Rent a car in Thailand

Old June 8th, 2005, 09:47 AM
ACL

Default Rent a car in Thailand

Hello,
is it ok for an European driver to rent a car in Thailand?
Any suggest?

Many thanks

Old June 8th, 2005, 03:41 PM
Chris Blunt

On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 08:47:15 GMT, "ACL"
wrote:

Hello,
is it ok for an European driver to rent a car in Thailand?
Any suggest?

Its quite OK to do that.

I've used Budget Thailand a few times and they're been fine. They
sometimes run promotions on their web site, so you might want to take
a look here before you travel.

http://www.budget.co.th/

Chris

Old June 8th, 2005, 05:13 PM
Geoff B

"ACL" asked...

Hello,
is it ok for an European driver to rent a car in Thailand?
Any suggest?

Many thanks

It is advisable to obtain an International Driver's Permit (I believe
Thailand prefer you to have one that meets the '1949 Convention' ).
It should be a simple matter of providing your own national licence along
with photos and a small fee.

Here in the UK, several organisations advertise their services to obtain
the
IDP, but the simplest way is to go to a major Post Office (Cost - 5.50
pounds. I have seen other organisations asking five or six times that, so
do a search before handing over any money).

Make sure you have good insurance cover too - even if you are not to blame
in an incident you might come under pressure to pay out. My fiancee (a
Thai) recently had this happen to her when a motorcyclist fell off in
front
of her, and the police said she was to blame for 'frightening' the rider.

_______
Geoff B

It has removed 14 spam emails to date.
Try www.SPAMfighter.com for free now!

Old June 9th, 2005, 12:23 PM
Viviane

Yes it's possible but why would you? For about the same price, you can get
a car with a driver who knows the local road conditions. Then again, if
it's excitement you want - go right ahead and drive there yourself.

s...

Old June 9th, 2005, 12:29 PM
Markku Grönroos

"Viviane" kirjoitti viestissä
u...
Yes it's possible but why would you? For about the same price, you can

get
a car with a driver who knows the local road conditions. Then again, if
it's excitement you want - go right ahead and drive there yourself.

What the heck does man need a Thai driver for? It would be nothing but a
nuisance. I want to drive my hired car myself thank you.

Old June 9th, 2005, 02:55 PM
Alan Street

In article , Markku Grönroos
wrote:

€ "Viviane" kirjoitti viestissä
€ u...
€ Yes it's possible but why would you? For about the same price, you can
€ get
€ a car with a driver who knows the local road conditions. Then again, if
€ it's excitement you want - go right ahead and drive there yourself.

€ What the heck does man need a Thai driver for? It would be nothing but a
€ nuisance. I want to drive my hired car myself thank you.

Driving on the left might be one issue. Also, if you don't read Thai
you might find navigation a bit of a challenge.
Old June 9th, 2005, 03:06 PM
Markku Grönroos

"Alan Street" kirjoitti viestissä

?
? What the heck does man need a Thai driver for? It would be nothing but a
? nuisance. I want to drive my hired car myself thank you.
?
?

Driving on the left might be one issue. Also, if you don't read Thai
you might find navigation a bit of a challenge.

Truly, navigation can be a concern. Especially in Thailand where
availability of decent large scale road maps is about non existent. Perhaps
for very short term rentals (a couple of days) hiring a driver along with a
car is worth considering to keep things time efficient.

Old June 10th, 2005, 05:23 PM
Tchiowa

Markku Gr=F6nroos wrote:
"Alan Street" kirjoitti viestiss=E4
In article , Markku Gr=F6nroos
wrote:

? "Viviane" kirjoitti viestiss=E4
? u...
[...]

You continually make comments about Thailand that make me wonder if
there is a Thailand on another planet that you visit. Maps of widely
assorted scales including good roads maps are available at any book
store and most 7-11 stores and the like. They are all over the place in
Thailand.

Old June 10th, 2005, 06:26 PM
Markku Grönroos

"Tchiowa" kirjoitti viestissä
oups.com...

wrote:

[...]

By all means name these maps. If they were all over Thailand (or anywhere in
the kingdom) I would be aware about them. I know you are not able to do so.

Old June 11th, 2005, 12:31 PM
Tchiowa

Markku Gr=F6nroos wrote:
"Tchiowa" kirjoitti viestiss=E4
oups.com...

wrote:

? "Viviane" kirjoitti viestiss=E4
? u...
? Yes it's possible but why would you? For about the same price, y=

ou
can
? get
? a car with a driver who knows the local road conditions. Then

again,
if
? it's excitement you want - go right ahead and drive there yoursel=

f=2E
?
? What the heck does man need a Thai driver for? It would be nothing =

but
? nuisance. I want to drive my hired car myself thank you.
?
?

Driving on the left might be one issue. Also, if you don't read Thai
you might find navigation a bit of a challenge.

Truly, navigation can be a concern. Especially in Thailand where
availability of decent large scale road maps is about non existent.

You continually make comments about Thailand that make me wonder if
there is a Thailand on another planet that you visit. Maps of widely
assorted scales including good roads maps are available at any book
store and most 7-11 stores and the like. They are all over the place in
Thailand.

By all means name these maps.

What, you want me to give you the brand name? Don't be ridiculous. I
don't memorize brand names of maps.

If they were all over Thailand (or anywhere in the kingdom) I would be aw=

are
about them.=20

Not if you've never been there you wouldn't.