They're at it in Crete too.

Old May 22nd, 2010, 04:04 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
aquachimp

Default They're at it in Crete too.

On May 22, 4:44*pm, "James Silverton"
wrote:
*aquachimp *wrote *on Sat, 22 May 2010 06:22:38 -0700 (PDT):

Now, obviously from the sheer weight of number of people
turning up at Scam Central (and that was just while we were
there) *clearly this say something about the Cretan Holiday
Experience ... just that if I were the Cretan authorities,
rather than relying on that hidden criteria as a measure of
success through which to further promote Crete, *I'd go for
chucking these scamsters out of my country. Or at least try to
ensure that all tourists are advised to go around looking as
miserable as possible at all times.

As Douglas Hoffstadter put it : 'Epimenides was a Cretan who made one
immortal statement: "All Cretans are liars." *' The quotation from
Epimenides has actually been around since the third century BC.

Aah, but "immortal" and "true" are evidentially not mutually
exclusive, or at least this experience offered no such evidence given
that the scammers were of just about every nationality except Greek.
(assuming the taxis were independent)

Old May 22nd, 2010, 04:16 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
aquachimp

On May 22, 4:38*pm, BP killed my turtle
wrote:
On May 22, 3:22*pm, aquachimp
wrote:

On May 22, 3:00*pm, (David Horne, _the_ chancellor

(*)) wrote:
Andy Pandy wrote:
"aquachimp" wrote in message
Oddly enough, there's not much mention about this kind of thing
here.
Or does it go by another name.

I suspect it's never mentioned here because most people who post here
are independant travellers who don't go on "beach" holidays or to
typical package holiday destinations where these scum operate.

Never bumped into them myself, certainly. Maybe I just look as if I'm
skint?

Nah, that aint it; I've been doing some research into the scams prime
target selection and I since found one site claiming to reveal all.
It's not that they're looking out for package holiday destination
tourists, nor childless couples, or "newbie" tourists.
No, what they pick out are people who look like they are having fun
and clearly enjoying their holiday.

*gullible ?!

Hmm, can't say I saw a mention of gullible.
http://www.ehow.com/how_2272842_spot...avel-scam.html

However, there is a scientific basis that would agree with that, or at
least from what I read in a fairly recent New Scientist, or Scientific
American magazine which pointed out that happiness makes people more
prone to being gullible.

What might interest you though is that there's a sort of "save our
turtles" campaign going on there. But no, it 's not the BP ones; We
saw the kiosk near the opening to the harbour car park. Previously,
the holiday rep had mentioned something about turtles coming ashore to
nest and that was about all he seemed to know about the place, though
it seems now that his direction were about 15 km out (he was
suggesting to the West of Scam Central, when in fact it's to the east
and , oh, they don't do the nesting gig until late July -to August, so
he got that bit wrong too.
Old May 22nd, 2010, 04:55 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
martin

On 22/05/10 16:38, BP killed my turtle wrote:

(*)) wrote:
Andy Pandy wrote:
"aquachimp" wrote in message
Oddly enough, there's not much mention about this kind of thing
here.
Or does it go by another name.

I suspect it's never mentioned here because most people who post here
are independant travellers who don't go on "beach" holidays or to
typical package holiday destinations where these scum operate.

Never bumped into them myself, certainly. Maybe I just look as if I'm
skint?

Nah, that aint it; I've been doing some research into the scams prime
target selection and I since found one site claiming to reveal all.
It's not that they're looking out for package holiday destination
tourists, nor childless couples, or "newbie" tourists.
No, what they pick out are people who look like they are having fun
and clearly enjoying their holiday.

gullible ?!

In Lanzarote they were indiscriminate. We had flu, hated the place and
even tried to go home a week early and they still accosted us.
Old May 22nd, 2010, 05:00 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
BP killed my turtle

On May 22, 5:16*pm, aquachimp
wrote:
On May 22, 4:38*pm, BP killed my turtle
wrote:

(*)) wrote:
Andy Pandy wrote:
"aquachimp" wrote in message
[...]

