The Carnivore, Nairobi

Old March 10th, 2008, 10:45 PM posted to rec.travel.africa
Liz Leyden

Default The Carnivore, Nairobi

The last time I was in Kenya (July 06) I was told the Carnivore
restaurant had been closed.
I've been asked if it has re-opened, but all the info I can find on a
quick web check is dated; even their own website is dated 2006.
So: has it re-opened since then, and is it currently open during the
unrest?

Thanks
Liz

--
http://www.v-liz.com - Kenya; Tanzania; Namibia; India; Galapagos

Old March 11th, 2008, 10:39 PM posted to rec.travel.africa
Pat Anderson

In message , Liz Leyden
writes
The last time I was in Kenya (July 06) I was told the Carnivore
restaurant had been closed.
I've been asked if it has re-opened, but all the info I can find on a
quick web check is dated; even their own website is dated 2006.
So: has it re-opened since then, and is it currently open during the
unrest?

Thanks
Liz

Liz,
I don`t know if the Carnivore is open or not but you can try to send an
email to Lets Go Travel in Nairobi, I`m sure they would reply and let
you know. Just an idea.
Best wishes,
Pat.
--
Pat Anderson
Old March 13th, 2008, 12:57 AM posted to rec.travel.africa
Liz Leyden

In message
Pat Anderson wrote:

In message , Liz Leyden
writes
The last time I was in Kenya (July 06) I was told the Carnivore
restaurant had been closed.
I've been asked if it has re-opened, but all the info I can find on a
quick web check is dated; even their own website is dated 2006.
So: has it re-opened since then, and is it currently open during the
unrest?

Thanks
Liz

Liz,
I don`t know if the Carnivore is open or not but you can try to send an
email to Lets Go Travel in Nairobi, I`m sure they would reply and let
you know. Just an idea.
Best wishes,
Pat.

Thanks, Pat.
I have heard that it has been open since I was last in Kenya, but I
don't know about the present.

--
http://www.v-liz.com - Kenya; Tanzania; Namibia; India; Galapagos

Old March 13th, 2008, 09:19 AM posted to rec.travel.africa
rydale

Hi Liz/Pat

We were over there last summer, and the Carnivore was open (August time).
However, they are no longer allowed to sell there exotic 'game', so it is
beef, pork, lamb, ostrich, chicken only.
I believe it was felt to send the wrong message to the tourists, and some of
the tribes were (understandably) annoyed that they were not themselves
allowed to kill the zebra, impala, crocodiles etc for meat.

It was still a good atmosphere, but the novelty value isn't there, and I
actually really liked the Impala!

Whether it is still open 6 months on I don't know.

Rgds

Charles
www.wildviews.com

Old March 13th, 2008, 01:23 PM posted to rec.travel.africa
Pat Anderson

Hi Charles,
I`m sure Liz will reply but thanks for the info. My husband, Andy,
reminded me the Carnivore was part of the Tamarind group, he found
their site and also told me he recalled the exotic game was no longer
available. Like you I liked the impala, which I`ve eaten there. Charles,
my first African experience was when Andy got a job in the Niger Delta,
Nigeria, one evening there was a BBQ and one of the men brought back a
small gazelle, I don`t know how it died but it was delicious, so tender.
Re the Carnivore, at one time there were antelope and Ostrich which were
"farmed" under licence, David Hopcraft used to have a game ranch and
was a main supplier I believe.
I can understand the message being sent out but the bush meat trade, as
we know, continues in some areas.
Pat.

In message , rydale
writes

Old March 14th, 2008, 08:20 AM posted to rec.travel.africa
Liz Leyden

In message
"rydale" wrote:

Hi Liz/Pat

We were over there last summer, and the Carnivore was open (August time).
However, they are no longer allowed to sell there exotic 'game', so it is
beef, pork, lamb, ostrich, chicken only.
I believe it was felt to send the wrong message to the tourists, and some of
the tribes were (understandably) annoyed that they were not themselves
allowed to kill the zebra, impala, crocodiles etc for meat.

It was still a good atmosphere, but the novelty value isn't there, and I
actually really liked the Impala!

Whether it is still open 6 months on I don't know.

Tbanks for the info. It was actually an enquiry I got due to me
putting on my website that it was closed!
Naively, I'd assumed that the game sold there was ranched!

Slainte
Liz

--
http://www.v-liz.com - Kenya; Tanzania; Namibia; India; Galapagos