Question about Journal Square Neighborhood

Old May 9th, 2004, 06:59 PM
Peter T. Daniels

Default Question about Journal Square Neighborhood

Is there a map of Jersey Transit buses anywhere? I find schedules, but
if you don't know where they run, the timetables are of limited
usefulness ...
--
Peter T. Daniels
Old May 10th, 2004, 09:15 PM
Jonathan Rynd

"Peter T. Daniels" wrote in
:

Is there a map of Jersey Transit buses anywhere? I find schedules, but
if you don't know where they run, the timetables are of limited
usefulness ...

Yes, but you can't get it. It is apparently a tightly guarded NJTransit
secret.

Part of the problem is that density in NJ, both of population and of bus
routes, varies greatly. Some areas wouldn't have enough space for all
the bus routes that travel on them, other areas would be mostly empty
space because bus coverage is so sparse.

What gets close:
http://www.njtransit.com/sf_routesbycounty.shtm

tells you all the bus routes that go through a specific town.

Occasionally at Hoboken or Newark Penn there is a holder with routes by
county. It's a schematic map of one county with towns represented as
boxes, joined by lines if there is an NJ Transit service linking the two
towns. The lines are overlaid with the bus route numbers.

However it's been years since I've seen those maps available.

--
My email address has an extra @ (spell it out) and an extra invalid.
Please remove them if you are not a spammer or list broker and want to
Old May 11th, 2004, 03:37 PM
Steve Lackey

"Peter T. Daniels" wrote in message
Is there a map of Jersey Transit buses anywhere? I find schedules, but
if you don't know where they run, the timetables are of limited
usefulness ...
--
Peter T. Daniels

Sorry, was going to get around to that someday...

- Steve
www.transitcat.com

Old May 18th, 2004, 05:45 AM

On Wed, 05 May 2004 18:38:38 -0400, 127.0.0.1 wrote:

On 5 May 2004 14:43:58 -0700, (Edward)
wrote:

Hi, I am going to start my job in mid-town Manhattan and considering
living in Journal Square in Jersey City because of the lower rent.

and someone who hasn't a clue gave a wrong answer

Journal Sq. is a very diverse area, english speakers are in the
minority,

Not true at all. I was born in the area and have lived here most of 71
years. While we have a highly diverse population, I have rarely
encountered anyone who does not speak English.

It would be more accurate to say that most of the people who live in
the Journal Square area are multi-lingual.

there are some nicer areas to the north of the Sq. off JFK

I live a ten minute walk south of Journal Square. It's a wonderful
neighborhood. Housing is good and while still a lot cheaper than NYC,
we are showing signs of rising prices. But you can still buy a first
class brownstone or a grand Victorian for under $200k or rent a
spacious 1 and 2 bedroom apartment in an older but good building for
under $1k per month.

The bus at my front door goes to Times Square in 30 minutes. Or, I can
walk to the Square and take a 10 minute subway ride to the Village and
reach Herald Square in about 15/20 minutes or the World Trade Center
in 10 minutes.

Come to our house tour next Sunday, May 23 and get to know our
neighborhood. It starts at Noon from the Jersey City Women's Club (a
nicely preserved 100 year old building).

See
www.lincolnparktour.com. When you click on "images", you will see
the Fairmount Apartments. This 1912 building was totally remodeled
inside and well-restored outside only 5 years ago. I live on the top
floor. The Duncan Apartments, another of the images, are directly
across the street. To be candid, they are not the least expensive
rentals but there are plenty others, not as grand, that are.

(be patient - whoever built the web site is an elitist who thinks
everyone has a DSL connection that can handle flash web pages and runs
their computer on high resolution - but demonstrably knows nothing
about how Internet web sites are supposed to deliver information.)

At the Women's Club I will be showing a 4 foot by three foot aerial
photo of the entire Journal Square area. It was taken in 1930, give or
take a year or so.

About two hours ago I attended a civic meeting in the same Women's
Club. We were discussing how we could keep the neighborhood's growth
under control. After the meeting, I went to my apartment around the
corner, turned on the new "CSI - New York" program - and there, as a
member of the cast, was the lovely young woman who had sat in front of
me at that meeting.

Hope you take a look.

CaribeJoe - Moderator
Non-commercial My Caribbean.Info Forums
Free Caribbean Destination Directories
Free advice from Travel Writers
Post your own trip reports and photos
Hotel and Air Deals and Rough Guide Reports
http://www.mycaribbean.info
Old May 18th, 2004, 12:21 PM
Peter T. Daniels

wrote:

[...]

No, you can't. When's the last time you looked at the listings?

spacious 1 and 2 bedroom apartment in an older but good building for
under $1k per month.

