U.S. tourism may be casualty of war on terror

Old February 22nd, 2005, 03:21 PM
Deep Foiled Malls

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 06:13:54 -0700, miles wrote:

Deep Foiled Malls wrote:

Exactly as the Republicans do.

Uh, no. Hardly the same at all. Liberals vote to tax the crap out of
the wealthy so they can give it away to others in a form of oppression
and call it compassion. They see the wealthy as greedy and a bottomless
pit for all their needs.

Nice snipping there, miles. That's considered a pretty pathetic
strategy getting yourself out of a knot on usenet.

Allow me to re-itterate (and if you care to follow up to this, kindly
DON'T snip the context out of what you said)

You said:
"The liberals give freely with other peoples money for any and all
causes they see fit."

Exactly the same as the Swedes, Chinese, and South Africans with their
governments. And yes, EXACTLY the same as the Republicans. Care to
name one government that does NOT do this?
--
---
DFM - http://www.deepfriedmars.com

Old February 22nd, 2005, 03:24 PM
Deep Foiled Malls

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 06:17:09 -0700, miles wrote:

AJC wrote:

They call people 'liberal' thinking it
is an insult, which really is hilarious.

Liberals hate being called what they are. They want to get rid of the
word and use a meaningless word like progressive instead. Liberals are
afraid of being called what they are. They defined themselves over the
decades and now want to hide from it. That is what is hilarious.

What is really hilarious is that you think the word "Liberal" actually
means something. Now what's the Australian party in power that is
adored by GWB?
--
---
Old February 22nd, 2005, 03:35 PM
Gregory Morrow

AJC wrote:

Ugh, yes, I've been to Atlanta. I didn't enjoy it, but I'm glad I've
seen it. Everyone should be exposed to such horrors at least once!

Yeah it's a ghastly place. I really despise the South, too bad they don't
secede so that the rest of the US can again rise to the level of a First
World country...

Georgia especially is a backwater. There is only one time in my life when I
felt my life was in danger, it was about 30 years ago when I had to pull off
the interstate in rural Jaw - ja to change a flat tyre. People were
actually swerving to *hit* me and yelling "Yankee go home!" (they were
tipped off by my Illinois licence plates). It really *is* like the film
_Deliverance_ down there, except that the hillybillys in the movie have
progressed to the point where they have real power and influence in this
country, e.g. Newt Gingrich...

SHUDDER/

People were cringing when Atlanta got the '96 Olympics. Gawd that was a
whole big white trash fest...

The South sucks up HUGE amounts of money from the rest of the country, it's
mostly for pork barrel defense expenditures. So not only is the South a
backwards place, but it is also sucking the lifeblood out of the more
advanced parts of the country.

--
Best
Greg

Old February 22nd, 2005, 03:54 PM
Gregory Morrow

Deep Foiled Malls wrote:

And the existence of groups like Concerned Women for America sure
doesn't help.

http://www.cwfa.org/main.asp

Note their tireless obsession with try to control how people have sex.

One time I ran into one of these harridans on a flight. She asked what I
did for a living. I smiled sweetly and said, "Oh, I run a gay male escort
service in Chicago..."*. She froze, looked aghast and actually recoiled
from my presence. She tried to move to another seat, but the flight was
packed and she had to endure my presence for the duration. For added
lagniappe I commenced reading my stash of gay magazines...

When we deplaned she FLEW out of that seat like a bat from hell. I bet her
face is *still* stuck in that sour expression from that incident with
me...*LOL* :-)

It's a real hoot to play around with these types, since they are so rigid
and humourless; anyone or anything that doesn't comply with their turgid
little life script REALLY discombobulates them...

Of course their poor husbands are mostly the ones who are paying lots of
money for high - priced call girls, sticking their gonads through glory
holes at gay "bookstores", having affairs with sweet young thangs in the
office, etc. Makes me laugh...

[* Just so y'all know, I do not run a gay male escort service. :-(

And I consider immediately asking a stranger "What do you do for a living?"
to be incredibly rude and an intrusion. It's a particularly bad USAin
habit...I might in future discuss my work life with a person I've just met
if I have decided that I like them and that I want to have some kind of
relationship with them. Otherwise it's none of their STINKIN' business.

I'm friends with all types from judges to transvestite hookers...they are
all kind people with good character, that is the thing that matters to me,
not one's source of income...]

--
Best
Greg

Old February 22nd, 2005, 05:05 PM
PTravel

"Bert Hyman" wrote in message
om...

snip

Nope. But others are calling for much more than a "security check", being
mostly concerned that he wasn't a "real" reporter, and didn't work for a
"real" news service, and that he was producing "propaganda". I could make
the same claims against Molly Ivins or Rush Limbaugh; would you deny them
credentials merely because you don't like their questions?

