why do people consider san fran northern california?

Old February 15th, 2005, 09:47 PM

well....here in massachusetts we would never call worcester "western
massachusetts", although proportionately, it is similar to your numbers
for san fran being north....

I didnt want to start a whole big thing, I was just curious if it was
people who didnt know how far north cali actualy went after san
fran....

it has always bugged me that people call it northern, thats all....

Chuck

Old February 15th, 2005, 10:07 PM
PeterL

wrote in message
ups.com...
well....here in massachusetts we would never call worcester "western
massachusetts", although proportionately, it is similar to your numbers
for san fran being north....

I didnt want to start a whole big thing, I was just curious if it was
people who didnt know how far north cali actualy went after san
fran....

It bugs the hell out of me when people call California cali. Cali is a city
in Columbia.

it has always bugged me that people call it northern, thats all....

Like I said, read the Guadalupe Hildago treaty.

Chuck

Old February 15th, 2005, 10:19 PM

its funny what bugs people....

i have a friend who moved out to san jose and says he only hears the
word "cali" used to describe his new state....but he has also started
speaking genericly about how he lives in northern cali.....

just got a version of the treaty you mention but is almost unreadable
as it is scans of the original document....looking for a text version
now....

Chuck

Old February 15th, 2005, 10:49 PM
Tim923

It is quite clearly central.....
wouldnt that be a little bit like referring to hampton VA as being in
the northeastern US?

It's hard for someone living in central Florida to call Maryland and
Virginia "southern states."

If a full winter coat has to be worn 15-30 times during the winter
months during the warmest part of the day, that's a candidate for the
north!
Old February 15th, 2005, 10:53 PM

I dont think anyone with a sense of geography refers to either maryland
or virginia as being southern states........they are clearly
Mid-atlantic.....

but then again, brains are not something floridians are known for.....a
state that cant figure out how to use a punch ballot can hardly be
counted on to provide geographical descriptors.....

Chuck

Old February 15th, 2005, 10:55 PM

"Do you think it could be as simple as the fact that it is about 280
miles
due north to Oregon and 480 miles due southeast to Mexico?

That would...um.....yup, put in well into the top half of the state."

or, and this comes only because I work for a bunch of statisticians, it
puts san fran in the middle 3rd?

Old February 15th, 2005, 11:14 PM
Patty Winter

In article ,
Hatunen wrote:

I lived in the Bay Area from 1985 to 2001 and never heard a
resident there call it "cali".

I've been here more than 50 years and have never heard it called
that, either.

Patty

Old February 15th, 2005, 11:28 PM
jcoulter

" wrote in
ups.com:

I dont think anyone with a sense of geography refers to either maryland
or virginia as being southern states........they are clearly
Mid-atlantic.....

OH yeah tell that to someone in the Shenandoah Valley for a laugh. I hope
you can run fast.