Historian wants country called 'Siam'

Old May 24th, 2007, 08:43 PM posted to soc.culture.thai,rec.travel.asia
Deckard

Default Historian wants country called 'Siam'

On Thu, 24 May 2007 14:24:34 +0200, Nisciuno
wrote:

Mohammed the Holy Nabi ha scritto:
Gordon ,you can interprete in any way you like,

but the Khmer educated scholar in Phnom Penh told me that See-
eme = Siam, means thieve .

So Siam , or Sayam had the bad correlation with the idea of a
thieve in the Khmer language .

It is bad for Thailand to be called Siam again ,
because of this past bad impression .

Siam is the same as See-eme , which is the same as Sayam .

the Royal Thai bank , the Siam Commercial Bank does not put its
original name the Commercial Bank of Siam in Phnom Penh,
instead the Siam Commercial Bnak is called the Asia
Commercial Bank in Phnom Penh .

Siem Reap = the destruction of the Siamese thieve people outside
Angkor Watt .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siem_Reap

Name

The name Siem Reap means "Siam Defeated". Thailand is looked up as an
aggressor to Cambodia to this day, evidenced by a Thai singer's claim to
Angkor Wat, for which Cambodians burned down the Thai embassy.

More info from the french page:

http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siem_Reap

La ville se situe à l'emplacement d'une bataille qui vit s'opposer les
armées thaïes et celles de l'empire khmèr et qui vit la victoire de ces
dernières. Siem Reap signifie d'ailleurs « défaite siamoise ». C'est aussi
le nom d'une rivière tributaire du Tonlé Sap.

"The city is located at the site of a battle which saw the thai armies
opposed to those of the khmer empire and which saw the victory of the
latter. Siem Reap then means "defeated Siamese". It is also the name of a
tributary river of Tonlé Sap."

I can find no reference to any thieve.

You are right about the meaning of Siem Reap.
Actually you can see in Angkor Wat the first-known representation of
Siamese warriors, who were mercenaries of the Khmer Empire, no
relation with thieves.
BTW, I still cannot understand the reason why the first European
visitors (the Portuguese) wrote the name of the country in Latin as
'Siam' if the locals called it 'Saiam'.

Regards,
Mort
Old May 25th, 2007, 02:58 AM posted to soc.culture.thai,rec.travel.asia,alt.cities.paris,france.ile-de-france.paris
Sue Chaisone[_2_]

Default BIG mistake !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Dickhead" runs so hard that the ship drops of his
stumbled in message ... (where the **** is
free france)...

From: Mort (Deckard)
Newsgroups: soc.culture.thai
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2003 21:05:16
Subject: My (ex) Thai girlfriend

I don't want to give here too many details but FYI the trouble I got with my
three girl-friends is:
- infidelity with the first one,
- repetitive lies ("white lies") with the 2d,
- disagreement about "sin sod" with my present friend.

The last one was not a problem of money, as you may think, but the
comparative importance of our (future) children and her parents.

My point is simply that you can find a Thai lady who is not only after your
money but still have trouble, often worsened by the culture difference.

Regards,
Mort
_

Newsgroups: soc.culture.thai
From:
(Deckard)
Date: 2000/11/29
Subject: Chuan Leekpai please tell us....

I ask this question because as a Farang, I understand nothing about cultural
differences between people from different Asian countries.
My g/f is a Thai-Chinese from Bangkok and a divorcee from a Singaporian man.
She rarely speaks about her ex-husband.
But once she told me she was surprised at the differences between Latin men
and Singaporian men in ordinary life ( she knew your state pretty well ).

Despite my questions, she never explained this quote.
_

Support mentally defective and severely stoned Yaba addicted pedofiles who
publish their drug stories in "alt.hard.drugs":

&

Thank Old Trolls and Support a Pervert. You are not forgotten!!!

Regards,
Mort