Rent a car in Thailand

Old June 11th, 2005, 05:15 PM

Maps?...5555 .As Tchiowa says they are available everywhere, B2S in
Robinsons, Asia books, Se -Ed books, magazine shops, 7/11. Service
stations.

PN maps publish a wide range www.pnmap.thaipanit.com A good one is
their Thailand Highway map atlas A to Z THA2ZA4 230 Thai baht. Then
there's B&B Maps, Globetrotter maps, maps maps and more maps!!

Old June 11th, 2005, 06:58 PM
Geoff B

advised. . .

PN maps publish a wide range www.pnmap.thaipanit.com A good one is
their Thailand Highway map atlas A to Z THA2ZA4 230 Thai baht. Then
there's B&B Maps, Globetrotter maps, maps maps and more maps!!

Additionally, Michelin do a very fine, if slim, map book (which I have very
carefully stored away as a reference work). This has pretty detailed and
good-scale pages. Town and city names are given in both Thai and Anglicised
versions, and the main cities and larger towns are covered by decent maps at
the back of the book.

My fiancee was so impressed with it that I left my first copy with her and
had to find myself another.

It's in a yellow cover, a bit bigger than A4, not too thick (slim enough to
fold over and shove in the back pocket of your jeans) and has the title
prominantly displayed in Thai and English in large blue lettering on the
front.

Oh - and inside, the map symbols are detailed in Thai, English, French,
German, Chinese, Japanese . . . .

A recommended buy.

_______
Geoff B

Old June 12th, 2005, 05:33 AM

A good one is
their Thailand Highway map atlas A to Z THA2ZA4 230 Thai baht.

Additionally, Michelin do a very fine, if slim, map book (which I have
very
carefully stored away as a reference work). This has pretty detailed
and
good-scale pages. Town and city names are given in both Thai and
Anglicised
versions, and the main cities and larger towns are covered by decent
maps at
the back of the book.
***********************************

I must try and get that one Geoff, It sounds similar to the one I
mentioned above. I drive around LOS quite a bit and have a pile of maps
to use on my travels.

Sandy

Old June 15th, 2005, 04:59 AM
Markku Gronroos

Tchiowa wrote:

Markku Gr=F6nroos wrote:
Truly, navigation can be a concern. Especially in Thailand where
availability of decent large scale road maps is about non existent.

You continually make comments about Thailand that make me wonder if
there is a Thailand on another planet that you visit. Maps of widely
assorted scales including good roads maps are available at any book
store and most 7-11 stores and the like. They are all over the place in
Thailand.

By all means name these maps.

What, you want me to give you the brand name? Don't be ridiculous. I
don't memorize brand names of maps.

That's what I am still asking, yes. Name some members of road atlases
covering Thailand having these two properties:

1=2E they are of large scale
2=2E they are up to date

I know they are not widely awailable. You cannot name one single map
can you. I know you cannot.
If they were all over Thailand (or anywhere in the kingdom) I would be =

aware
about them.

Not if you've never been there you wouldn't.

I am right now on the Chang Island in Trat. Tell me where I can go and
buy a large scale road atlas on Thailand. Name one of those maps.

Old June 15th, 2005, 05:22 AM
Markku Gronroos

I have a copy of it. It is not of large scale though. It is
1:1,000,000. That is NOT a large scale projection for a road map. It
shows ONLY major roads as anyone driving a car by maps can tell. For
instance in Finland we have a series called GT maps which comes in 19
sheets covering the entire country. It is in scale 1:200,000. One
millimeter is 200 meters on road not 1000 meters like printed on the
Michelin Atlas about Thailand. So,the Finnish map is 25 times broader
and this makes it possible to draw maps with manor roads as well.

One good feature the Michelin set has though. It indicates distances in
kilometers from most intersections to the next one.

In Finland we can naturally GPS navigate on maps with the scale
1:20,000 or so.

Old June 15th, 2005, 05:24 AM
Markku Gronroos

They are not of large scale.

Old June 15th, 2005, 06:16 PM
Tchiowa

Markku Gronroos wrote:
Tchiowa wrote:

Markku Gr=F6nroos wrote:
Truly, navigation can be a concern. Especially in Thailand where
availability of decent large scale road maps is about non existent.

You continually make comments about Thailand that make me wonder if
there is a Thailand on another planet that you visit. Maps of widely
assorted scales including good roads maps are available at any book
store and most 7-11 stores and the like. They are all over the place =

in
Thailand.

By all means name these maps.

What, you want me to give you the brand name? Don't be ridiculous. I
don't memorize brand names of maps.

That's what I am still asking, yes. Name some members of road atlases
covering Thailand having these two properties:

1. they are of large scale
2. they are up to date

I know they are not widely awailable. You cannot name one single map
can you. I know you cannot.

Scruden and Jeff just named several. They are available in any
bookstore. Multiple versions, assorted sizes and detail.

If they were all over Thailand (or anywhere in the kingdom) I would b=

e aware
about them.

Not if you've never been there you wouldn't.

I am right now on the Chang Island in Trat. Tell me where I can go and
buy a large scale road atlas on Thailand. Name one of those maps.

Again, read the thread. All kinds of names for you. Michelin, for one.

You keep trying to bluff that you know something about Thailand. Every
single post I've ever seen you make about Thailand demonstrates that
you may have been there once, for about a week, and that's it.

Old June 15th, 2005, 07:55 PM
Rene R.F. Wildeman

Do not understand what the discussion is about. I have driven
thousands of kilometers through Thailand with available maps. Maybe
not very detailed but sufficient to find your way. Never got lost.
Most roads in Thailand are excellent and when you take a dirt track
through the mountains it is slightly different but there are not many
roads in those areas anyhow.

On 14 Jun 2005 20:59:50 -0700, "Markku Gronroos"

Old June 15th, 2005, 09:21 PM
Alan Street

In article .com,
Tchiowa wrote:

€ You keep trying to bluff that you know something about Thailand. Every
€ single post I've ever seen you make about Thailand demonstrates that
€ you may have been there once, for about a week, and that's it.

A traceroute of his IP address does put him in Thailand:

18 if-9-0.core2.laa-losangeles.teleglobe.net (216.6.85.14) 13.9 ms
13.489 ms 16.404 ms
19 if-3-0.bb3.laa-losangeles.teleglobe.net (209.58.85.13) 19.097 ms
13.345 ms 13.134 ms
20 ix-1-0.bb3.laa-losangeles.teleglobe.net (209.58.85.18) 18.137 ms
13.148 ms 17.256 ms
21 202.47.253.222 (202.47.253.222) 217.745 ms 218.993 ms 217.875 ms
22 202.47.253.133 (202.47.253.133) 237.084 ms 283.799 ms 238.663 ms
23 202.47.254.10 (202.47.254.10) 231.219 ms 232.363 ms 233.449 ms
24 ce2.cat.net.th (202.47.247.146) 238.224 ms 238.887 ms 237.788 ms