Staying in Amsterdam in May, Park Hotel, Crown Plaza Hotel?

Old November 17th, 2003, 06:27 PM
Matt

Default Staying in Amsterdam in May, Park Hotel, Crown Plaza Hotel?

Six of us are going to Amsterdam for six days in May of 2004 and we
are looking for a pretty nice hotel sort of in the middle of
everything, and we have narrowed it down to The Park Hotel and the
Crown Plaza - American hotel. Both of them are about the same price
range (the Crown Plaza being just a little more of course) but would
like to talk to someone who has stayed at The Park, since it looks
pretty nice. Or if you have a better suggestion in the price range
of about $150 a night please speak up. Thanks for your help in the
matter..

Matt
Old November 21st, 2003, 05:37 AM

Hi,

the HI Crown Plaza on N.Z. Voorburgwaal (or Spui... I forget) is a very
nice hotel right in the middle of things.

the Marriot Leidsplein(sp) is probably a better buy for a similar hotel
in a better neighborhood..

--

Derringer Kit Sideplates

Old November 21st, 2003, 01:42 PM
Matt

Yeah I think we are going to rule out the Park hotel, after reading
some reviews on the TravelAdvisor website, just seems like everyone is
enjoying The American a little more than The Park. So on a related
note, what is within about two hours driving time from Amsterdam? We
want to go to a couple of different places but don't want to spend
five hours driving or taking a train to the middle of Germany. I
think about two hours travel time would be enough, any advise?

Thanks for your help so far!

Matt

Old November 21st, 2003, 03:03 PM
jcoulter

(Matt) wrote in
om:

Matt wrote:
Six of us are going to Amsterdam for six days in May of 2004 and we
are looking for a pretty nice hotel sort of in the middle of
everything, and we have narrowed it down to The Park Hotel and the
Crown Plaza - American hotel. Both of them are about the same
price range (the Crown Plaza being just a little more of course)
but would like to talk to someone who has stayed at The Park, since
it looks pretty nice. Or if you have a better suggestion in the
price range of about $150 a night please speak up. Thanks for
your help in the matter..

Matt

Just about everything in the Netherlands!

Seriously, the intensely charming ports of Volendam and Hoorn to the
north and west. Edam famous for cheese. Even the incredibly hilly (for
Netherlands) area of Arnhem is within this range. to the south one can
see, must see, Delft, Scheveningen (if you can pronounce it you have to
be Dutch!) and of course the Hague among others.
Old November 23rd, 2003, 10:04 AM

Hi,

do you really HAVE to have a car for something?

rent a bike at the train station (out the front door, take a hard left,
downstairs under the big blue bicycle sign) instead... get a
strippenkart (multi trip ticket) at the VVV (see below).

I'd recommend you take the tram to centraal station, visit the excellent
tourist office inside near spoor 2 (track 2.. there will be signs for
the VVV).

as for a day trip it will depend on the weather... some things are best
booked at the last minute... Delft makes a good day trip, as does
Haarlem... rent a bike in each town...they're cheap and great ways to
get around.

depending on when and what you want to see you may want to look into the
full and half day bus excursions... you WILL see pamphlets at your
hotel... even if you think "I don't want a bus tour" give it a
thought... even I took one last trip to Paris (a city I've been visiting
for 40 years)... new wife and myself got a pair of the jump on/off
passes for one of the tourist companies that does a route of all the
popular spots... and she got to "see" (for a few minutes) a LOT of
stuff... this was somehow important to her...

still hasn't grasped that life with me involves travel.... :-}

we'll be back.

ttyl

akia

Old November 25th, 2003, 08:20 PM
Matt

Well from the overwhelming response on not getting a car I must agree
with all those points you bring up. I have been looking around at
that site for the train travels and that looks like that's the way to
go. It's hard to find a bad review of the Crowne Plaza (The
American) Hotel and for six night it's going to be about $1,300 total
per person with hotel, tax and flight, which doesn't seem too bad. I
was also thinking of staying at the Apollo, but I think the Crowne is
a little closer to the action we are looking for.

Thanks again everyone for your help.

No need for a car. In fact, the car will just slow you down and be a
headache. Gas prices will astound you as will the parking restrictions
and more. The Netherlands has an amazing, clean, fast rail system that
will get you anywhere you want to go. You can battle traffic jams,
strange road signs and parking nightmares or you can sit speed through
the countryside enjoying the view from a fast moving train.

You can get from Amsterdam to Koln (Cologne) or Brussels in just over
two hours and many, many other places. The car will just slow you
down.

Play around with this for ideas for train journeys.
http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/e