Smoking in Singapore

Old October 29th, 2004, 02:49 AM
Eric Edwards

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 14:59:46 GMT, michael wrote:
me too actually... i'd be able to take my usual long walks in bangkok
without getting my usual upper respiratory tract infection... but
drivers seem to be sacrosanct where smokers are anaethema (or something
like that)... hence my conclusion that anti-smoking screeds like the
above are mere blind prejudice and not at all what they purport to be...

Smokers get into trouble for polluting the air inside and in close
quarters. Driving generally is not permitted in those situations yet you
don't hear drivers whine about having to go outside to start their
internal combustion engines.

Even outside, people do complain about pollution from cars. Indeed, in
much of the world, if your car pollutes too much, you will not be
permitted to drive it.

--
Photos and travelogues from Africa and Southeast Asia: http://www.exile.org