Alaska Cruise Question

Old July 8th, 2004, 02:29 PM
Mike Steen

Default Alaska Cruise Question

We are booked our Alaska cruise on the Serenade, for May 2005. I am sailing
Vancouver to Vancouver.

We are arriving Seattle the day before. My question is: I was thinking of
taking the Amtrak from Seattle to Vancouver, the morning we sail. Can someone
tell me how long the trip is? Also, once we arrive at the train station, is it
fairly easy to catch a cab to the ship terminal? I like to start boarding the
ship as early as possible, to beat the big rush of folks.

Mike Steen
Texas
Old July 8th, 2004, 04:27 PM
Jack Hamilton

ospam (Mike Steen) wrote:

We are booked our Alaska cruise on the Serenade, for May 2005. I am sailing
Vancouver to Vancouver.

We are arriving Seattle the day before. My question is: I was thinking of
taking the Amtrak from Seattle to Vancouver, the morning we sail. Can someone
tell me how long the trip is?

There's only one train, scheduled to depart from Seattle at 7:45am and
arrive in Vancouver at 11:40am. You can check the current day's
performance at
www.amtrak.com; yesterday's train arrived 10 minutes
late. My guess is that the primary determinant of how long the trip
will take is the wait at Canadian immigration, and that probably varies
randomly.

Also, once we arrive at the train station, is it
fairly easy to catch a cab to the ship terminal?

When I was there in May, there were cabs at the Vancouver station, which
is across the street from a light rail station. Warning: the Vancouver
light rail system is not easily navigable with luggage.

I like to start boarding the
ship as early as possible, to beat the big rush of folks.

I would go up a day early if I were you.

==
Jack Hamilton

==
In the end, more than they wanted freedom, they wanted comfort and security.
And in the end, they lost it all - freedom, comfort and security.
Edward Gibbons
Old July 8th, 2004, 05:52 PM
Meredith Dixon

On 08 Jul 2004 13:29:47 GMT, ospam (Mike Steen) wrote:

We are arriving Seattle the day before. My question is: I was thinking of
taking the Amtrak from Seattle to Vancouver, the morning we sail. Can someone
tell me how long the trip is?

According to its schedule, the Seattle-Vancouver train leaves at 7:45 a.m. and
arrives at 11:40 a.m. Amtrak is of course notorious for running late.
--
Meredith Dixon
Check out *Raven Days*:

Old July 8th, 2004, 09:24 PM
JLeary256

As noted there is only the one train. http://amtrak.com/ But that arrives
a little too early for boarding and there will be lines of course for the wait.
Cabs line up right outside the station, less than $10ca+++. Most cabs
take credit cards- for best exchange. Also add about $25++ for a cab from
Seatac to the station.
Old July 9th, 2004, 02:12 AM
JW

You can also drive there. Rent a car at SeaTac and drive to Vancouver. It
isn't that far. About 2 1/2 to 3 hours depending on border delays.

Old July 9th, 2004, 12:56 PM
JLeary256

You can also drive there. Rent a car at SeaTac and drive to Vancouver. It
isn't that far. About 2 1/2 to 3 hours depending on border delays.

You need to allow about 4 hours now.