Venise en Bed and Breakfast.

Old June 12th, 2005, 07:32 PM
Ken Blake

In ,
Deep Foiled Malls
typed:

On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 15:45:12 -0700, "Ken Blake"
wrote:

In
,
Gerrit 't Hart typed:

"algiardino" wrote in message
oups.com...

Le bed and breakfast "Al Giardino" se trouve près de Centro
Historique
de Venise, en Italie. Les nôtre bed and breakfast il loue des
chambres

And I thought this was an English language newsgroup.

You were wrong. It's an International newsgroup, where all
languages are welcome.

Nah, it's an English speakers newsgroups. I don't mind reading
the odd
bit of swahili stuff here, but it's 99.5% English, and should
be
treated as such.

Nope. It's true that it's overwhelmingly English, but that
doesn't make it a requirement. It's an international group (as
are almost all newsgroups, unless explicitly stated otherwise).

You are free, of course, to read or not read whatever posts you
want, choosing by language, poster, or any other criterion you
like.

--
Ken Blake
Please reply to the newsgroup

Old June 12th, 2005, 07:45 PM
chancellor of the duchy of besses o' th' barn and

Magda ? wrote:

On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 19:02:59 +0100, in rec.travel.europe,
(chancellor of the duchy of besses o'
th' barn and prestwich tesco) arranged some electrons, so they looked like
this :

... Magda ? wrote:
... On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 17:04:12 GMT, in rec.travel.europe, Deep Foiled
... Malls arranged some
... electrons, so they looked like this :
... ... On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 00:25:31 +0200, Alfred Molon
... ... wrote:
... ...
... ... In article , Padraig
... ... Breathnach says...
... ...
... ... a European.
... ...
... ... It's "an English", but "a European" - why ?
... ...
... ... Because it's not the initial letter that determines "a" or
... ... "an", but the sound of the initial letter that does. European
... ... starts with a 'y' sound, so it's "a" European.
... I don't like your "explanation", guys.
... It's a perfectly good one, and easy to understand. I can't think of any
... exceptions to it (can anyone?)- dialect variations notwithstanding. For
... example, some people will correctly say "an herb"- others "a herb." All
... depends on whether or not the initial "h" is silent or not.

Y sounds like a vowel to me.

It's not usually, in English. It's technically a glide, or a semivowel.
Another example of one is "w" as in weekend, and you don't say or write
"an weekend" in English either.

And E *looks* like a vowel, too !

As was explained already, it's the sound that is important.

--
David Horne-
www.davidhorne.net
Old June 12th, 2005, 08:11 PM
Terry Richards

"Magda " ? wrote in message

Y sounds like a vowel to me. And E *looks* like a vowel, too !

The vowel sounds are the ones you can sing. They are entirely formed by the
throat & mouth without the involvement of the tongue or lips. All of the
consonants involve the tongue.

The letter Y can take either a consonant or vowel sound depending on the
word. Often, but not exclusively, it depends on the position of the Y within
the word. If the Y is at the beginning or in the middle it generally takes a
consonant sound, if it is at the end it generally takes a vowel sound. Try
saying "Yield" and "Mary" and notice what your tongue is doing.

European is pronounced (in English) as if it has a (consonant) Y at the
beginning and thus, quite properly, is associated with "a". If you were to
pronounce it French-style (ooropean) then it would associate with "an".

T.

Old June 12th, 2005, 08:23 PM
chancellor of the duchy of besses o' th' barn and

Magda ? wrote:

On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 19:45:44 +0100, in rec.travel.europe,
(chancellor of the duchy of besses o'
th' barn and prestwich tesco) arranged some electrons, so they looked like
this :

[]
... It's not usually, in English. It's technically a glide, or a semivowel.
... Another example of one is "w" as in weekend, and you don't say or write
... "an weekend" in English either.

Given that W is *not* a vowel, no, I don't.

Nor is Y- as I wrote, it's a glide- a semivowel. Y and W (though less
often in the case of W) are both semivowels. They can function as both,
which doesn't mean they are both, and certainly not all the time. You
wouldn't say "an yellow box" either- well, you could, but it would be
incorrect. There are hardly any words in English where, when a word
begins with a "y" it functions as a vowel.

... And E *looks* like a vowel, too !
... As was explained already, it's the sound that is important.

Yes, Y sounds like a vowel.

Not in the word "Yellow" it doesn't, just as the sound at the beginning
of the word "Europe" is not a vowel either. Most english words that
begin with Y don't have it sound like a vowel. The ones that do are
often technical terms (medicine, chemistry)- I can't think of any
offhand- but I'm sure there are plenty.

--
David Horne-
www.davidhorne.net
Old June 12th, 2005, 08:29 PM
Ken Blake

In
news:1gy282q.mume4g1x3d24kN%this_address_is_for_sp ,
chancellor of the duchy of besses o' th' barn and prestwich tesco
typed:

Most english
words that begin with Y don't have it sound like a vowel. The
ones
that do are often technical terms (medicine, chemistry)- I
can't
think of any offhand- but I'm sure there are plenty.

The word starting with "y" as a vowel that immediately sprang to
my mind was "yclept (admittedly archaic).

Chemical terms include the elements "yttrium" and ytterbium."

Old June 12th, 2005, 08:32 PM

Ken Blake wrote:

In
news:1gy282q.mume4g1x3d24kN%this_address_is_for_sp ,
chancellor of the duchy of besses o' th' barn and prestwich tesco
typed:

Most english
words that begin with Y don't have it sound like a vowel. The
ones
that do are often technical terms (medicine, chemistry)- I
can't
think of any offhand- but I'm sure there are plenty.

The word starting with "y" as a vowel that immediately sprang to
my mind was "yclept (admittedly archaic).

What a lovely word!

Chemical terms include the elements "yttrium" and ytterbium."

Those were about the only ones I know about!

--
David Horne- www.davidhorne.net
Old June 12th, 2005, 09:53 PM
Alfred Molon

In article , Deep Foiled
Malls says...

Nah, it's an English speakers newsgroups. I don't mind reading the odd
bit of swahili stuff here, but it's 99.5% English, and should be
treated as such.

And "swahili stuff" is insulting.
--

Alfred Molon

http://www.molon.de/Galleries.htm - Photos from China, Myanmar, Brunei,
Malaysia, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Nepal, Egypt, Germany, Austria,
Prague, Budapest, Singapore and Portugal
Old June 12th, 2005, 09:53 PM
Alfred Molon

In article 1gy24tr.7gqzjl1hmf60fN%this_address_is_for_spam@y ahoo.com,
chancellor of the duchy of besses o' th' barn and prestwich tesco
says...

It's a perfectly good one, and easy to understand. I can't think of any
exceptions to it (can anyone?)- dialect variations notwithstanding. For
example, some people will correctly say "an herb"- others "a herb." All
depends on whether or not the initial "h" is silent or not.

I thought "a herb" was correct.