Bangkok to Angkor Wat: tips/suggestions/advice much appreciated!

Old June 18th, 2004, 12:51 AM
Kali

Default Bangkok to Angkor Wat: tips/suggestions/advice much appreciated!

In article ,
posted 18 Jun 2004 00:08:39 +0200, Frog says...

:In article
:
: You need two full days to
:
o these good people know you have a *long association* with
:a *convicted pedophile* ???

Posting in the same newsgroup = long association? My, my, but
wouldn't you be associated with some interesting characters.

o they know you stalk *defenseless widowed mothers* across the internet?

Who are you talking about, Hoof? Defenseless? Hahaha!!! She's
got you fooled.

:I'm wondering what you would be *travelling to Cambodia for* Iceman?

Vacation? Interest in eastern culture? Friends? You're like
Hoof, your thoughts derail and betray you.

Kali
--
Troika Woman
Peter Hood #4
Old November 7th, 2004, 04:46 PM
caskit

We know this is short notice, but we are hoping to go to Thailand in
December '04 and would like to spend a few days in Bangkok where I have an
elderly 'relative' then visit Angkor Wat and then some beach. Any help
and advice appreciated, but in particular what is the latest on getting to
Angkor Wat, the current situation 'safety-wise' can we book before we go -
where to go that is reputable here or there etc!

Big Thanks Carol & Kit

Old November 8th, 2004, 02:33 AM
NYCutler

If you are short on time I recommend flying to Siem Reep. You can purchase a
ticket online or buy one on Khoa San Road (the main backpacker hang out).
Flights are kind of pricey from what I remember...about 200 US dollars round
trip. You can save money by doing it by bus...from what I heard, the roads are
in bad shape...and the ride is long.

I recommend staying at Mummy's Guesthouse, just outside of Angkor..it cost
about 6 US dollars a night. Ask a motorcycle driver at the airport to get you
there....All motor cyclists in Angkor also serve as guides...so he will
undoubtedly offer. I payed about $6 for a driver for the day...Motorcycle is a
great way to see Angkor...since it is spread out over a LARGE area..Do not
attempt to walk around the entire site...you'll need transport or you'll spend
most of your day walking from place to place

Ankor is amazing...yet expensive ($20 US / day). Highlight is definitely Ta
Phrom temple...where they filmed Tomb Raider.

As far as Bangkok...make sure you see the obvious...grand palace, Wat Pho, Wat
Arun...

I recommend making a day trip to Phetchaburi...its a beautiful town with lots
of mountain top wats & TONS of monkeys...a cool experience.

Local beaches close to Bangkok are Ko Samet & Ko Chang....Ko Samet is
great...local feel, cheap & scenic....Ko Chang is nice...but has lots more
bugs.

Enjoy,
Josh

Old November 8th, 2004, 04:43 AM
Greg Pankhurst

caskit wrote:

We know this is short notice, but we are hoping to go to Thailand in
December '04 and would like to spend a few days in Bangkok where I have an
elderly 'relative' then visit Angkor Wat and then some beach. Any help
and advice appreciated, but in particular what is the latest on getting to
Angkor Wat, the current situation 'safety-wise' can we book before we go -
where to go that is reputable here or there etc!

First up, it's safe. Was there in Jone this year. People were friendly,
food is good and the temple complex is well managed. And the whole area
is awesome.....the temples have to be seen to be believed.

Easiest way to get there is to fly direct from BKK. It's relatively
expensive, but it's the best way if you're under pressure for time. You
can bus it from BKK (slow and rough but cheap) or fly to Phnom Penh and
get the boat up (Phnom Penh is a great city...worth a couple of days if
you can spare the time). You could also fly between Phnom Penh and Siam
Reap.

My wife and I stayed at Home Sweet Home guesthouse
(http://www.catgen.com/sweethome/EN/) and we were very happy with it.
Booked online and they picked us up from the airport. Clean, cool A/C,
quiet and helpful. Nice restaurants nearby. Was $15US a nite for the 2
of us. There's loads of gueshouses up there though....ask 15 people and
you'll get 15 different opinions.

We hired a car to take us around the temples ($20US a day with a driver
who doubles as a guide). Many choose the mototaxi (which again, is
cheaper), but we enjoyed the A/C in the car.

And the temples are great. Angkor Wat is awesome, but there's loads of
other brilliant sites: Ta Prohm, Preah Kahn, the Angkor Thom complex,
Bantey Srei. Go for 3 days and see as much as you can.

Greg

Old November 8th, 2004, 08:55 AM
Ulysse

You did not say about your budget. If you're on a tight budget then
you can go by land. Or if you can afford air tickets then fly !

By land : Minibus from Bangkok to Aranya Prathet. (border)
Aran / PoiPet (Camb. border) to Siem Riem by land.
I did this in a pick-up. Should cost around 400 - 500 THB.

Beach ? In Cambodia or Thailand ?
Sihanoukville in Cambodia.
Phuket in Thailand.