Trains in Europe (again)--recommendation

Old March 1st, 2016, 12:03 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
W. Wesley Groleau

Default Trains in Europe (again)--recommendation

I have to be in London at the beginning of April.

I have to be in a tiny village in Navarre 20 April.

I have to be near Sibiu, Romania early June (but need at least a day in
Bucharest first).

In between, I'd like to take trains from London to Pamplona, with a few
one- or two-day stops along the way. But not too many, because I want
to bicycle from Pamplona to Zamora before I report to Villamayor de
MonjardÃ*n on the 20th.

From Villamayor, bus to ?? and then train to Bucharest around the
beginning of June, Again, a few one- or two-day stops along the way
would be nice but not to delay my arrival in Bucharest/Sibiu very much.

Earlier, someone suggested night trains, to save lodging costs AND keep
the day free for wandering. Sounds good.

Low cost would be nice, too. Maybe a pass would be worthwhile. While
working in Villamayor, I pass my 62nd birthday, if that affects prices.

Recommendations?

--
Wes Groleau
Old March 1st, 2016, 11:40 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Paul Aubrin

On Mon, 29 Feb 2016 18:03:40 -0500, W. Wesley Groleau wrote:

I have to be in London at the beginning of April.

I have to be in a tiny village in Navarre 20 April.

I have to be near Sibiu, Romania early June (but need at least a day in
Bucharest first).

In between, I'd like to take trains from London to Pamplona, with a few
one- or two-day stops along the way. But not too many, because I want
to bicycle from Pamplona to Zamora before I report to Villamayor de
MonjardÃ*n on the 20th.

From Villamayor, bus to ?? and then train to Bucharest around the
beginning of June, Again, a few one- or two-day stops along the way
would be nice but not to delay my arrival in Bucharest/Sibiu very much.

Earlier, someone suggested night trains, to save lodging costs AND keep
the day free for wandering. Sounds good.

Low cost would be nice, too. Maybe a pass would be worthwhile. While
working in Villamayor, I pass my 62nd birthday, if that affects prices.

Recommendations?

From Paris to Spain, there are few night trains:
Paris-Austerlitz 21H52 Hendaye Irun 9h25
http://www.sncf.com/ressources/409_0.pdf

Paris 21H39-Latour de Carol international station (near Andorra) 7H51
http://www.sncf.com/fr/trains/interc...is-austerlitz-
latour-de-carol-luchon-cerbere

http://www.sncf.com/fr/trains/intercites/reseau

Old March 5th, 2016, 02:32 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
W. Wesley Groleau

On 03-01-2016 05:40, Paul Aubrin wrote:
From Paris to Spain, there are few night trains:

THANKS!
Been off-line for a week, but I'll look into these, now that I'm back.

--
Wes Groleau
Old March 11th, 2016, 06:25 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Michael[_1_]

On 1/03/2016 11:40, Paul Aubrin wrote:
On Mon, 29 Feb 2016 18:03:40 -0500, W. Wesley Groleau wrote:

I have to be in London at the beginning of April.

I have to be in a tiny village in Navarre 20 April.

I have to be near Sibiu, Romania early June (but need at least a day in
Bucharest first).

In between, I'd like to take trains from London to Pamplona, with a few
one- or two-day stops along the way. But not too many, because I want
to bicycle from Pamplona to Zamora before I report to Villamayor de
MonjardÃ*n on the 20th.

From Villamayor, bus to ?? and then train to Bucharest around the
beginning of June, Again, a few one- or two-day stops along the way
would be nice but not to delay my arrival in Bucharest/Sibiu very much.

Earlier, someone suggested night trains, to save lodging costs AND keep
the day free for wandering. Sounds good.

Low cost would be nice, too. Maybe a pass would be worthwhile. While
working in Villamayor, I pass my 62nd birthday, if that affects prices.

Recommendations?

From Paris to Spain, there are few night trains:
Paris-Austerlitz 21H52 Hendaye Irun 9h25
http://www.sncf.com/ressources/409_0.pdf

Paris 21H39-Latour de Carol international station (near Andorra) 7H51
http://www.sncf.com/fr/trains/interc...is-austerlitz-
latour-de-carol-luchon-cerbere

http://www.sncf.com/fr/trains/intercites/reseau

I read recently that the SNCF is going to scrap a few night trains, as
cheap air flights have made them loss-makers.

I can't find the more recent article, but here's an old one:

$http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...leeper-service

http://cannes-or-bust.com

Old March 17th, 2016, 08:51 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tom P[_6_]

On 03/05/2016 02:32 AM, W. Wesley Groleau wrote:
On 03-01-2016 05:40, Paul Aubrin wrote:
From Paris to Spain, there are few night trains:

THANKS!
Been off-line for a week, but I'll look into these, now that I'm back.

