Munich to the French alps - the scenic route

Old August 19th, 2008, 04:10 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Jesper Lauridsen[_1_]

Default Munich to the French alps - the scenic route

Starting from Munich around 14:30 on a Friday. Given the late start, it's
unrealistic to reach France on the first, so a good place to break the
journey in Switzerland is needed. I'm thinking straight south to Austria
and then west into Switzerland

So, the questions a

A good place to stop in Switzerland.
A scenic route to the stop (hairpins are a plus).
A scenic route onwards to France.
Old August 19th, 2008, 08:07 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
virtuPIC

First question is: What would you like to see or to do? Mountains?
Cities? Lakes? Rivers? Something quiet or vibrating?

Zürich is a nice city. Interesting architecture and at the shore of
its own lake. If you want to make a side step you can also visit the
waterfall "Rheinfall" of Rhine river at Schaffhausen.

Near Bern there is also Matterhorn, the famous / infamous mountain.
Looks spectacular!

You will pass Lac Leman (sorry, I don't know it's English name). So
far I do only know the scenic views from the highway. But here you
could also have a break at Lausanne or so.

Well Geneve already almost is in the French Alps. But also said to be
spectacular. Have a break with a cup of coffee and a piece of cake
while looking at the fountain in the lake.

Hope this helps.

Learndy

--
Airspace V - international hangar flying!
http://www.airspace-v.com/ggadgets for tools & toys
Old August 19th, 2008, 08:49 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Mike Lane

On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 04:10:24 +0100, Jesper Lauridsen wrote
(in article ):

Starting from Munich around 14:30 on a Friday. Given the late start, it's
unrealistic to reach France on the first, so a good place to break the
journey in Switzerland is needed. I'm thinking straight south to Austria
and then west into Switzerland

So, the questions a

A good place to stop in Switzerland.
A scenic route to the stop (hairpins are a plus).
A scenic route onwards to France.

If you take the road from Innsbruck to Davos in Switzerland, you will
drive along routes 27 and 28 which are very spectacular roads. 28
crosses the Fluela pass which has enough hairpin bends to satisfy
anyone, I should think.

There are a number of small towns and villages on these routes which
all have plenty of hotels and Gasthofs (whether they will have vacant
accommodation at this time of year is another matter of course).

--
Mike Lane (UK North Yorkshire)
To contact me replace invalid with mike underscore lane

Old August 19th, 2008, 09:54 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
je

On 19 Aug., 05:10, Jesper Lauridsen wrote:
Starting from Munich around 14:30 on a Friday. Given the late start,
it's
unrealistic to reach France on the first, so a good place to break
the
journey in Switzerland is needed. I'm thinking straight south to
Austria
and then west into Switzerland

So, the questions a

A good place to stop in Switzerland.
A scenic route to the stop (hairpins are a plus).
A scenic route onwards to France.

Leaving Munich a Friday afternoon should allow you to
reach Engadine valley via Garmisch (or Innsbruck) and
from there continue via Flüela, Albula or Julier pass roads
to the upper Rhine Valley (Ilanz for Oberalppass).
You might stay either in Engadine valley (plenty of
tourist places), or somewhere on the road to Andermatt.

Depending on where you are heading in France, you
might then choose a route South or North of Bernese
Alps.
If you are heading to a region E/NE of Geneva, consider
Andermatt for Furka, Grimsel passes to Interlaken via
North shore of Lake Brienz, and - partially more boring
section - to Gstaad and one of the easy pass roads to
Montreux area for Geneva. Would be a long driving day

If S/SE of Geneva, I would choose Furka pass road,
then drive up Grimsel pass road for returning back
to Gletsch and from there to Brig. Brig to Martigny
is mostly boring (but options for great side-tours that
would take an additional day), from Martigny via
Col de la Forclaz you could reach Savoie region with
several interesting routes to Champery/Grenoble ..

Imho "the" mountain pass area is Furka (I prefer
from Realp to Ulrichen to the other way), Grimsel
(at least South ramp), St.Gotthard (especially the
old Tremola road) and Nufenen (Airolo to Ulrichen)
with Susten as less interesting (to longish)
additional pass. I usually start a tour out of Andermatt
(arriving from Göschenen). But expect lots of
traffic on weekends with good weather and try to
be as early in the morning on those roads. Just that
Munich-Andermatt on scenic routes will be kind
of long when leaving Munich on a Friday afternoon ....

Have a great trip!
Old August 19th, 2008, 09:28 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Jesper Lauridsen[_1_]

On 2008-08-19, Mike Lane wrote:
On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 04:10:24 +0100, Jesper Lauridsen wrote
(in article ):

So, the questions a

A good place to stop in Switzerland.
A scenic route to the stop (hairpins are a plus).
A scenic route onwards to France.

If you take the road from Innsbruck to Davos in Switzerland, you will
drive along routes 27 and 28 which are very spectacular roads. 28
crosses the Fluela pass which has enough hairpin bends to satisfy
anyone, I should think.

Davos seems like a good target for the first day.

That leaves the question of where to cross into Austria. There's route 23
(German numbering) at Garmisch, route 2 at Mittenwald or there's a smaller
road from Mittenwald to Leutasch.
Old August 19th, 2008, 11:58 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Mike Lane

On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 21:28:21 +0100, Jesper Lauridsen wrote
(in article ):

On 2008-08-19, Mike Lane wrote:
On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 04:10:24 +0100, Jesper Lauridsen wrote
(in article ):

So, the questions a

A good place to stop in Switzerland.
A scenic route to the stop (hairpins are a plus).
A scenic route onwards to France.

If you take the road from Innsbruck to Davos in Switzerland, you will
drive along routes 27 and 28 which are very spectacular roads. 28
crosses the Fluela pass which has enough hairpin bends to satisfy
anyone, I should think.

Davos seems like a good target for the first day.

That leaves the question of where to cross into Austria. There's route 23
(German numbering) at Garmisch, route 2 at Mittenwald or there's a smaller
road from Mittenwald to Leutasch.

I can't help you with that - I haven't done that route, but I'd say
the obvious way is down the autobahn and then via Garmisch. As I'm
sure you know, once you get get off the autobahn the roads are quite
slow. Hairpin bends can't be done at speed!

Old August 22nd, 2008, 12:44 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Jesper Lauridsen[_1_]

On 2008-08-19, Mike Lane wrote:

I can't help you with that - I haven't done that route, but I'd say
the obvious way is down the autobahn and then via Garmisch. As I'm
sure you know, once you get get off the autobahn the roads are quite
slow. Hairpin bends can't be done at speed!

That's what the handbrake is for.

Old August 22nd, 2008, 10:26 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Markku Grönroos

"Jesper Lauridsen" kirjoitti
.net...

Old August 22nd, 2008, 10:42 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne, _the_ chancellor[_2_]

Martin wrote:

On 21 Aug 2008 23:44:19 GMT, Jesper Lauridsen

On 2008-08-19, Mike Lane wrote:

I can't help you with that - I haven't done that route, but I'd say
the obvious way is down the autobahn and then via Garmisch. As I'm
sure you know, once you get get off the autobahn the roads are quite
slow. Hairpin bends can't be done at speed!

That's what the handbrake is for.

LOL

Yup- you can slow down as you pass real estate agents!

--
(*) of the royal duchy of city south and deansgate -www.davidhorne.net
(email address on website) "If people think God is interesting, the