What do you give up?

Old July 6th, 2004, 11:31 PM
jcoulter

Default What do you give up?

Lunyma mentioned being put down for cmplaining while on a fam trip cruise.
I know that I have been admonished that I am a guest and not to squawk but
arent' there some pretty easy to see limits?

One doesn't compalian about one's cabin when getting a great rate. One
doesn't bad mouth the line to other passengers. But what if one is asked,
what is you favorite cruise line? does one give up the right to answer
truthfully or does one parrot "this ONE!!"

I think we owe it to our hosts to be respectfull but if there is a problem
it should be resovled for any passenger. As Lunyma said how else can you be
sure that your clients will be well served?

So how far does civility go? Any ideas?

Old July 7th, 2004, 01:04 AM
Brian K

On 07/06/2004 6:31 PM jcoulter after palpating a Gingko, electronically
interjected:

Lunyma mentioned being put down for cmplaining while on a fam trip cruise.
I know that I have been admonished that I am a guest and not to squawk but
arent' there some pretty easy to see limits?

One doesn't compalian about one's cabin when getting a great rate. One
doesn't bad mouth the line to other passengers. But what if one is asked,
what is you favorite cruise line? does one give up the right to answer
truthfully or does one parrot "this ONE!!"

I think we owe it to our hosts to be respectfull but if there is a problem
it should be resovled for any passenger. As Lunyma said how else can you be
sure that your clients will be well served?

So how far does civility go? Any ideas?

My sister is a TA. I've been her guest both on fam trips and incentive
trips. Karen has complained if service is not up to par. She didn't
say anything when I wore a Princess windbreaker on a HAL ship. However,
I know better than to complain about some of her personal habits in the
cabin we share. She likes the drapes open so the sun will wake her in
the morning. The sun wakes ME at 5:30 am, while she slumbers until 9:30
am! I just take a nap sometime during the day. Other than that, I'm
free to complain or whatever.

I have learned to be diplomatic while honest when sitting at the
President of her travel company's table. When asked which cruise line I
like: "I haven't been on all of them yet, it's too soon to say." or
with a real big grin on my face "Whichever one gets me invited back for
another free cruise!" ;-)

--
________
To email me, Edit "xt" from my email address.

Old July 7th, 2004, 02:04 AM
RayC

Brian K wrote:

snip
I have learned to be diplomatic while honest when sitting at the
President of her travel company's table. When asked which cruise line I
like: "I haven't been on all of them yet, it's too soon to say." or
with a real big grin on my face "Whichever one gets me invited back for
another free cruise!" ;-)

So, in other words, you give up honesty and your own
personal integrity in exchange for a free cruise?

No, Brian, when a president of a company asks you for your
opinion, he/she wants it ... not a cop out, noncommittal
answer that doesn't say anything. That's how they improve
their business. When I get honest feedback from someone
that I have asked to test a product for me, I am sure to ask
them again if I need another test.

You may want to give that president a thorough report on
what you found on the fam trip... even if it is through your
sister. That way, the boss knows that it is actually
valuable to send her on these trips.

Just my $.02

--
Ray Contreras
Old July 7th, 2004, 02:22 AM
Dick Goldhaber

When we went on our first Crystal cruise we went with a young lady who had
been on many Crystal cruises, and through her we were introduced, pre-sail
in New York, to many of the Crystal execs who were seeing the ship off on
the 50th Anniversary of D-Day cruise.

Art Sbarsky specifically asked us to e-mail him with our impressions of the
ship and he was specific that he wanted to know both what we liked and what
we didn't like.

If one is not honest, how do the faults get fixed?
--
DG in Cherry Hill, NJ

"RayC" wrote in message

snip

Old July 7th, 2004, 03:00 AM
kuki

You NEVER give up, or compromise, your integrity! The cruise lines value
honest opinions reflecting both the positive and negative aspects of your
cruise experience.

They can normally quite easily differentiate between honest opinions and
reflections, and simple whining.

If there's a problem that you feel can be addressed and remedied onboard you
should speak up as it happens, to a person who's in a position to do
something about it... so it can be dealt with.

All of this is particularly true of travel agents, writers, or others "in
the industry". If you keep "your mouth shut", as to not offend, in hopes of
being invited back, you're in the wrong field.

Regards,
Kuki
Features Editor
http://cruisemates.com
Internet Cruise Magazine
Fun and Friendship= http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/CMcruise

Old July 7th, 2004, 07:35 PM
Skip Elliott Bowman

"kuki" wrote in message
[...]

As a travel writer, this has not always been my experience, nor has it been
the experience of Chris Elliott, ombudsman for National Geographic Traveler
magazine. He recounts one time back in the old days he was on a press trip
to Sandals St. Lucia (another AI of which I've read negative--as well as
positive-- reports). It was fraught with difficulties, which he recounted
in his article (for another magazine) which the editor decided to publish.
Butch Stewart, the owner of the Sandals property, wrote a scathing reply to
the editor, dismissing all the negative aspects and pulled all his
advertising from that magazine (worth over $1 million). Few travel
magazines can afford a hit like that, so the magazine sent another writer
down to repair the damage by writing the usual "boy this place is great"
article. Stewart then resumed business with the magazine.

