Safari Kenia and Gorila tracking

Old April 7th, 2005, 01:56 PM
Carlos

Default Safari Kenia and Gorila tracking

I am planning a travel to Kenia in August,and go into a Safari. I
prefer Kenia rather Tanzania, because in August migrations are moving
from Tanzania to Kenia.

1) I think Masai Mara is the best option for a Safari, but I woul like
to visit other site.
What would you select Samburu or Amboseli?? Is it worth to visit a
Lake, like Nakuru lake?

2) I would like to see Gorillas too, I don't know what it the best
options for Gorillas and Chimpanzees.
What do you recommend Keynia, Uganda or Rwanda?? Any recommendations!

3) I am worry about the time I must spend in going from one site to
other.
Do you recommend moving by Plane or Car??

4) I have read that in the Safaris, many people go in a minibus. Do
you recommed use a 4x4 vehicle ??

Regards
Old April 7th, 2005, 10:33 PM
Liz

In message
(Carlos) wrote:

I am planning a travel to Kenia in August,and go into a Safari. I
prefer Kenia rather Tanzania, because in August migrations are moving
from Tanzania to Kenia.

1) I think Masai Mara is the best option for a Safari, but I woul like
to visit other site.
What would you select Samburu or Amboseli?? Is it worth to visit a
Lake, like Nakuru lake?

Amboseli is very nice, but Samburu is best for a contrast with the Mara.
Visiting a lake is best if you're interested in birds.
Lake Nakuru is good, Lake Baringo is best for birds.
Lake Naivasha is also good, and you can go onto Crater Lake reserve and walk
among the game as there are no dangerous predators.

2) I would like to see Gorillas too, I don't know what it the best
options for Gorillas and Chimpanzees.
What do you recommend Keynia, Uganda or Rwanda?? Any recommendations!

No gorillas in Kenya.
No chimps in Kenya either apart from the captive ones at Swee****ers Camp.
Someone else will need to advise between Uganda and Rwanda.
They're both expensive.

3) I am worry about the time I must spend in going from one site to
other.
Do you recommend moving by Plane or Car??

If you don't try to cram too much into your trip, a vehicle will be much
cheaper, and you won't waste too much time going from place to place. Too
many people try to cram in too many places in too short a time.
Flying is nice for the 'out of Africa' experience, but they don't run to
strict timetables (think "African time") and you can spend a weary hour or
two sitting around waiting for them to arrive.

4) I have read that in the Safaris, many people go in a minibus. Do
you recommed use a 4x4 vehicle ??

Not necessary in August, it's the dry season.
Someone else will be along to advise on self-driving.

Safari njema

Liz

--
Virtual Liz now at
http://www.v-liz.com
Old April 8th, 2005, 12:06 PM
Carlos

Thanks Liz,

I know that I should avoid cramming my trip, but the problem is that I
am looking for a organized travel in a Spanish travel agency, and all
the tours spend only one day in each place, and two days in Masai
Mara. I would like to visit less places and spend more time in each
place.

Do you know any travel provider which offers less places and more time
in each place. I don't know where to find in Spain.

Regards.

Old April 8th, 2005, 01:27 PM
Liz

In message
(Carlos) wrote:

Thanks Liz,

I know that I should avoid cramming my trip, but the problem is that I
am looking for a organized travel in a Spanish travel agency, and all
the tours spend only one day in each place, and two days in Masai
Mara. I would like to visit less places and spend more time in each
place.

Do you know any travel provider which offers less places and more time
in each place. I don't know where to find in Spain.

I think if you want to do an organised tour combining safari and gorilla
trekking and have limited time (e.g. less than two weeks) that would likely
be what you would get, though I don't know any tour operators in Spain.

You can do a tailor-made tour with any number of companies: we've used
Express Travel in Kenya
http://www.etg-safaris.com, but there are lots more.
Their website only gives 'set' safaris, but basically they can do anything
within Kenya that you want. They have a sister company in Tz, but I'm not
sure about Uganda or Rwanda.

You can book directly with a company in Kenya if you want. If Spain is like
UK and that's not advisable for insurance reasons, you could choose a
company then ask them which Spanish operator represents them. In the UK,
this usually works out cheaper, because the company gets discounts from the
operator and with the airlines.
The price of a tailor-made isn't always much more than a 'brochure' safari:
you can specify price range when you start getting your trip planned - so
long as there are at least two of you. If you're on your own, it's
different.
Tell me about it. :-(((

There seem to be quite a few companies in the UK now which encourage you to
tailor-make your own trip: some let you combine Kenya with Uganda or Rwanda.
They're not always that easy to find, but advertise in mags like BBC
wildlife. Maybe some Spanish companies do the same?

Otherwise, it might be possible for you to organise a trip with a UK
tailor-making company? I don't know whether their liability extends to
non-Brits - maybe EU citizens are covered? - but I really don't know, you'd
need to check this carefully yourself.

If in the end you go with a group tour you will enjoy yourself, but if you
have less than two weeks, maybe you should consider maybe a Kenyan safari
this time, and a gorilla trek next?

I don't know why so many companies compete with each other using almost the
same tour and arrangements (one night/two night strategies) You'd think some
would start catering for returners...or else maybe I'm a lone voice crying
in the wilderness...

Safari njema

Liz

Old April 8th, 2005, 07:17 PM
Liz

In message
Liz wrote:

I think if you want to do an organised tour combining safari and gorilla
trekking and have limited time (e.g. less than two weeks) that would likely
be what you would get, though I don't know any tour operators in Spain.

You might try Javier's site:
http://www.kenyalogy.com

His Spanish language section is at:
http://www.kenyalogy.com/indexe.com

He used to post here, though not for a while.

Slainte

Liz

Old April 12th, 2005, 01:24 PM
Carlos

Hello Javier,

Do you know any travel provider in Spain, which let me to custom my
travel. I want to stay 9 or 10 days in Kenia, and spend 2 or 3 days in
each site.

I want to see mammals in Africa. I am not interested in birds.

I think with only 9 or 10 days my route should be:
2/3 days in Amboseli
2/3 days in Samburu
3/4 days in Masai Mara

So I am not very interested in birds, I don't know if it is worth to
spend a day in a lake.

Could you suggest me a good route??

All brochures in Spain spend only one night in each place, except in
Masai Mara where you stay two nights.

Any suggestion for customizing my travel??

Thanks

"Javier Gómez-García" wrote in message ...
In message
(Carlos) wrote:

4) I have read that in the Safaris, many people go in a minibus. Do
you recommed use a 4x4 vehicle ??

It depends on who drives. Local drivers don't need a 4x4, they could drive a
train carriage through quicksand. But still this doesn't guarantee your
personal integrity. If you drive yourself, yes, by all means take a 4x4.