Now this is really interesting. I've never heard of Molly Ivins. However,
Rush Limbaugh is NOT a journalist. I'll say it again, because it's
critical: Rush Limbaugh is NOT a journalist. Even HE doesn't claim to be a
journalist. He would NOT be entitled to a press credential, nor has he ever
tried to obtain one.

What I find particularly disturbing is that YOU don't understand the
difference between a journalist and Rush Limbaugh. Limbaugh doesn't report
news. Pundits don't report news. Gannon, whatever he is, is not a
journalist and doesn't report news.

If you want news, read newspapers, listen to newsradio, or watch programs
called "News" on most television networks (Fox has a lot of trouble
separating opinion/editorials from news -- this, by the way, isn't simply
my opinion, but is proven fact based on in-house memos that have been made
public. This was reported by most of the news media, though, of course, not
Fox).

You do not get news from Rush Limbauh, Hannity, O'Reilly and the rest of
that crew anymore than I would get news from John Stewart or Bill Mahr.
Opinion is just opinon. Do you understand that?

Old February 22nd, 2005, 05:19 PM
Gregory Morrow

PTravel wrote:

"Bert Hyman" wrote in message
[...]

Molly Ivins OTOH is a credentialed journalist, she has written for many
outlets over the years. These days she devotes herself to opinion pieces...

Of course Limbaugh is an uneducated windbag, he can barely sign or sputter
his own name, let alone carry on a coherent discussion of any issues...

--
Best
Greg

Old February 22nd, 2005, 06:10 PM
Go Fig

In article , PTravel
wrote:

"Bert Hyman" wrote in message
om...

snip

Nope. But others are calling for much more than a "security check", being
mostly concerned that he wasn't a "real" reporter, and didn't work for a
"real" news service, and that he was producing "propaganda". I could make
the same claims against Molly Ivins or Rush Limbaugh; would you deny them
credentials merely because you don't like their questions?

Now this is really interesting. I've never heard of Molly Ivins. However,
Rush Limbaugh is NOT a journalist. I'll say it again, because it's
critical: Rush Limbaugh is NOT a journalist. Even HE doesn't claim to be a
journalist.

He would NOT be entitled to a press credential, nor has he ever
tried to obtain one.

How do you know this ?

What I find particularly disturbing is that YOU don't understand the
difference between a journalist and Rush Limbaugh. Limbaugh doesn't report
news. Pundits don't report news. Gannon, whatever he is, is not a
journalist and doesn't report news.

And neither does Helen Thomas, she is a NOT a reporter.

If you want news, read newspapers, listen to newsradio, or watch programs
called "News" on most television networks (Fox has a lot of trouble
separating opinion/editorials from news -- this, by the way, isn't simply
my opinion, but is proven fact based on in-house memos that have been made
public.

You seem to be the one confused between news and opinion. Fox airs a
nightly News cast at 7pm EST... that is their News Hour... the rest of
their shows are described as:Commentary/debate. In fact, when O'Reilly
makes his 'commentary', that is what the 'crawler' says underneath
him... something the Networks use to do... but haven't for decades.

On the other hand, CNN spent some 10 years in Bagdad concealing the
butcher's atrocities, BY AGREEMENT, so they could maintain a bureau
their.

jay
Tue Feb 22, 2005

Old February 22nd, 2005, 06:41 PM
AJC

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 14:20:49 GMT, "Gregory Morrow"
gregorymorrowEMERGENCYCANCELLATIONARCHIMEDES@eart hlink.net wrote:

AJC wrote:

How much of other people's money have the American republicans given
so far to their cause of creating chaos in Iraq?

Interesting to see that one of the results of that particular cause is
that women in Iraq are now more afraid to go out on the streets as
Bush's actions have led to an increase in the levels of murder and
sexual abuse of women. It seems women are withdrawing from public life
there. No surprise of course, Bush removed a secular police state to
replace it with a chaos in which islamic fundamentalism has
flourished.

Hey maybe we can send your ex - Prime Minister Ruud Lubbers to Iraq to
"investigate" the female situation...

Yes, he's looking for a new job!
--==++AJC++==--
Old February 22nd, 2005, 06:54 PM
PTravel

"Go Fig" wrote in message
In article , PTravel
wrote:

"Bert Hyman" wrote in message
[...]

That he hasn't tried to obtain one? I assume if he had and was refused he'd
have made it public knowledge. That he's not a journalist? Even he has
said so -- he's the first to admit that he's an entertainer, not a reporter.

What I find particularly disturbing is that YOU don't understand the
difference between a journalist and Rush Limbaugh. Limbaugh doesn't

report
news. Pundits don't report news. Gannon, whatever he is, is not a
journalist and doesn't report news.

