Most scenic places in Asia

Old July 12th, 2005, 05:53 PM
Alfred Molon

Default Most scenic places in Asia

Here is my list of very special places (feel free to add yours):

Rice terraces (Bali)
Jame'Asr Hassanil Bolkiah mosque (Brunei)
Angkor Wat (Cambodia) and Bagan (Myanmar) if you're into temples
Li river (when the sky is clear) and cormoran fishermen (China)
Reed flute cave (China)
Shanghai New Pudong district (China)
Shanghai YuYuan area (China)
Zhongdian and Xiao Zhongdian (China)
Hong Kong skyline at night
Jaipur (India)
Jodhpur - view from the Meherangarh fort (India)
Perhentian island (Malaysia)
Mt Kinabalu peak at sunrise (Malaysia)
Cameron highlands tea hills (Malaysia)
Petronas towers (Malaysia)
Lake Inle (Myanmar)
Shwedagon padoda (Myanmar)
Pokhara lake and Annapurna range (Nepal)
Hindu temples in Singapore
Arab street area in Singapore
Area around Rai Leh beach (Thailand)
Koh Samui (Thailand)
Damnoen Saduak floating market (Thailand)

And that's it more or less among the places I've seen. No Taj Mahal,
Grand Palace in Bangkok etc., which may be tourist attractions but which
failed to capture my imagination.
--

Alfred Molon

http://www.molon.de/Galleries.htm - Photos from China, Myanmar, Brunei,
Malaysia, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Nepal, Egypt, Germany, Austria,
Prague, Budapest, Singapore and Portugal
Old July 12th, 2005, 07:04 PM
John W.

Alfred Molon wrote:
Here is my list of very special places (feel free to add yours):

snipped

I'd add the Japanese alps (particularly rural areas around Matsumoto
and Nagano), Northern areas of Lake Biwa in Japan, Osaka's Dotonbori at
night (different type of scenery, of course, but nonetheless
spectacular in its own way), the inner highlands north of Himeji
(particularly around Aogaki in the North East and Mt. Seppiko to the
West in autumn), the mountains that border Pusan Korea (for the variety
of views, though it's been 12 years since I went there). Lots of other
places would make the short list, including Himeji city itself, but
that's probably not generally accepted as a place of beauty; I prefer
places that aren't quite as 'on the tourist trail' (though not
exclusively).

John W.

Old July 12th, 2005, 07:07 PM
Dieter Aaaa

Alfred Molon wrote:
Here is my list of very special places (feel free to add yours):

Ever heard about a Great Wall ?

I have 5 others you forgot or clearly don't like.
But i'll give you these only if you promise to remove some stupidities from
your list.

Old July 12th, 2005, 07:21 PM
Alfred Molon

In article , "Dieter
Aaaa" Dieter says...

Ever heard about a Great Wall ?

Not yet been there.

Old July 12th, 2005, 10:05 PM
John W.

Dieter Aaaa wrote:
Alfred Molon wrote:
Here is my list of very special places (feel free to add yours):

Ever heard about a Great Wall ?

I have 5 others you forgot or clearly don't like.
But i'll give you these only if you promise to remove some stupidities from
your list.

Helpful as usual, I see.

John W.

Old July 12th, 2005, 10:31 PM
Stimp

On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 Alfred Molon wrote:
Here is my list of very special places (feel free to add yours):

Rice terraces (Bali)
Jame'Asr Hassanil Bolkiah mosque (Brunei)
Angkor Wat (Cambodia) and Bagan (Myanmar) if you're into temples

^^^^^^^^^^

Ta Prohm was the best wat at Angkor imho

--

"I hear ma train a comin'
.... hear freedom comin"
Old July 13th, 2005, 03:21 AM
Lion

Jiu Zhai Gou (or Jiuzhaigou) in Sichuan, China is extremely scenic. It is
well worth visiting. But to preserve the natural beauty, they have to
limit the number of visitors everyday.

"Alfred Molon" wrote ..

Old July 13th, 2005, 08:11 AM
harry

Halong Bay, VietNam. Tops everything in my list.

Taj Mahal, India. How could it fail to capture anyone's imagination?

Old July 13th, 2005, 02:44 PM
Bram Bos

I'd add Friendship Highway, Tibet, especially the stretch from
Gyantse to Zhangmu.

Taj Mahal, India. How could it fail to capture anyone's imagination?

It didn't capture mine either. It was smaller than it appears on
pictures, the interior wasn't all that spectacular either. Quite
noisy if anything. And overly touristy.

I'd vote for Preah Khan in Angkor over Angkor Wat and Ta Prohm.

cheers,

Bram

Old July 13th, 2005, 05:50 PM
Alfred Molon

In article .com,
harry says...

Taj Mahal, India. How could it fail to capture anyone's imagination?

Somehow nice, but too many tourists and not that special after all. I
might add that I've seen too many of those "perfect" places.

It simply can't compare with places like the pyramids in Giseh or St.
Peter's square in the Vatican.