Kidney Dialysis

Old April 2nd, 2005, 10:43 PM
MLD

Default Kidney Dialysis

Has anyone had to deal with Kidney Dialysis treatments while on a cruise?
Not on the ship but (with prior) arrangements made for on-shore treatments.
Interested in your experience.
MLD

Old April 3rd, 2005, 12:22 AM
cruzinsure

MLD wrote:
Has anyone had to deal with Kidney Dialysis treatments while on a cruise?
Not on the ship but (with prior) arrangements made for on-shore treatments.
Interested in your experience.
MLD

Ships miss ports all the time due to mechanical, weather, or other
reasons. If your life and health depend on receiving treatment on an
exact schedule you'd be taking a huge risk. Perhaps you should look into
some of the agencies that provide on-board treatment.
Old April 3rd, 2005, 04:01 AM
nekochan

My husband was on Peritoneal Dialysis. I can't imagine you'd want to
take a risk going ashore for treatment. First of all, ports can be
missed due to mechanical or weather problems. Secondly, would you want
to rely on the medical technology being both available and up to
standard? Usually, the dialysis cruise agencies bring the dialysis
machines, technicians and nephrologist on board and the dialysis is
performed during sea days so you don't miss time in port.

Personally, I wouldn't take a chance going ashore for the treatment.
What if there's a delay getting on the machine and you either have to
skip the treatment or miss the ship? Or what if there's complications
after the treatment such as blood pressure dropping? Are you going to
be able to leave in order to catch the ship?

For more about dialysis on cruises, google 'dialysis cruises' to find
the agencies. It's really the safest option.

Heidi

Old April 3rd, 2005, 03:45 PM
MLD

oups.com...

MLD wrote:
Has anyone had to deal with Kidney Dialysis treatments while on a

cruise?
Not on the ship but (with prior) arrangements made for on-shore

treatments.
Interested in your experience.
MLD

I don't have any problem and am making inquires for someone else who has
just started the dialysis process. All the comments about depending on the
ship's schedule, missing ports etc. are obvious thoughts that come to mind
first and should be seriously taken into account. However, what I'm looking
for is someone who has actually gone through the process. The center that
my friend is going to was all for not canceling any trip plans and to
continue on with the cruise. There is a social worker there that is almost
specially dedicated to making arrangements for people going on this type of
trip(s). She has all the cruise line ship schedules and itineraries and
will make all the appointments consistent with the ship and it's port of
call. She said "no problem, we do this all the time and have not had any
problems". Other than speculation--has anyone been involved with this type
of arrangement?
MLD

Old April 3rd, 2005, 04:14 PM
Ray Goldenberg

On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 14:45:01 GMT, "MLD" wrote:

Other than speculation--has anyone been involved with this type
of arrangement?

Hi,

FWIW, it is not speculation. At least one person who has answered you
ARE in this situation. They have not just made idle speculative
comments.

Best regards,
Ray
LIGHTHOUSE TRAVEL
800-719-9917 or 805-566-3905
http://www.lighthousetravel.com

Old April 3rd, 2005, 04:25 PM
George Leppla

"MLD" wrote

Other than speculation--has anyone been involved with this type
of arrangement?

As a travel agent who works with a lot of handicapped people, I respectfully
tell you that is one time when you had better pay close attention to
speculation. It is one thing to miss a shore excursion because you miss a
port, it is FAR different when you miss multiple ports and medical
treatment. To pass this off as speculation is dangerous.

I was once on a 7 day cruise that missed 2 ports due to weather. 4 days
without a shore stop. I just had a customer on a ship that also missed two
ports on a 10 day itinerary and they were at sea for five days.

There is a social worker there that is almost
specially dedicated to making arrangements for people going on this type of
trip(s). She has all the cruise line ship schedules and itineraries and
will make all the appointments consistent with the ship and it's port of
call. She said "no problem, we do this all the time and have not had any
problems".

In my opinion, this woman is a fool. Unless she has a direct line to God
and knows for a fact that each ship is guaranteed to be at every port as
scheduled, her advice could hurt someone drastically. Were your friend to
come to me wanting to book a cruise under these conditions, I would not make
the reservation.

--
George in PA http://www.countryside-travel.com

Miracle in May - http://www.cruisemaster.com/miracle.htm
The Mother of All Group Cruises 2 - http://www.moagc2.com/

Old April 3rd, 2005, 04:30 PM
Ray Goldenberg

On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 08:14:35 -0700, Ray Goldenberg
wrote:

At least one person who has answered you
ARE in this situation.

Hi Everyone,

Mrs Aleo, my 8th grade English teacher would not be proud of her star
pupil. ;+)
Let me try again:
At least one person who has answered you is in this situation.