And neither does Helen Thomas, she is a NOT a reporter.

According to you. Not according to Hearst Newspapers and United Press
International (for whom she was White House Bureau Chief as well as a
correspondent for 57 years). She was the first woman officer of the
National Press Club and the first woman officer of the White House
Correspondents Association.

You're not seriously comparing Helen Thomas to Jeff Gannon, are you?

If you want news, read newspapers, listen to newsradio, or watch

programs
called "News" on most television networks (Fox has a lot of trouble
separating opinion/editorials from news -- this, by the way, isn't

simply
my opinion, but is proven fact based on in-house memos that have been

made
public.

You seem to be the one confused between news and opinion. Fox airs a
nightly News cast at 7pm EST... that is their News Hour...

And, per the corporate memos which have been made public, the news that is
reported, as well as the slant given to it, is dictated by Murdoch. See,
for example,
http://www.russbaker.com/CJR%20-%20Murdoch's%20Mean%20Machine,%20by%20Russ%20Baker .htm
(an article from the Columbia Journalism Review).

Fox can air whatever opinion pieces it wants. It is cynically
irresponsible, however, to present opinion as "news."

the rest of
their shows are described as:Commentary/debate. In fact, when O'Reilly
makes his 'commentary', that is what the 'crawler' says underneath
him... something the Networks use to do... but haven't for decades.

If Fox confined it's opinion programming to that which it labels
"Commentary/Debate" I wouldn't have any objection.

On the other hand, CNN spent some 10 years in Bagdad concealing the
butcher's atrocities, BY AGREEMENT, so they could maintain a bureau
their.

And even CNN admits that this was a mistake. However, CNN's motivation was
to maintain access to news, rather than to subvert public opinion -- quite
different from Fox.

My point remains the same, though. "Bert Hyman" thinks that Limbaugh is a
journalist. You don't think that, do you?

jay
Tue Feb 22, 2005

Old February 22nd, 2005, 07:48 PM
Go Fig

In article , PTravel
wrote:

"Go Fig" wrote in message
In article , PTravel
wrote:

"Bert Hyman" wrote in message
[...]

Perhaps, but you don't really know, but yet stated it as a fact.

What if he got one, wouldn't it be reported like all the successful
airplane landings that occurred today ?

That he's not a journalist? Even he has
said so -- he's the first to admit that he's an entertainer, not a reporter.

What I find particularly disturbing is that YOU don't understand the
difference between a journalist and Rush Limbaugh. Limbaugh doesn't

report
news. Pundits don't report news. Gannon, whatever he is, is not a
journalist and doesn't report news.

And neither does Helen Thomas, she is a NOT a reporter.

According to you. Not according to Hearst Newspapers

If you continue to make clearly false statements, there is no point in
continuing.

She is NOT a reporter, and it clearly indicates that at the end of her
columns:

Helen Thomas is a columnist for Hearst Newspapers. E-mail:
. Copyright 2004 Hearst Newspapers.

LAST TIME: Helen Thomas is NOT a reporter.

and United Press
International (for whom she was White House Bureau Chief as well as a
correspondent for 57 years). She was the first woman officer of the
National Press Club and the first woman officer of the White House
Correspondents Association.

So what! When a Black Panther is born, it has spots.

Her position NOW is that of a pundit, your failure to acknowledge this
is very telling.

You're not seriously comparing Helen Thomas to Jeff Gannon, are you?

It is her own 'statements' in the White House Press Room that make that
comparison.

[...]

And clearly from their Opinion section.

BTW: is russbaker.com a News source ?

Fox can air whatever opinion pieces it wants. It is cynically
irresponsible, however, to present opinion as "news."

Your gonna need something more than your "word" on it... in this thread
alone, you have made false statements repeatedly.

Please be specific about your comments on Fox's "Fox Report with
Shepard Smith"!

the rest of
their shows are described as:Commentary/debate. In fact, when O'Reilly
makes his 'commentary', that is what the 'crawler' says underneath
him... something the Networks use to do... but haven't for decades.

If Fox confined it's opinion programming to that which it labels
"Commentary/Debate" I wouldn't have any objection.

Please state your specific objection !

On the other hand, CNN spent some 10 years in Bagdad concealing the
butcher's atrocities, BY AGREEMENT, so they could maintain a bureau
their.

And even CNN admits that this was a mistake.

"And even" Good Grief !

However, CNN's motivation was
to maintain access to news,

what were they reporting, the weather ?

rather than to subvert public opinion -- quite
different from Fox.

Nice unsubstantiated rhetoric.

My point remains the same, though. "Bert Hyman" thinks that Limbaugh is a
journalist. You don't think that, do you?

He could be loosely described as a journalist, but what he is not, is a
reporter.

jay
Tue Feb 22, 2005