L.A. -- Orange Cty toll road questions?

Old February 23rd, 2005, 07:01 PM

Default L.A. -- Orange Cty toll road questions?

Hey, all:

I have to make a quick trip to the Murrietta area in the next few days,
on I-15, south of Lake Elsinore.

Then, I have to jog back to Lake Forest -- sort of near Irvine/Laguna
Hills where the 405 and 5 come together.

I need some help. Things have changed since I used to travel down in
that area.

I am pretty good in the Long Beach, Pasadena, LA areas. And I can find
my way from Burbank Airport to Murrietta, but I was doing one of the
internet map services to find how to get to Lake Forest from Murrietta.

They give some directions that basically say take I-15 to 91 and then
get on something called the SR 241-- The Eastern Transportation
Corridor, which is apparently a toll Road?

I only stay on it for a short distance and then get off it and then get
on some other toll road -- SR 133 -- I stay on SR 41 for 11 miles and
then SR 133 for 3 miles.

I've never driven these things and am a bit leary. I was wondering
about taking Hwy 74, the Ortega highway, which I seem to remember doing
decades ago. This will be a Saturday evening, probably about 7 p.m. or
so....any recommendations, blessings, prayers? LOL

Old February 23rd, 2005, 08:51 PM
PeterL

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

No a problem, unless you want to take the long way around. Just carry
plenty of quarters.

Old February 24th, 2005, 03:32 AM
Doug McClure

I would not drive the Ortega Highway at night!

The main problem with the toll roads is that you often need exact
change, but I think if you are driving the entire length of the toll
road, there will be toll booth where you won't need exact change.

DKM

On 23 Feb 2005 11:01:22 -0800, wrote:

Hey, all:

I have to make a quick trip to the Murrietta area in the next few days,
on I-15, south of Lake Elsinore.

snip

I've never driven these things and am a bit leary. I was wondering
about taking Hwy 74, the Ortega highway, which I seem to remember doing
decades ago. This will be a Saturday evening, probably about 7 p.m. or
so....any recommendations, blessings, prayers? LOL

To contact me directly, send EMAIL to (single letters all)
DEE_KAY_EMM AT EarthLink.net. [For example
.]
Old February 24th, 2005, 04:11 AM

Hola, everyone

Thanks for the answers. If I remember right, the Ortega is also known
as the serial killer dumping ground. HA HA.

Not funny really, but in the old days, it was the highway to take. And
considering it has been a long time since I lived down there....

Anyway, guess I will have to try out the toll system....a new
experience for me. I remember when the term "freeway" really meant
something.....of course, I moved out of the L.A. area pretty early on,
but if anyone goes way back, I remember the traffic reporter who the
"sigalerts" are named after.

So, thanks, again. I guess this old dog will have to learn new
tricks....I really don't remember the Ortega being that bad, but I'm
talking 35 years ago or more....

Old February 24th, 2005, 04:51 PM

Actually, the name relates to "free" as in no toll. That was the big
"selling point" when they started building them....

http://muse.jhu.edu/journals/america...76.2geyer.html

Old February 24th, 2005, 05:23 PM
Mark Brader

I remember when the term "freeway" really meant something

The meaning hasn't changed: A way free of cross traffic.

Actually, the name relates to "free" as in no toll. That was the big
"selling point" when they started building them....

http://muse.jhu.edu/journals/america...76.2geyer.html

However, if you look in the big Oxford English Dictionary, you'll
find actual early uses cited, where the meaning is explained, and
there's nothing about tolls. That beats one writer's idea of what
he thinks the word "clearly" meant.

This is off-topic for the newsgroup, so let's stop now, okay?
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "It was too crazy to be true,
Old February 24th, 2005, 05:31 PM
jcoulter

(Mark Brader) wrote in :

I remember when the term "freeway" really meant something

The meaning hasn't changed: A way free of cross traffic.

Actually, the name relates to "free" as in no toll. That was the big
"selling point" when they started building them....

http://muse.jhu.edu/journals/america...76.2geyer.html

However, if you look in the big Oxford English Dictionary, you'll
find actual early uses cited, where the meaning is explained, and
there's nothing about tolls. That beats one writer's idea of what
he thinks the word "clearly" meant.

This is off-topic for the newsgroup, so let's stop now, okay?

1. it is about traveling the California highway system and what to expect.

2. it is about whether one can anticipate tolls based uponthe nomenclature
of the highway.

3. For many of us in the 50's Freeway certainly meant as opposed to the
tollways that one encountered in NewYork New jersey and elsewhere in the
east. The west was a whole new place where the fast limited access ways
were not only superhighways, but FREE!
Old February 25th, 2005, 10:12 AM
Icono Clast

jcoulter wrote:
For many of us in the 50's Freeway certainly meant as opposed to
the tollways that one encountered in NewYork New jersey and
elsewhere in the east. The west was a whole new place where the
fast limited access ways were not only superhighways, but FREE!

That's an Eastern point of view, not ours. Toll roads, obviously not
gratis, are freeways, i.e., ways free of cross traffic. The primary
difference 'tween our freeways and theirs is the tolls.

We had some toll roads in Century XIX (Tejon Pass is probably the
best known) but I think none 'til the late Twentieth when one invaded
the SouthLand.

Of course I had heard of "turnpikes" but didn't really know what they
were until I hit the Will Rogers on m'way to New York in the early
'60s. I didn't get it (still don't). Those states with toll roads
have gasoline taxes similar to ours. Until recently, those taxes paid
for our roads' construction and maintenance. Of late, however, the
roads aren't as well maintained as they were. I don't know where the
money goes. No, it's not Arnold's fault; the problem precedes his
Administration.
Southern California's Four Seasons:
Earthquake, Mudslide, Brushfire, and Riot
http://geocities.com/dancefest/ http://geocities.com/iconoc/
ICQ: http://wwp.mirabilis.com/19098103 IClast at SFbay Net
Old February 25th, 2005, 11:41 PM
Don Kirkman

It seems to me I heard somewhere that wrote in
article .com:

Actually, the name relates to "free" as in no toll. That was the big
"selling point" when they started building them....

http://muse.jhu.edu/journals/america...76.2geyer.html

Actually, according to Webster as early as 1973, you're both right: "1:
an expressway with fully controlled access 2: a toll-free highway."
Growing up in California I only ever heard the second usage.

OTOH, the California Streets and Highways Code says

"23.5. "Freeway" means a highway in respect to which the owners of
abutting lands have no right or easement of access to or from their
abutting lands or in respect to which such owners have only limited or
restricted right or easement of access. If, in the judgment of the
commission or the director, the public interest would be advanced
thereby, a freeway, as defined herein may be denominated a "controlled
access highway". In all other respects said "controlled access highway"
shall be subject to all provisions of this code pertaining to freeways."
http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/oppd/pdpm/c...24/chapt24.htm
--
Don