Bomb found on French rail line

Old March 24th, 2004, 08:14 PM
Earl Evleth

Default Bomb found on French rail line

If it the AZF group it is not a terrorist act
but extortion, they are tying to get money.
The bomb was not wired up in any case.

The government is trying to arrange payment, which of course
will be an attempted trap which the extortionists know. But
not contact no money. The game goes on.

Earl

****

Bomb found on French rail line

Wednesday, March 24, 2004 Posted: 1:20 PM EST (1820 GMT)

PARIS, France (CNN) -- A rail worker found an explosive device half-buried
in the bed of a railway line heading from France to Switzerland, government
officials and the French rail service SNCF said.

"An employee from SNCF was working on the trackwhen he found something
suspicious and he contacted the police." said an SNCF spokeswoman.

According to a statement from the Interior Ministry, the device --
discovered near the city of Troyes -- had been defused by bomb disposal
experts.

The ministry said the bomb was small and would not have damaged the tracks.

The SNCF spokeswoman said the rail worker had been inspecting the tracks "as
part of his regular duties, and also in light of recent threats from this
group calling themselves AZF," she added.

The Interior Ministry statement said the device did not resemble one left by
a group calling itself the AZF -- a group that had made demands of cash and
threats to blow up tracks in France. ( Full story )

The statement described the device as a small, translucent plastic box
measuring 20 centimeters by 20 centimeters.

The box contained nitrate fuel and a flat-shaped battery linked to seven
detonators, The Associated Press reported.

The device was discovered shortly after noon. No group immediately claimed
responsibility.

Experts continue to examine the device in a police central laboratory to
determine how dangerous it was.

AZF claimed to have planted nine bombs along the country's rail network and
has threatened to explode them unless it is paid millions of euros..

The threats by AZF, first disclosed in early March, appeared in at least
three letters sent to the offices of President Jacques Chirac and Interior
Minister Nicolas Sarkozy on December 10, February 13 and February 17.

The letters, demanding sums of $4 million and 1 million euros -- the
equivalent of $1.2 million -- threatened railway targets.

Information from the group led to the recovery February 21 of a
sophisticated explosive device buried in tracks near Limoges in central
France.

Tests showed that the Limoges bomb was powerful enough to rupture the track,
the government said at the time. It was made from a mixture of diesel fuel
and nitrates and had a sophisticated detonator, judicial officials had said.

Meanwhile, fearing more bombs could be hidden, the state rail company SNCF
sent nearly 10,000 maintenance workers to inspect its 32,000 km (20,000
miles) of track on foot; they found nothing.

-- CNN Producer Eden Pontz contributed to this report

Copyright 2004 CNN. All rights reserved.This mat

Old March 24th, 2004, 08:56 PM
Tim Kroesen

I'd suggest your Country capitulate immediately and totally to preserve
some remnant your beloved 'society'...

This tactic has worked for your country in the past until someone else
comes along to save your plundered asses. Lafayette is rolling in his
grave; again...

Tim K

"Earl Evleth" wrote in message
....... The game goes on.

Earl

****

Bomb found on French rail line

Old March 24th, 2004, 10:14 PM
Marie Lewis

"Tim Kroesen" wrote in message
ink.net...
I'd suggest your Country capitulate immediately and totally to preserve
some remnant your beloved 'society'...

This tactic has worked for your country in the past until someone else
comes along to save your plundered asses. Lafayette is rolling in his
grave; again...

Tim K

My goodness, do you neber have an original thought?

Old March 25th, 2004, 10:15 AM
Earl Evleth

On 24/03/04 21:56, in article
et, "Tim Kroesen"
wrote:

I'd suggest your Country capitulate immediately and totally to preserve
some remnant your beloved 'society'...

I have two countries, like Bruce Springsteen, I was "born in the USA".

So I will assume you are talking about the USA.

Now if you are referring to the War in Iraq, I presume you mean
a Vietnam repeat? Bugging out or surrendering to Ben Laden! Shocking.

This tactic has worked for your country in the past until someone else
comes along to save your plundered asses. Lafayette is rolling in his
grave; again...

True, the French did save the Americans' asses in the Revolutionary War,
and Yorktown was a French victory over the British. But the French have
not asked for gratitude.

I hope you aren`t French. If so, you are inordinately impolite to bring
this subject up, it is uncharacteristically French to do so.

Earl

Old March 25th, 2004, 09:26 PM
Tim Kroesen

How dare you call yourself an 'American' any more! As far as I'm
concerned you relinquished your US citizenship by abstentia at least;
'passport' or not. Furthermore you damn well should be prohibited from
US voting too.

Now go sign and deposit that US financed check that supports your
leftist French punditry...

Old March 25th, 2004, 11:26 PM
devil

On Thu, 25 Mar 2004 21:26:23 +0000, Tim Kroesen wrote:

How dare you call yourself an 'American' any more! As far as I'm
concerned you relinquished your US citizenship by abstentia at least;
'passport' or not.

?

Talking of absence, or abstention?

But anyway, what sort of an argument is that? Smells of fascism at best.
Brazilain military regime: Love it (the country, but also, in the best
fascist tradition, blurring all distinction between
country/regime/government) or leave.

You now seem to claim that anyone who disagree with the nutcases in the
White House should not qualify for citizenship, or what? Otherwise, on
what grounds would you strip him of his citizenship? You don't seem to
believe in free speech, to say the least?

Furthermore you damn well should be prohibited from
US voting too.

Now go sign and deposit that US financed check that supports your
leftist French punditry...

???

What cheque is that?

Anyway, bottom line is that Earl got first hand experience of living in
the US, and in France.

A vantage point that few people around have.

Seems since you don't like the conclusions, you find it easier to shoot at
the messenger?

Old March 25th, 2004, 11:44 PM
Frank F. Matthews

He gets to call himself an American because he is an American citizen.
In fact he behaves far more like an American than Tim does. FFM

Tim Kroesen wrote:

How dare you call yourself an 'American' any more! As far as I'm
concerned you relinquished your US citizenship by abstentia at least;
'passport' or not. Furthermore you damn well should be prohibited from
US voting too.

Now go sign and deposit that US financed check that supports your
leftist French punditry...

Tim K

"Earl Evleth" wrote in message

On 24/03/04 21:56, in article
.net, "Tim Kroesen"

Old March 25th, 2004, 11:52 PM
Mxsmanic

Tim Kroesen writes:

How dare you call yourself an 'American' any more!

Anyone with American nationality is American.

As far as I'm concerned you relinquished your US
citizenship by abstentia at least; 'passport' or not.

Fortunately, citizenship status is not a function of your concern.

Furthermore you damn well should be prohibited from
US voting too.

See above.

Old March 26th, 2004, 01:51 AM
Charles Hawtrey

devil crawled to the nearest keyboard and
summoned the courage to write:

On Thu, 25 Mar 2004 21:26:23 +0000, Tim Kroesen wrote:

How dare you call yourself an 'American' any more! As far as I'm
concerned you relinquished your US citizenship by abstentia at least;
'passport' or not.

?

Talking of absence, or abstention?

But anyway, what sort of an argument is that? Smells of fascism at best.
Brazilain military regime: Love it (the country, but also, in the best
fascist tradition, blurring all distinction between
country/regime/government) or leave.

I think Mr. Kroesen's point is that Mr. Evleth DID leave...

(not that I agree with Mr. Kroesen in the larger sense)

--
Ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make
you mad. (Aldous Huxley)