I was sent on a press trip to Grenada a few years back, also fraught with
difficulties: my room was burgled, the music festival I was supposed to
cover was completely bungled in ways you can only imagine, and my driver
completely flaked out--he ditched me several times including my ride back to
the airport. My flight was at 6am so I had to walk 2 miles carrying my bags
at 430am. That's always fun--carrying 30# of bags in 80f down dark streets
on a Caribbean island well before dawn

I returned home and was faced with this very question: be honest or ignore
the tribulations? I discussed it with my wife, a few other writers, and my
editor, and they all were of the same opinion as the folks in this thread,
so I sent in an honest account but tried to make the whole experience into a
comedy of errors rather than the blatant incompetence it actually was. I
filed the article and it was never published nor was I paid. Since it was a
press trip, my expenses were covered, and professionally there were no hard
feelings. In fact, the same editor has sent me back out several times since
then, including another Caribbean music festival.

So to answer jcoulter's original post, given her situation I would be
_diplomatically_ honest if asked faced to face an on-the-spot question, with
heavy stress on diplomacy. I want to be a gracious guest, after all--they
flew me down, put me up, fed me lobster and shoved rum punches down my
throat so I don't want to seem ungrateful. I also agree that the host
company would want to know immediately of any problems encountered. Perhaps
it comes down to your willingness to pay the price for being honest.
Speaking for myself, while I would never lie, the truth wears many faces.

Here's that article I mentioned, by Christopher Elliott:

http://elliott.org/vault/critic/1998/writers.htm

Old July 7th, 2004, 07:57 PM
Brian K

On 07/06/2004 10:00 PM kuki after palpating a Gingko, electronically
interjected:

[...]

When I was asked the question as to my favorite cruise ship, I was on
my first cruise on any ship. So, in my opinion no integrity was
sacrificed when I made the comment that it was too soon for me to say.
One can be diplomatic without telling untruths. This is where the typed
word even with emoticons looses some of its context. When I said
"Whichever one gets me invited back." It was said in jest and the joke
was well taken.

If I am the guest of my sister or not, I have no problem letting the
right people know if my travel experience is less then spectacular.
When it is spectacular I write to the appropriate people to let them
know how much I enjoyed myself.

--
________

Old July 7th, 2004, 10:02 PM
Rosalie B.

"Skip Elliott Bowman" wrote:

"kuki" wrote in message
You NEVER give up, or compromise, your integrity! The cruise lines value
honest opinions reflecting both the positive and negative aspects of your
cruise experience.

This is a little like the dilemma of the man whose wife says "Does
this dress make me look fat?", when it does, or when she is.

They can normally quite easily differentiate between honest opinions and
reflections, and simple whining.

I don't agree that it is quite that easy. There are confounding
factors here. Some people whinge persuasively (often by skewing the
actual facts), loudly and often, and it may take awhile before someone
can penetrate to the other side of the argument and see that an axe is
being ground. And by that time the damage may be done.

Plus the person in authority who is hearing the complaint may be in
denial. (like Mr. Stewart, the Sandals owner, mentioned below)

Other factors include the fact that it may be a one time incident
which will never be repeated, or a problem which is outside the
control of the place involved.

For instance, I doubt that the hotel owner would pick to have his
guests burgled or left stranded. There are things that can be done to
improve the situation such as firing the driver, but the solutions are
not always easy fixes or always effective. Especially in the case of
burglaries, if the local police do not care to prosecute a case
against a poor local who has only stolen from a rich foreigner.

[...]

While you had a very awful experience, who do you blame for it. The
festival was not managed well, but was it their fault that your room
was burgled? Why did you stick with this driver?

filed the article and it was never published nor was I paid. Since it was a
press trip, my expenses were covered, and professionally there were no hard
feelings. In fact, the same editor has sent me back out several times since
then, including another Caribbean music festival.

So to answer jcoulter's original post, given her situation I would be
_diplomatically_ honest if asked faced to face an on-the-spot question, with
heavy stress on diplomacy. I want to be a gracious guest, after all--they

I'm reminded of the candidate's remark when he sees a particularly
ugly baby. "That's a baby".

flew me down, put me up, fed me lobster and shoved rum punches down my
throat so I don't want to seem ungrateful. I also agree that the host
company would want to know immediately of any problems encountered. Perhaps
it comes down to your willingness to pay the price for being honest.
Speaking for myself, while I would never lie, the truth wears many faces.

Here's that article I mentioned, by Christopher Elliott:

http://elliott.org/vault/critic/1998/writers.htm

grandma Rosalie