2005 Summer trip, PDX-GLA

Old September 29th, 2003, 06:22 AM
Deirdre Saoirse Moen

Default 2005 Summer trip, PDX-GLA

In article , "Please invert
everything left of the @ to reply" wrote:

Going on BA out of SEA, I'm seeing flights from $698 with travel times of
14 hours. Significantly better on both time and money.

For grins, it's about $632 on BA flying out of SFO (San Francisco), but
you may not want to go over the pointy mountains in between.

Not afraid of pointy mountains, but am concerned about SFO's
less-than-stellar on-time record.

Well, it's a single flight to LHR with a connection there, so it's not a
big problem. In 14 hours, it's likely to be able to make up extra time.

BTW, I hope to be there as well (supporting member at present).

--
_Deirdre http://deirdre.net
"Dogs may have kept us company on the hunt, but it was the cats who
Old September 29th, 2003, 10:10 AM
Mark Hewitt

"Deirdre Saoirse Moen" wrote in message
In article , "Please invert
everything left of the @ to reply" wrote:

After 14 hours, they all suck. Actually, the flight is 9:30, there's a
3:10 layover (to clear customs, in part), then short flight to Glasgow.

If you are flying SEA-LHR-GLA then there is no need to clear customs at LHR,
this is done at GLA. You will need to clear immigration however.

Old September 29th, 2003, 08:32 PM
Geoff Glave

Avoid LHR or AMS if you can. By the time you travel the new terminal at
YYZ should be open.

Yes, but then the traveler would have to clear customs *twice.* That
doesn't sound very efficient.

Can't speak for YYZ, but if the traveler chooses to route via YVR they
wouldn't have to clear customs in Vancouver - They can move from US arrivals
straight to international departures. This was a design feature in the
airport's construction to help encourage transit passengers to use YVR as an
international hub.

(And often a ticket on AC from PDX = YVR = LHR is cheaper than a ticket
from YVR = LHR!)

Cheers,
Geoff Glave
Vancouver, Canada

Old September 29th, 2003, 09:36 PM
S Viemeister

Mark Hewitt wrote:

"Deirdre Saoirse Moen" wrote in message
In article , "Please invert
everything left of the @ to reply" wrote:

After 14 hours, they all suck. Actually, the flight is 9:30, there's a
3:10 layover (to clear customs, in part), then short flight to Glasgow.

If you are flying SEA-LHR-GLA then there is no need to clear customs at LHR,
this is done at GLA. You will need to clear immigration however.

Odd. The last time I did that trip, I cleared Customs in London, and
Immigration in Glasgow.
Old September 29th, 2003, 11:22 PM
Fraser

As a regular traveller at GLA, customs is virtually non-existent if you're
coming off a domestic flight. The bags just come out on a different carousel
but very rarely is the customs desk actually staffed.

Old September 30th, 2003, 01:29 AM
Not the Karl Orff

In article
,
Hilary wrote:

1. Are transcontinental fares better if we start from Seattle than
Portland?

Sometimes. If you're willing to travel, also check Vancouver. The
airport taxes can be up to 20GBP lower, and there is a direct
Vancouver-Glasgow flighht.

Um there is? Charter one perhaps but not one that runs daily.

2. How do we get there with only one connection?

KLM from Seattle via Amsterdam. Or fly with Lufthansa from Portland to
Edinburgh via
Frankfurt.

KLM doesn't fly to.from SEA but it's terrible twin NW does.
Old September 30th, 2003, 01:31 AM
Not the Karl Orff

In article ,
"Please invert everything left of the @ to reply"
wrote:

My wife and I are planning a WorldCon trip in 2005 from Portland OR, USA to
Glasgow, Scotland. Many questions come to mind:

1. Are transcontinental fares better if we start from Seattle than
Portland?

sometimes. SEA also has 3 international flights to Europe (NW, BA and
SK)

2. How do we get there with only one connection?

either via LHR, AMS or CPH (if possible) from SEA, via FRA if leaving
from PDX.

3. Which carriers and aircraft have the most comfortable seats for sleeping
in Economy and Business?

In BC, BA is said to have the best with flat horizontal seats. I live
NW's WBC myself. Not sure about SK and LH products but I hear the
latter isn;t too good.

4. Do any of those have 120VAC 1A or 12VDC 8A power connections for a CPAP
machine?

as for outlets, none that i am aware of have 12-17 VDC outlets.
Old September 30th, 2003, 01:32 AM
Not the Karl Orff

In article ,
S Viemeister wrote:

Mark Hewitt wrote:

"Deirdre Saoirse Moen" wrote in message
In article , "Please invert
everything left of the @ to reply" wrote:

After 14 hours, they all suck. Actually, the flight is 9:30, there's a
3:10 layover (to clear customs, in part), then short flight to Glasgow.

If you are flying SEA-LHR-GLA then there is no need to clear customs at LHR,
this is done at GLA. You will need to clear immigration however.

Odd. The last time I did that trip, I cleared Customs in London, and
Immigration in Glasgow.

how the heck did oyu manage that? Interesting. you could have slipped
inside the U.K.
Old September 30th, 2003, 01:34 AM
Not the Karl Orff

wrote:

My wife and I are planning a WorldCon trip in 2005 from Portland OR, USA to
Glasgow, Scotland. Many questions come to mind:

1. Are transcontinental fares better if we start from Seattle than
Portland?

2. How do we get there with only one connection?

3. Which carriers and aircraft have the most comfortable seats for sleeping
in Economy and Business?

4. Do any of those have 120VAC 1A or 12VDC 8A power connections for a CPAP
machine?

Oh, any frequent flyer plan affinity?