renting a car in Ireland?

Old October 21st, 2003, 01:06 AM
Steve Phillips

Default renting a car in Ireland?

"Hans-Ulrich Steingrobe" wrote in message

SNIP

Driving in Ireland is very pleasant because it is quite relaxed,
compared to Germany

WHEW! I've never driven in Germany....it must be a rush!!!!

Old October 21st, 2003, 10:16 AM
Mark Hewitt

"Karen Walker" wrote in message
"Georg Schwarz" wrote in message
"Karen Walker" writes:

this should depend on the precise MC or Visa card of yours. Not all MC

or
Visa are the same.

According to the rental offices in Ireland, this benefit/exclusion applies
to any U.S.-issued Gold Visa or Gold Mastercard. I was told by several
different companies that they would waive the CDW if I used any
Gold/Platinum MasterCard from any U.S. bank.

Exactly. Hence the quote that not all cards are the same. UK issued ones
presumably will not have this cover.

Old October 21st, 2003, 10:21 AM
Mark Hewitt

Yes, you should not rent a car bigger than the smallest; we had a Fiesta
(2 persons) there and that was great - for two reasons:

I would agree for Americans visiting not to be tempted to get a car which is
similar in size to what you see in America. I've seen so many Americans at
car rental places renting cars the size of houses! They will have trouble,
not just on the roads but also with parking etc.

- there is left hand drive and it is good not to have so much car left
of you if you are not use to it

Irish cars are RIGHT hand drive! i.e. Steering wheel is on the right. No
worries for me but on the converse I found it difficult to get used to
having so much of the car on the right of me when driving in the USA.

- more important: Irish roads can be VERY narrow

agreed. Another point for smaller cars.

Driving in Ireland is very pleasant because it is quite relaxed,
compared to Germany

I didn't experience that around Dublin, especially on the dual carridgeways,
they are all completely mad!

Old October 21st, 2003, 05:35 PM
Allan

I get an automatic upgrade when I rent because I rent cars very often.
So when I picked up my hire car in Dublin I was very happy to get into
this rather luxurious Nissan with power stearing etc.

I was gleeful driving out of Dublin but my glee changed to fear when I
hit the narrow roads missing dairy and fuel tankers, buses and lorries
by micro metres.

I think I left the cars paint on most of the lorries in Kerry, Clare and
Mayo.

Old October 22nd, 2003, 01:07 AM
Suz

Driving in Ireland is very pleasant because it is quite relaxed,
compared to Germany

I didn't experience that around Dublin, especially on the dual

carridgeways,
they are all completely mad!

Only Dublin! I live in Belfast, and the Dublin area is more like Madrid
than any other city. If some-one cuts you up, you are not suprised to see
"D" on the number plate leading to an exasperated "It's a Dublin driver!".
Belfast is calm, people let you out, rarely is a horn parmped, and it is
generally relaxing unlike our mad counterparts on the continent. Limerick,
Cork, Waterford, Donegal etc are also chilled. The rest of rural Ireland is
really still snails pace, with no signalling etc. Quite charming.

Old October 22nd, 2003, 09:08 AM
Hans-Ulrich Steingrobe

Mark Hewitt schrieb:
=

Yes, you should not rent a car bigger than the smallest; we had a Fie=

sta
(2 persons) there and that was great - for two reasons:

=

I would agree for Americans visiting not to be tempted to get a car whi=

ch is
similar in size to what you see in America. I've seen so many Americans=

at
car rental places renting cars the size of houses! They will have troub=

le,
not just on the roads but also with parking etc.

Yes, that is exactly what I want not to happen to Georg, that's why I
told him. BTW when I rented the car and I told the agent I wanted the
smallest size he smiled and said "I see you have been to Ireland
before". Which I hadn't but that tells me I was perfectly right.

- there is left hand drive and it is good not to have so much car lef=

of you if you are not use to it

=

Irish cars are RIGHT hand drive! i.e. Steering wheel is on the right. N=

Of course! Sorry I wanted to say they drive on the left hand side of the
road.

Driving in Ireland is very pleasant because it is quite relaxed,
compared to Germany

=

I didn't experience that around Dublin, especially on the dual carridge=

ways,
they are all completely mad!

Yes you are right; But I think most of the driving will be done outside
Dublin...

Ulli

-- =

Hans-Ulrich Steingrobe Die menschliche Schw=E4che,
Fahrzeuge mit gef=E4hrlichen Geschwindigkeiten
zu benutzen, werde ich nie verstehen.
(Data zu Picard, Star Trek Nemesis)
Old October 22nd, 2003, 10:47 PM
Des O'Donoghue

Suz wrote:
Driving in Ireland is very pleasant because it is quite relaxed,
compared to Germany

I didn't experience that around Dublin, especially on the dual
carridgeways, they are all completely mad!

Only Dublin! I live in Belfast, and the Dublin area is more like
Madrid than any other city. If some-one cuts you up, you are not
suprised to see "D" on the number plate leading to an exasperated
"It's a Dublin driver!". Belfast is calm, people let you out, rarely
is a horn parmped, and it is generally relaxing unlike our mad
counterparts on the continent. Limerick, Cork, Waterford, Donegal
etc are also chilled. The rest of rural Ireland is really still
snails pace, with no signalling etc. Quite charming.

yeah if you like tractors and jcbs sauntering along the "main" road at 20mph
keeping you from getting to where you want to go. The main road between Cork
(2nd largest city) and Limerick (3rd largest) goes through Charleville. This
is mad on a saturday with country folk driving slowly, taking forever to
park their car and generally fouling things up.

It may be quaint if you´re a visitor but it´s a pain for natives..

Old October 22nd, 2003, 11:18 PM
Suz

"Des O'Donoghue" wrote in message
Suz wrote:
[...]

Oi my da was one of themins on a tractor goin slow. You live longer if you
don't get stressed.

Old October 23rd, 2003, 07:50 PM
Des O'Donoghue

Suz wrote:
[...]

ya haveta live longer it takes so long to get somewhere that if you had a
normal life expectancy you´d die on the journey ! :-)

you´re right there- stress kills...especially if it causes you to overtake
on a bad bend..