Lock Bags or Not?

Old September 30th, 2003, 02:59 PM
Lansbury

Default Lock Bags or Not?

On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 11:11:53 +0100, Hilary
wrote:

Yes, but *I* was departing from Europe and collecting my bag in the USA.
There was no mention at my end of the fact that bags may be opened, no
notice inside, and no special TSA cable tie to re-secure it after.

It could have been opened in the UK if the x-ray showed something they
didn't like the look of.

I am not aware if it is opened in the UK that you are told it has been
done.

The again it could have been UK Customs because they check out bound
stuff as well.

--
Lansbury
Old September 30th, 2003, 03:44 PM
BrianM

Hilary wrote in message ...

There was no connecting flight. 1 transit in Europe, collect bag on
arrival in USA - it's been opened.

US-bound flights from Europe are subject to additional security. Without
going into details, the bag would have been examined before loading onto the
US flight, and not by the TSA who are domestic US only.

B.

Old September 30th, 2003, 03:58 PM
Linedancer

Miss L. Toe wrote:
"Hilary" wrote in message
What's the latest scoop on locking bags? We're travelling to Europe
soon with one stop-over. Should we or shouldn't we lock?

We are flying from Leeds Bradford to Las Vegas with KLM/NW changing
flights in Amsterdam and Detroit, we are not sure what to do either.

FWIW, I just flew from Europe to the USA. I secured my bags with
cable tipes (zipties to you). One bag had been opened when I
arrived, but contents were secure.

Where do we buy the cable tipes ? How do we get them off if we aren't
allowed to take scissors ?

There were signs at check in for ATL telling people not to lock their
bags.

I wonder if that applies to all US airports, if we lock them in the UK and
pick them up for immigration in Detroit, do we take off the lock or cable
tipes and leave them open ?

LD

---

Old September 30th, 2003, 05:20 PM
Roland Perry

In message
, Hilary
writes
I've seen those signs. They are for people checking in, at which point
your luggage has to go via a separate X-ray facility. If they find
something they don't like they open your bags and rummage through - all
in full sight of the concourse, although the passengers aren't invited
to attend.

You are able to stay with your bags until they have been x-rayed. You are
able to be present while your bags are searched.

Neither was the case when I last left the USA.

Thats interesting - are they now opening bags in Europe, or did they open it
after arrrival in the USA and before you collected it ???

They [sometimes] open them before you depart the USA. See above.

Yes, but *I* was departing from Europe and collecting my bag in the USA.
There was no mention at my end of the fact that bags may be opened, no
notice inside, and no special TSA cable tie to re-secure it after.

I think I've already posted here that my bags were rummaged through
anonymously and without warning by *someone*, between the UK and the USA
on both of my last trips there.
--
Roland Perry
Old September 30th, 2003, 05:35 PM
Miss L. Toe

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
[...]

Maybe its the baggage handlers ?

Old September 30th, 2003, 08:24 PM
Roland Perry

In message , Miss L. Toe
writes
Maybe its the baggage handlers ?

I fly from Gatwick not Thiefrow.
--
Roland Perry
Old October 1st, 2003, 09:17 AM
Miss L. Toe

"Hilary" wrote in message
There was no connecting flight. 1 transit in Europe, collect bag on
arrival in USA - it's been opened.

US-bound flights from Europe are subject to additional security. Without
going into details, the bag would have been examined before loading onto

the
US flight, and not by the TSA who are domestic US only.

Yes, as normal. X-ray, etc. I've never had a bag opened by European
security before, without my being present. And nowhere has anyone
European said "We may open your bag/break locks".

But how do you know that it was opened by Security staff, and not by someone
else ?

Old October 1st, 2003, 09:18 AM
Miss L. Toe

"Hilary" wrote in message
Where do we buy the cable tipes ? How do we get them off if we aren't
allowed to take scissors ?

You can get cable ties at stationers/electrical supplies/DIY shops... You
aren't allowed to carry scissors in hand luggage, but any hotel/relative
will be able to lend you some. Nail clippers also work, and I've heard
that you can use a pen as leverage and break them that way.

I wonder if that applies to all US airports, if we lock them in the UK

and
pick them up for immigration in Detroit, do we take off the lock or

cable
tipes and leave them open ?

Leave them unlocked when you check in at the UK end.

I usually lock them at the UK side, then unlock them before handing them
over in the US for the onward connection.

Old October 10th, 2003, 04:25 AM
Mark

You can get bag ties which require cutting home depot etc
magellans has luggage seals
http://www.tamperseal.com makes luggage security seals
all these are $5.00 or less

Old October 11th, 2003, 09:40 AM
Mark

I was under the impression that you should not lock your bag in/out of the
US as they randomly open them.
I personally never lock any of them and in 20 years of travel have never had
anything go missing.

Mark