Intn't travel/shipping ahead

Old September 10th, 2007, 08:15 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Barbara[_2_]

Default Intn't travel/shipping ahead

I have two questions. When you fly international to catch your cruise
(example, Chicago to London, London to Copenhagen) will our luggage be
transferred in London to the connecting flight or do we have to claim it
and then recheck it? If so, is it all in the same terminal at Heathrow?
(American Airlines to British Airways).

Second, do you know if the cruise line will let you ship something to
the port to be held for your cruise? My husband suggested this but I
thought it might be better to ship to the hotel. I think most hotels
will hold a package for you if you have a reservation.
Old September 10th, 2007, 09:56 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
JohnT[_3_]

"Barbara" wrote in message
news:d_CdnbbpOeVSCnjbnZ2dnUVZ_qygnZ2d@wideopenwest .com...
I have two questions. When you fly international to catch your cruise
(example, Chicago to London, London to Copenhagen) will our luggage be
transferred in London to the connecting flight or do we have to claim it
and then recheck it? If so, is it all in the same terminal at Heathrow?
(American Airlines to British Airways).

Second, do you know if the cruise line will let you ship something to the
port to be held for your cruise? My husband suggested this but I thought
it might be better to ship to the hotel. I think most hotels will hold a
package for you if you have a reservation.

I can answer only your first question. I assume that your flights are all on
the same booking (that you didn't buy your transatlantic and European
flights at different times). You will get your bags checked through to
Copenhagen and you will stay airside at Heathrow. You should also get
boarding cards for both your flights at Chicago. American use Terminal 3 at
Heathrow and BA uses Terminal 4 at Heathrow (Terminal 5 from April 2008).
Transfer information can be found at http://www.uk-air.net/LHRTransfer.htm
(with acknowledgements to Lansbury). Please also note that the maximum
checked bag weight on BA is 23kg (about 50 lbs).
--

JohnT

Old September 10th, 2007, 10:12 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Ray Goldenberg Ray Goldenberg is offline
Banned

On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 14:15:53 -0500, Barbara
wrote:

I have two questions. When you fly international to catch your cruise
(example, Chicago to London, London to Copenhagen) will our luggage be
transferred in London to the connecting flight or do we have to claim it
and then recheck it? If so, is it all in the same terminal at Heathrow?
(American Airlines to British Airways).

Hi Barbara,

John gave you an excellent answer to the above question. I would like
to add that you will only be allowed 1-caryon bag when you change
planes at LHR. This does not mean 1-caryon plus a purse, laptop, etc.
When they say ONE cany-on, they mean one per person. :+)

Second, do you know if the cruise line will let you ship something to
the port to be held for your cruise? My husband suggested this but I
thought it might be better to ship to the hotel. I think most hotels
will hold a package for you if you have a reservation.

You would be better off trying to ship to the hotel because most
cruise lines will not accept a bag shipped ahead of time. The other
alternative, albeit pricey, is to use one of the new services that
will pick up your bags at your home and deliver them to you at the
ship. Your travel agent can give you details of these services.

Best regards,
Ray
LIGHTHOUSE TRAVEL
800-719-9917 or 805-566-3905
http://www.lighthousetravel.com
Old September 11th, 2007, 02:43 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Barbara[_2_]

Thanks everyone for the advice.