Avoid Delta and Atlanta

Old August 14th, 2006, 10:05 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.british,soc.culture.usa,alt.politics.bush
The Reid[_1_]

Default Draconian vacation policies for US slave workers

Following up to Dave Frightens Me

London also has low levels of rainfall. That doesn't stop it from
being wet much of the time.

If only, first rain for weeks and weeks yesterday. At least I
will now be able to get a fork into the ground.
--
Mike Reid
I will agree bendybuses are a good idea when they build bungalows on Mayfair
Old August 14th, 2006, 10:05 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.british,soc.culture.usa,alt.politics.bush
The Reid[_1_]

Following up to Jim Ley

although rembering to remove it whilst you walk through a public
carwash to get clean might be another problem.

how dop you attach it to a T shirt?
Old August 14th, 2006, 10:05 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.british,soc.culture.usa,alt.politics.bush
The Reid[_1_]

Following up to Mxsmanic

My watch is accurate to 1 second in three million years. No cellphone
does better than that.

why do you care?
Old August 14th, 2006, 10:05 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.british,soc.culture.usa,alt.politics.bush
The Reid[_1_]

Following up to Mxsmanic

What do you care if it's only 1 second in every year?

I'd have to reset it yearly.

you could wait 60 years, till it boke, was stolen, repaired.....
Old August 14th, 2006, 10:05 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.british,soc.culture.usa,alt.politics.bush
The Reid[_1_]

Following up to Hatunen

Apparently (and this still surprises me) mobiles have replaced the old fob
watches. People actually pull them out and look at them to ascertain the
time, rather than looking at their wrist. I have NO idea why.

I'm not following: fob watches aren't worn on the wrist.

I can easily fob you off with the fact phones areent either.
Old August 14th, 2006, 10:54 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.british,soc.culture.usa,alt.politics.bush
Dave Frightens Me

On 13 Aug 2006 21:25:19 -0700, "Tchiowa" wrote:

Dave Frightens Me wrote:
On 10 Aug 2006 18:01:31 -0700, "Tchiowa" wrote:

Utter rubbish. These people are no more likely to have links with Al
Qaeda and the Taliban than anyone else. They were just rounded up so
the USA could have some spoils.

And your proof of that?

They are being deprived due process only because many of them would be
found to have done nothing.

And your proof of *that*???

Just read the ****ing article and educate yourself. They have been
assumed guilty, and have no way of proving otherwise.

In other words you have to proof and you are willing to believe any
slanted article you can find.

Can you spell "gullible"?

Yet you believe politicians instead of facts from government sources.
An odd idea of gullible.
--
---
DFM - http://www.deepfriedmars.com
Old August 14th, 2006, 11:05 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.british,soc.culture.usa,alt.politics.bush
Dave Frightens Me

On Mon, 14 Aug 2006 00:28:31 +0200, Mxsmanic
wrote:

Dave Frightens Me writes:

What do you care if it's only 1 second in every year?

I'd have to reset it yearly.

Why would it be necessary?
--
---
Old August 14th, 2006, 11:43 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.british,soc.culture.usa,alt.politics.bush
Tchiowa

Jordi wrote:
Tchiowa wrote:
Jordi wrote:
Tchiowa wrote:

That's a gross oversimplification. Every economy (even the US) is a mix
of free market and government intervention, is the US also distorting
the market?

Do you understand the difference between "intervention" and "control"?
The difference between setting boundaries that can't be crossed and
defining the detail of individual transactions?

In this context, it's a matter of grade and word choice.

No, in this context it's the core of what works and what doesn't work.

Yup. In part. But they still have their passports. But my statement
still stands. Europeans travel "abroad" more than Americans because
damn near everything in Europe is "abroad" for Europeans? Brussels to
Amsterdam is a foreign trip. New York to LA isn't. Which is the greater
travel?

In terms of distance, it is, in cultural terms a trip from Athens to
Berlin is a greater 'distance'.

Nonsense. The difference in culture between New York City, San
Francisco, Miami, New Orleans are every bit as great.

The boundaries are there for a reason.

Hate, bigotry, a millienium of murder, how are those for starters?

I didn't say that. But we were discussing spending money on vacation.
You seem to be surrendering.

No, we're talking two completely different things. All this came after
you said more or less 'what's the use of holidays if people don't have
money to spend', Europeans do have enough money to keep a... say
'western' lifestyle without having to work 51 weeks a year, that's all.

But their "western" lifestyle is lower than American's.

And we have just about as much time to enjoy it together.

I don't think so if people have to wait until they're 50 to get 4 weeks
vacation.

They don't. Some do, some don't. But are you saying that you can't
enjoy time with your family and still work????

No, same subject. The vacation policy is hurting the workers.

So you say.

Me and the official unemployment statistics.

Oversimplificating again. Unemployment has very deep roots.

And the government mandated benefits that have no relation to effort
and productivity are part of those roots.

It's simple: excessive work causes stress but there is no way to
calculate how much is excessive as it depends on every individual and
work position.

Define "excessive". That was the question.

Excessive is easy to define the point is how much is excessive.

OK. I'm waiting for the definition and the point.

"there is no way to calculate how much is excessive as it depends on
every individual and work position."

Then how can you say that the amount Americans work is "excessive"?

Most. Read the studies. Vacations are times of high family violence due
to stress.

Do you have any cite or this is 'personal experience' again?

Lots of stats. I'll dig some out for you. Although I expect that you
won't believe them.

No, especially in France, the problems in hiring new people is because
it is quite hard to send them off if the worker turns out to be less than okay.

That's certainly part of it. But it's part of the same problem: laws
requiring that workers receive benefits (vacation, job guarantees,
etc.) that are not justified by their performance.

Once they're written down by law they're not benefits any more, they
become rights, and are the same for everyone. There are other benefits
beyond those that businesses own to motivate them.

???? Of course they are benefits. Just because they are government
mandated doesn't change that.

And since those benefits have no direct relation to productivity they
are a burden on the employer.

Old August 14th, 2006, 12:00 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.british,soc.culture.usa,alt.politics.bush
Tchiowa

Sarah Banick wrote:
"Tchiowa" wrote in message
oups.com...

Instead try asking how many people in the US travel away from home and
how far the typical trip is and compare with Europe. You'll find that
Americans travel more.

Do you have actual numbers on this? I am really curious to see if that is
true. There are many Americans who have never been out of their state or
region, especially those at the lower end of the socioeconomic ladder. Their
typical trip is to the nearest beach or amusement park.

You're wrong about that. There was a study done a few years ago about
Americans living below the poverty line and the majority of them took
annual vacations away from home.

I still agree with the others. An American driving from say, Virginia to
California, may cover a lot of territory, but he's still in the same culture
(all California jokes aside), he's still watching the same television
programs, speaking the same language, and not using a passport or being
exposed to the many quirks (for lack of a better word) of international travel.

Culture the same in New Orleans and New York?

I don't think so.

Now go compare the cultural differences between Amsterdam and Brussels.

Old August 14th, 2006, 12:09 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.british,soc.culture.usa,alt.politics.bush
Tchiowa

Mxsmanic wrote:
mrtravel writes:

A lot of them are time synced. My phone changes timezones when turned on
after arriving in a new timezone.

To what source are they synced?

My Sprint phone in the US does that.

It's a setting on the phone.