Be wary of people who approach you....nuff sed

Old May 22nd, 2010, 05:20 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
martin

On 22/05/10 18:00, BP killed my turtle wrote:
On May 22, 5:16 pm, aquachimp
wrote:
On May 22, 4:38 pm, BP killed my turtle
wrote:

(*)) wrote:
Andy Pandy wrote:
"aquachimp" wrote in message
[...]

and avoid Greeks bearing gifts. )
Old May 22nd, 2010, 05:43 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Andy Pandy

"David Horne, _the_ chancellor (*)" wrote in
message ...
Andy Pandy wrote:

"aquachimp" wrote in message
Oddly enough, there's not much mention about this kind of thing
here.
Or does it go by another name.

I suspect it's never mentioned here because most people who post
here
are independant travellers who don't go on "beach" holidays or to
typical package holiday destinations where these scum operate.

Never bumped into them myself, certainly. Maybe I just look as if
I'm
skint?

They're looking for "couples", and although you may travel as a couple
I guess you might not be obviously identifiable as such ;-)

--
Andy

Old May 22nd, 2010, 06:05 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
martin

Andy Pandy wrote:

"aquachimp" wrote in message
Oddly enough, there's not much mention about this kind of thing
here.
Or does it go by another name.

I suspect it's never mentioned here because most people who post
here
are independant travellers who don't go on "beach" holidays or to
typical package holiday destinations where these scum operate.

Never bumped into them myself, certainly. Maybe I just look as if
I'm
skint?

They're looking for "couples", and although you may travel as a couple
I guess you might not be obviously identifiable as such ;-)

They look for gullible suckers.
Old May 22nd, 2010, 06:29 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
aquachimp

On May 22, 6:00*pm, BP killed my turtle
wrote:
On May 22, 5:16*pm, aquachimp
wrote:

On May 22, 4:38*pm, BP killed my turtle
wrote:

(*)) wrote:
Andy Pandy wrote:
"aquachimp" wrote in message
[...]

Cautiously succinctly expressed. But easier said than done.

Put it this way, I popped along here into Usenet Street and in
posting this thread I have in effect approached everybody. What's
more, though not Greek, I did so bearing the Gifts of information and
opportunity/excuse to converse.

Not everyone has avoided me.

A holiday, such as what I've just had, is a feast of freedom and
borrowing the phrase "we are what we eat" feasting of freedom lends us
to living more freely and, I suspect, even free from a conscious sense
of freedom. So when approached, as we were, the under current sense of
freedom expressed itself thus, like someone whispering in your ear
saying... ooh go on, listen, check it out, you'll be doing him a
favour, you're free to walk away any time you want.

Trouble is, the same undercurrent, which is the real Trojan Horse at
work here expresses itself in the same way as each greater step of
risk is encountered. And that's why I think (though making it up as I
go along) is why some people get duped, other than those who are
tortured into it through tedium, hunger, thirst or as one couple I've
since read about, the woman was diabetic, became ill as a consequence
of all the missed meal delays, but the scammers still wouldn't let
them go until the husband signed on the dotted line.
Old May 22nd, 2010, 06:48 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
aquachimp

On May 22, 7:05*pm, Martin wrote:
On 22/05/10 18:43, Andy Pandy wrote:

"David Horne, _the_ chancellor (*)" wrote in
. uk...
Andy Pandy wrote:

"aquachimp" wrote in message
Oddly enough, there's not much mention about this kind of thing
here.
Or does it go by another name.

I suspect it's never mentioned here because most people who post
here
are independant travellers who don't go on "beach" holidays or to
typical package holiday destinations where these scum operate.

Never bumped into them myself, certainly. Maybe I just look as if
I'm
skint?

They're looking for "couples", and although you may travel as a couple
I guess you might not be obviously identifiable as such ;-)

They look for gullible suckers.

Nah, that doesn't quite work either because they clearly avoid locals
and there's bound to be a few gullible suckers in every community and
not necessarily ones that are part of a couple.
If you turn over stones in search of slugs, it's not the stones you're
looking for.
So if you turn over gullible suckers, it's their money you're after,
so here "couples" represent location, "gullible suckers" are stones
and their money is what you're looking for.