Royal Caribbean International and Celebrity Cruises Announce Environmental Ship of the Year Awards

Old July 9th, 2004, 09:36 PM
Dick Goldhaber

Default Royal Caribbean International and Celebrity Cruises Announce Environmental Ship of the Year Awards

MIAMI, July 9 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Royal Caribbean International and
Celebrity Cruises today announced their Environmental Ship Of The Year
awards, with Radiance of the Seas being honored by Royal Caribbean and
Millennium being honored by Celebrity.

The annual awards are designed to encourage the two brands' long-standing
commitment to environmental innovation and improvement. Competition for the
awards assists the cruise lines in progressively advancing their
environmental performance in manners that go above and beyond regulatory
compliance. Judging for the awards was conducted by the independent external
auditing firm of Haley and Aldrich, which audits all 19 Royal Caribbean and
10 Celebrity ships for adherence to their Environmental Compliance Plans.
This is the fifth annual presentation of the award to a Royal Caribbean ship
and the second annual presentation to a Celebrity ship.
The announcement was made today, during a conference call with both fleets,
by Jack Williams, President and Chief Operating Officer of Royal Caribbean
International and Celebrity Cruises, and Capt. William Wright, Senior Vice
President for Safety and Environment.

"I congratulate the crew members of both Radiance of the Seas and Millennium
for their outstanding achievements," Williams said. "I also thank all of our
employees on all of our ships for the tremendous job they do to continually
improve our environmental performance. They are truly dedicated to
environmental excellence."

The selection of the Environmental Ship Of The Year awards was based on
seven criteria established by Royal Caribbean, Celebrity, and their
independent external auditors, and covered all of 2003. The criteria
evaluated includes audit findings related to environmental performance,
timeliness and effectiveness of corrective actions, reports of near
incidents and non- conformities, the submission of monthly environmental
status reports and performance of pollution prevention equipment.

The Radiance of the Seas crew was praised for embarking on an aggressive
campaign to dramatically conserve fuel and reduce gray water generation.
Both of these initiatives were successful, with the ship realizing a 55
percent reduction in fuel usage and the generation of 30 percent less gray
water. Additionally, the ship's crew was credited for its outstanding
external and internal audit results regarding the company's Environmental
Compliance Plan and its Safety and Quality Management system. Additionally,
the ship's crew was recognized for its enthusiasm and dedication to
continuous improvement in their environmental program and demonstrating this
throughout the year.

Millennium's management team was praised for aggressively educating all new
crew members about their responsibilities for further environmental
conservation and the ship's environmental compliance goals. The crew was
cited for its hard work put forth in its continuous improvement efforts and
in accomplishing its environmental program objectives. The crew also was
credited for its outstanding external and internal audit results regarding
the company's Environmental Compliance Plan and its Safety and Quality
Management system.

"I appreciate the many efforts our employees make to improve the
environmental performance of our ships," Wright said. "Every undertaking,
whether large or small, helps us move forward in our process of continuous
improvement."

Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. is a global cruise vacation company that
operates Royal Caribbean International and Celebrity Cruises, with a
combined total of 29 ships in service and one under construction. The
company also offers unique cruisetour vacations in Alaska, Canada and
Europe. Additional information can be found on
http://www.royalcaribbean.com, http://www.celebrity.com or
http://www.rclinvestor.com.

----
Source: Royal Caribbean International; Celebrity Cruises

Old July 9th, 2004, 09:50 PM
Dick Goldhaber

Oops! Sorry about that, Ray.
--