IATA bids farewell to paper tickets

Old August 29th, 2007, 08:32 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.asia
mrtravel[_3_]

Default IATA bids farewell to paper tickets

Henry wrote:

GENEVA (Reuters) - The global airlines body IATA said on Monday it
had placed its last order for paper tickets...

...said Giovanni Bisignani, director general of the International
Air Transport Association.

The changeover ... would save 50,000
mature trees a year, he added.

I'll just note in passing that this 'save the trees' argument is
completely specious. With a well-managed forest products industry, two
trees are planted for every one harvested (or some such ratio

Didn't someone tell Butterfly about this?
Old August 29th, 2007, 08:33 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.asia
mrtravel[_3_]

Graham Harrison wrote:

at home they are still providing means to obtain them at the airport.

The credit card issue is more interesting. Given the move to self service
at the airport I fear that some form of plastic will be required to check in
at self service devices but that could be a credit/debit/ATB/frequent flyer
card or machine readable document such as a passport. Some airlines do
provide a keyboard to allow you to type date into their check in devices.
And, as for buying the ticket, travel agencies are not quite dead yet.

AA now lets you book online and pay via Western Union.

I don't know if this applies over the phone.
Old August 29th, 2007, 08:36 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.asia
mrtravel[_3_]

Craig Welch wrote:

auzerais wrote:

But for
the last several years, I just go to the airport, swipe my credit card
in the kiosk machine and it prints out my boarding pass. Never had to
show anything like an e-ticket I had printed out to anyone.

Exactly.

So much for 'positive identification', eh?

You don't even need a magnetic card for some airline kiosks in the US.
You often can get by with entering a frequent flyer number or
confirmation number. Some airlines don't even need that much, as long as
you can identify your flight info and your name.

There is, of course, an ID vs BP pass check (in the US) before you go
through security, but there is no computer check to see whether the BP
or the ID is legitimate.
Old August 29th, 2007, 08:39 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.asia
mrtravel[_3_]

John L wrote:

My question was, if you have neither of these luxuries, can you still
fly as of next year?

Sure. You just can't do it through your home computer.

To buy your ticket, you'll have to visit somewhere that sells tickets
for cash, such as an airline ticket office or travel agent. To check
in, you can probably use an airline kiosk and key in the reservation
number, or failing that, check in at the counter along with everyone
else.

Yes, in some cases you can. AA.com let's you buy tickets and pay through
Western Union for a $14.95 fee.
Old August 29th, 2007, 09:28 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.asia
Gregory Morrow[_1_]

Default IATA bids farewell to "mrtravel"...

mrtravel blabbled:

Henry wrote:
GENEVA (Reuters) - The global airlines body IATA said on Monday it
had placed its last order for paper tickets...

...said Giovanni Bisignani, director general of the International
Air Transport Association.

The changeover ... would save 50,000
mature trees a year, he added.

I'll just note in passing that this 'save the trees' argument is
completely specious. With a well-managed forest products industry, two
trees are planted for every one harvested (or some such ratio

Didn't someone tell Butterfly about this?

Bugger off, puke...

--
Best
Greg

Old August 29th, 2007, 11:32 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.asia
grusl

"William Black" wrote in message

"Doesn't Frequently Mop" wrote
in message ...
Make credence recognised that on Tue, 28 Aug 2007 18:30:54 GMT,
"William Black" has scripted:
These days, with difficulty, if you want to cross an international
border
anyway. If you want something that'll fool an employer into thinking
you're
a real immigrant with real papers all you need is something that looks
right, or just a visa stamp that's a fake in a passport that's real, as
Jean Charles de Menezes had.

Bad example that one. It would've save his life if it was picked up
on!

A really good example.

If he'd had legal papers and wasn't an illegal 'overstayer' he might have
shown up on the records and not got shot dead.

I was not under the impression that the police stopped him, checked his
documents and then shot him. I know he was under surveillance but would his
immigration status have really mattered under the circumstances?

Cheers,
George W Russell
Bangalore

Old August 29th, 2007, 02:25 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.asia
William Black

"grusl" wrote in message

[...]

Yes.

Because when they checked him out at the address he was staying at he wasn't
there, and didn't seem to exist.

He was 'an invisible man' and as such was assumed to be up to no good.

The 'no good' he was up to was being an illegal overstayer, but the cops
assumed he was a terrorist because there was no way to tell the difference
quickly without getting hold of him and asking him, and doing that to
someone with a body-belt stuffed with 40 Kg of unstable home-made explosives
who intends blowing themselves up stretches the 'duty of care' requirements
for the police service somewhat.

--
William Black

Time for tea.

Old August 29th, 2007, 03:38 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.asia
Martin Sylvester

"Tom Peel" wrote in message
Martin Sylvester schrieb:

[...]
[Having a printer]
Might be wise, but not necessarily essential. I've travelled a few times
with a passport containing a post-it note bearing an e-ticket booking
reference copied from the PC screen.

[...]

So do I. In fact, I just checkin at the Etix machine with my CC and never
bother printing out the booking confirmation. However, I do have a PC and
internet connection to make the booking, and I do have a credit card which
lets me pay for the Etix and identify myself at the machine.

My question was, if you have neither of these luxuries, can you still fly
as of next year?

Yes. If I'd gone to the Co-op and paid cash, and the travel agent had copied
the number onto a post-it for me, the effect would've been the same.

I expect that in practice, a TA will print out for their customer something
bearing the booking reference, and a traveller unused to e-tickets will
think of that printed output as their ticket.

Martin.

--
Can you spare three minutes for Daria? - http://tinyurl.com/48ltd
The campaign to get every episode of Daria released on DVD.

Old August 30th, 2007, 04:26 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.asia
Chris Blunt

On Tue, 28 Aug 2007 12:22:13 GMT, "William Black"
wrote:

"Craig Welch" wrote in message
Magda wrote:

You'll need a printer, too.

Not necessarily. I travel reasonably often without a printed copy of
anything that's ticket related.

Don't try it in India.

You can't get into the airport building without something printed...

Same thing in Manila. I turned up a couple of weeks ago, having
forgotten to print out my e-ticket in advance and no way was the
security guard going to let me into the departures area without seeing
a flight itinerary.

Fortunately I had the email containing the e-ticket on the laptop I
was carrying, and after scrambling around looking for a power outlet,
was finally able to start up the machine and show him the email. That
was fine with the guard and he let me through.

The stupid part about it was that the email actually proved nothing at
all. The email was in plain text, and I could have very easily changed
the date or flight number on the e-ticket and printed it out to get
access to the airport building when I wasn't even booked on a flight
at all if I had wanted to.

Chris