What parts of Asia would you most want to spend your retirement in ?

Old May 3rd, 2005, 12:12 PM
Markku Grönroos

"Tchiowa" kirjoitti viestissä
oups.com...

Clearly Markku hasn't actually used medical service in Thailand. It
doesn't appear that he's been there much.

I have not. You are quite right about that. However, we are not talking
about dental health care in particular. What about you must go through a
large cardio vascular operation for instance.How much would it cost for a
foreign patient ? 1 million or ten million bahts ? Or perhaps more ? And in
case something has been done wrong by hospital (scissors left deep in your
tissue for instance), there will be no policy to cover the indent. You don't
have a Thai policy and your national one hardly does so. However, very rich
people can naturally survive from nasty sitations like this but it won't be
cheaper than back home.

Old May 3rd, 2005, 10:17 PM
none

minor surgery/dentists ok , but brits i hear about go back to the UK
when they need heart surgery .as you get older your heart and lungs may
not be able to cope with the heat and humidity which puts a big strain
on your circulatory system. so you may go to an early death .

Old May 4th, 2005, 05:06 PM

If money and visa restrictions are no objects, I would choose
Singapore.

I have a wife and daughter and I would choose Singapore because it is
safe, boring and predictable.

But, Singapore is also close to lots of exciting, exotic places such as
Indonesia, Thailand, Phillipines and not too far from India.

Travel connections from Singapore are excellent, so you get the best of
both worlds, developed and developing.

If money is an object, then I would chose Penang in Malaysia. It's
excellent value for money and the infrastructure is also very good.
Again you have great travel connections to the more exotic parts of
asia.

I have lived in Medan Indonesia for the last three years and have just
recently returned to the UK so I think I know what I'm talking about.

Jaz

http://www.dharssi.org.uk/travel/

Old May 4th, 2005, 07:23 PM
BKR

"Jan" wrote in message
uc wrote:
Where in Malasia and the Philippines do you suggest?

Anyway it doesn't hurt to think about and plan a just in case!

GL

Wolfie

Langkawi will do for me.

Frequent flights to KL and Penang
Several Ferry routes to mainland.
Easy access to Thailand.

Jan

How much per month do you need for retirement in Langkawi?

Old May 4th, 2005, 11:38 PM
Jan

BKR wrote:
"Jan" wrote in message
uc wrote:
Where in Malasia and the Philippines do you suggest?

Anyway it doesn't hurt to think about and plan a just in case!

GL

Wolfie

Langkawi will do for me.

Frequent flights to KL and Penang
Several Ferry routes to mainland.
Easy access to Thailand.

Jan

How much per month do you need for retirement in Langkawi?

Considerably less than the UK !! It would depend on how simple/extravagant
your lifestyle is. I'd say RM1.5 has the same buying power as £1 at home for
every day items.
eg. Lunch and soft drink at our favourite place is about RM10 for 2 - around
£1.60.
Alcohol is cheap ( compared to the mainland) as its a duty free island.

Jan