Overnight sleeper trains are being phased out.
Old March 17th, 2016, 08:53 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tom P[_6_]

On 03/11/2016 06:25 PM, Michael wrote:
On 1/03/2016 11:40, Paul Aubrin wrote:
On Mon, 29 Feb 2016 18:03:40 -0500, W. Wesley Groleau wrote:

I have to be in London at the beginning of April.

I have to be in a tiny village in Navarre 20 April.

I have to be near Sibiu, Romania early June (but need at least a day in
Bucharest first).

In between, I'd like to take trains from London to Pamplona, with a few
one- or two-day stops along the way. But not too many, because I want
to bicycle from Pamplona to Zamora before I report to Villamayor de
MonjardÃ*n on the 20th.

From Villamayor, bus to ?? and then train to Bucharest around the
beginning of June, Again, a few one- or two-day stops along the way
would be nice but not to delay my arrival in Bucharest/Sibiu very much.

Earlier, someone suggested night trains, to save lodging costs AND keep
the day free for wandering. Sounds good.

Low cost would be nice, too. Maybe a pass would be worthwhile. While
working in Villamayor, I pass my 62nd birthday, if that affects prices.

Recommendations?

From Paris to Spain, there are few night trains:
Paris-Austerlitz 21H52 Hendaye Irun 9h25
http://www.sncf.com/ressources/409_0.pdf

Paris 21H39-Latour de Carol international station (near Andorra) 7H51
http://www.sncf.com/fr/trains/interc...is-austerlitz-
latour-de-carol-luchon-cerbere

http://www.sncf.com/fr/trains/intercites/reseau

I read recently that the SNCF is going to scrap a few night trains, as
cheap air flights have made them loss-makers.

I can't find the more recent article, but here's an old one:

$http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...leeper-service

http://cannes-or-bust.com

They may sound romantic bt they make zero commercial sense any more.

Old March 18th, 2016, 09:23 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Giovanni Drogo

On Thu, 17 Mar 2016, Tom P wrote:

Earlier, someone suggested night trains, to save lodging costs
AND keep the day free for wandering. Sounds good.

They may sound romantic bt they make zero commercial sense any more.

I do not care a bip about romantic, but they make fully sense for the
pocket and the time (- time is money) of the passenger. With a night
train I can leave after work (possibly after supper) and arrive in the
morning say before 8am so that I can start a work meeting at 9am. Any
equivalent combination (flight+hotel, high speed train+hotel) is likely
to cost more, and waste more time.
Old March 18th, 2016, 07:17 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
tim...[_2_]

"Tom P" wrote in message
On 03/05/2016 02:32 AM, W. Wesley Groleau wrote:
On 03-01-2016 05:40, Paul Aubrin wrote:
From Paris to Spain, there are few night trains:

THANKS!
Been off-line for a week, but I'll look into these, now that I'm back.

Overnight sleeper trains are being phased out.

ITWYM is: Overnight sleeper trains are becoming little used and as such
unprofitable (if indeed they ever were profitable) and train operators are
realising that the subsidy required to keep them is better spent elsewhere

tim

Old March 19th, 2016, 02:04 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tom P[_6_]

On 03/18/2016 09:23 AM, Giovanni Drogo wrote:
On Thu, 17 Mar 2016, Tom P wrote:

Earlier, someone suggested night trains, to save lodging costs
AND keep the day free for wandering. Sounds good.

They may sound romantic bt they make zero commercial sense any more.

I do not care a bip about romantic, but they make fully sense for the
pocket and the time (- time is money) of the passenger. With a night
train I can leave after work (possibly after supper) and arrive in the
morning say before 8am so that I can start a work meeting at 9am. Any
equivalent combination (flight+hotel, high speed train+hotel) is likely
to cost more, and waste more time.

YOu can actually work after sleeping all night in a train????
Old March 19th, 2016, 03:41 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Ken Blake[_3_]

On Fri, 18 Mar 2016 09:23:55 +0100, Giovanni Drogo
wrote:

On Thu, 17 Mar 2016, Tom P wrote:

Earlier, someone suggested night trains, to save lodging costs
AND keep the day free for wandering. Sounds good.

They may sound romantic bt they make zero commercial sense any more.

I do not care a bip about romantic, but they make fully sense for the
pocket and the time (- time is money) of the passenger. With a night
train I can leave after work (possibly after supper) and arrive in the
morning say before 8am so that I can start a work meeting at 9am. Any
equivalent combination (flight+hotel, high speed train+hotel) is likely
to cost more, and waste more time.

My wife and I did the same thing once, a number of years ago, not with
a train, but a ship from Napoli to Palermo. It worked very well for
us.