[OT] Best and Worst American Cities according to Europeans

Old January 7th, 2007, 04:50 AM posted to alt.travel,houston.general,rec.sport.football.college,rec.sport.soccer,rec.travel.usa-canada
Dave Christian

Default [OT] Best and Worst American Cities according to Europeans

In article ,
says...
Europeans, particularly Italians and French, besides living in two of the
most beautiful countries in the world, are known for their good taste when
it comes to quality of life (food, clothes, cars, night life, weather,
women, etc). According to a recent poll these are the impressions of
Europeans about American cities.

5 Best (the least American cities):

San Diego

Disagree. I've been there a LOT and it's dullsville.

Miami
NYC
San Francisco
Boston

Agree. Great American cities. I would add Seattle as the 5th. I
believe San Antonio deserves a spot in here somewhere (6th?).

5 Worst (typical American cities):

Houston
Dallas
Pittsburgh
Detroit
Cleveland

I could see how someone might draw this conclusion. Personally,
I love Cleveland and Pittsburgh. Not too fond of the rest.

Most Overrated (these cities are not necessarily bad, just plain overrated
by Americans who have no standards):

New Orleans
Austin
Los Angeles

Disagree. All 3 have things going for them.

Chicago
Las Vegas

Agree. I would add Philadelphia, Kansas City, and Phoenix to this.
Tampa too.

How about Underrated?
Portland
Washington, DC
Providence
Santa Fe
Atlanta
Old January 7th, 2007, 04:59 AM posted to alt.travel,houston.general,rec.sport.football.college,rec.sport.soccer,rec.travel.usa-canada
Jefferson N. Glapski

"James Schrumpf" wrote in message
. 97.142...
When my wife spent some time in Paris in the late '70s, she described it
as "a dirty town with dog **** all over the streets."

I doubt it's improved since then.

No, Parisians are still all over the streets.

--
http://www.ohiostatesucks.org

http://www.notredamesucks.org

Old January 7th, 2007, 05:01 AM posted to alt.travel,houston.general,rec.sport.football.college,rec.sport.soccer,rec.travel.usa-canada
Jefferson N. Glapski

"Bill in Schenectady" wrote in message

"striker" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Do Americans agree?

Since I've never been to Miami, I'll withhold judgment. However, I've
always thought it was rather crime ridden. San Diego gets a strong pass
for its climate, but I haven't been there in 30 years.

However, I think Pittsburgh and Chicago get a bum rap here. Pittsburgh is
a nice smaller major city with active neighborhoods. Chicago strikes me
as sort of Manhattan light: it has the lights, the buildings, the
traffic, but not quite the edge. I've liked it the three times that I've
been there.

Damn straight skippy. Pittsburgh is very underrated. So is Buffalo. And in
this idiotic thread, Chicago is as well.

Agree about NYC, Boston and SF. All are unique cities worth visiting.
Also each of these do not require a car to get around.

You're missing SF without a car. Some of the nicest things in SF are just
outside of SF, like Sausalito, San Rafael, Muir Woods, **** like that.

Old January 7th, 2007, 05:02 AM posted to alt.travel,houston.general,rec.sport.football.college,rec.sport.soccer,rec.travel.usa-canada
Jefferson N. Glapski

"striker" wrote in message
. ..

"Bill in Schenectady" wrote in message
Since I've never been to Miami, I'll withhold judgment. However, I've
always thought it was rather crime ridden.

Huge misconception based on the movies from the 80's (Scarface and Miami
Vice). 20 years later as you see it doesn't make the top 25 most dangerous
cities and it's actually quite safe except for a couple of parts just like
every city.

Miami sucks. I prefer Tuscaloosa to Miami.

Old January 7th, 2007, 05:03 AM posted to fl.general,rec.sport.football.college,rec.sport.soccer,rec.travel,rec.travel.usa-canada
Jefferson N. Glapski

"striker" wrote in message
. ..

" krp" wrote in message

"striker" wrote in message

"Bill in Schenectady" wrote in message

"striker" wrote in message
. ..

"Jack Hollis" wrote in message
Miami would be nicer if the weather was a bit cooler.

WHAT?!?!??! Are you crazy? Miami is awsome especially cause it's never
cold! 72 is the low in the winter.

Yes and 90 with 90% humidity and daily downpours in the summer.

The summer showers last no more than 30 mins in the late afternoon
tipically. I personally love the sun and the warm weather and so do
Europeans since they actually have a life (vacations) besides working.

He could always try Tampa it's a bit cooler in the summer and warmer in
the winter than Miami/

Lived in Tampa for two years, Austin four years, and now since 6 months
ago in SF. Never lived in Miami but visited tons of times. Easily best
city in the country with NYC.

Especially considering your lifestyle.

Old January 7th, 2007, 05:04 AM posted to alt.travel,houston.general,rec.sport.football.college,rec.sport.soccer,rec.travel.usa-canada
Jefferson N. Glapski

"Tony Rice" wrote in message
"striker" wrote in
:

Europeans, particularly Italians and French, besides living in two of
the most beautiful countries in the world, are known for their good
taste when it comes to quality of life (food, clothes, cars, night
life, weather, women, etc). According to a recent poll these are the
impressions of Europeans about American cities.

5 Best (the least American cities):

Miami
San Diego
NYC
San Francisco
Boston

San Francisco is a pretty cool city, Miami belongs on the overrated
list, as does NYC. It is impossible for any city to live up to the hype
reaped upon NYC

5 Worst (typical American cities):

Houston
Dallas
Pittsburgh
Detroit
Cleveland

Cleveland isn't as bad as it's reputation but it's not all that
interesting either. The rest are just airports to me.

Houston's excellent as a city, but the airport (Bush) sucks, especially on
an extended wait on a connecting flight.

Old January 7th, 2007, 05:07 AM posted to alt.travel,houston.general,rec.sport.football.college,rec.sport.soccer,rec.travel.usa-canada
Jefferson N. Glapski

"Dave Christian" wrote in message
[...]

You are wrong. I can see why you'd think that about Philly, but I like
Philly.

How about Underrated?
Portland
Washington, DC
Providence
Santa Fe
Atlanta

Outside of the capitol area, what does Washington really offer, outside of
being close to Alexandria?

Old January 7th, 2007, 05:23 AM posted to alt.travel,houston.general,rec.sport.football.college,rec.sport.soccer,rec.travel.usa-canada
striker[_1_]

"Jefferson N. Glapski" wrote in
message news9%nh.115794$rv4.14864@edtnps90...
"striker" wrote in message
. ..

"Bill in Schenectady" wrote in message
Since I've never been to Miami, I'll withhold judgment. However, I've
always thought it was rather crime ridden.

Huge misconception based on the movies from the 80's (Scarface and Miami
Vice). 20 years later as you see it doesn't make the top 25 most
dangerous cities and it's actually quite safe except for a couple of
parts just like every city.

Miami sucks. I prefer Tuscaloosa to Miami.

This is a compliment coming from somebody that said:

"Pittsburgh is very underrated. So is Buffalo" and "Houston's excellent as a
city"

Old January 7th, 2007, 05:25 AM posted to alt.travel,houston.general,rec.sport.football.college,rec.sport.soccer,rec.travel.usa-canada
Jefferson N. Glapski

"striker" wrote in message
. ..

wrote in message
ups.com...
striker wrote:
Europeans, particularly Italians and French, besides living in two of
the
most beautiful countries in the world, are known for their good taste

Do Americans agree?

no

Looking at how popular fashion designers from Italy and France are around
the World (US included), I would say so.

No wonder you like Miami!