The bus at my front door goes to Times Square in 30 minutes. Or, I can
walk to the Square and take a 10 minute subway ride to the Village and
reach Herald Square in about 15/20 minutes or the World Trade Center
in 10 minutes.

Come to our house tour next Sunday, May 23 and get to know our
neighborhood. It starts at Noon from the Jersey City Women's Club (a
nicely preserved 100 year old building).

Great. Just when I'll be flying back from Chicago. When's the next one?

Old May 18th, 2004, 02:16 PM

On Tue, 18 May 2004 11:21:34 GMT, "Peter T. Daniels"
wrote:

wrote:But you can still buy a first
class brownstone or a grand Victorian for under $200k or rent a

No, you can't. When's the last time you looked at the listings?

Peter, you and I live about 100 yards from each other. The acrtress
with whom I spoke at last night's neigborhood meeting meeting said she
and her husband bought their Bentley Ave brownstone for under 200k
only 6 months ago.

Come to our house tour next Sunday, May 23

Great. Just when I'll be flying back from Chicago. When's the next one?

Sorry you will miss it. It's an annual event. I know you would have
enjoyed it. This is the third year we've held it. Each year attendance
has grown exponentitally.

But use the contact info on the house tour web site

www.lincolnparktour.com

or on the web site for the Medical Center watchdog group:

www.landmarkjcmedicalcenter.org

and introuduce yourself. Most members are home owners and there is a
bit of a social life among the residents of the six block area between
Montgomery and Belmont. You probably would see many of the same homes
during a backyard picnic or a holiday party.

Old May 18th, 2004, 08:26 PM
Peter T. Daniels

wrote:

wrote:But you can still buy a first
class brownstone or a grand Victorian for under $200k or rent a

No, you can't. When's the last time you looked at the listings?

Peter, you and I live about 100 yards from each other. The acrtress
with whom I spoke at last night's neigborhood meeting meeting said she
and her husband bought their Bentley Ave brownstone for under 200k
only 6 months ago.

If you're in Spuyten Duyvil, why are you promoting JC?

I don't know where Bentley Ave is, but my house in the Heights (on a
half-width lot) was more than 25% more than that 5 days ago.

I was looking at the listings in February and March.

Come to our house tour next Sunday, May 23

Great. Just when I'll be flying back from Chicago. When's the next one?

Sorry you will miss it. It's an annual event. I know you would have
enjoyed it. This is the third year we've held it. Each year attendance
has grown exponentitally.

But use the contact info on the house tour web site

www.lincolnparktour.com

or on the web site for the Medical Center watchdog group:

www.landmarkjcmedicalcenter.org

and introuduce yourself. Most members are home owners and there is a
bit of a social life among the residents of the six block area between
Montgomery and Belmont. You probably would see many of the same homes
during a backyard picnic or a holiday party.

No idea where that is! But if it's near JSQ or the abandoned hospital
towers (whose look I like), it's not near me.
--
Peter T. Daniels
Old May 19th, 2004, 03:29 AM

On Tue, 18 May 2004 19:26:20 GMT, "Peter T. Daniels"
wrote:

If you're in Spuyten Duyvil, why are you promoting JC?

I have posted that I live south of Journal Square. I've identified the
location, in this thread, as the arpartment house on Kennedy Blvd
between Fairmount and Duncan - and even posted a link to a photo of
it. So I don't know whay you would think I live a few dozens miles
away in the middle of the East River.

So you are saying that you don't live a few hundred feet from the
intersection of Montgomery Street and Kenedy, in the next block from
me. I am wrong. I thought you lived there. Wonder what gave me that
idea.

I don't know where Bentley Ave is, but my house in the Heights (on a
half-width lot) was more than 25% more than that 5 days ago.

That the Heights, north of Journal Square. The original post to which
I responded rthere. It's one of the streets known locally as Doctor's
Row and the district called Silk Stocking.

Old May 19th, 2004, 03:42 PM
Richard T. Kus

wrote:

If you're in Spuyten Duyvil, why are you promoting JC?

I have posted that I live south of Journal Square. I've identified the
location, in this thread, as the arpartment house on Kennedy Blvd
between Fairmount and Duncan - and even posted a link to a photo of
it. So I don't know whay you would think I live a few dozens miles
away in the middle of the East River.

You said you're "a few hundred yards" from me. I'm in Spuyten Duyvil,
which is nowhere near the East River, but is the southern portion of
Riverdale, directly opposite the northern tip of Manhattan.

So you are saying that you don't live a few hundred feet from the
intersection of Montgomery Street and Kenedy, in the next block from
me. I am wrong. I thought you lived there. Wonder what gave me that
idea.

I know where Kennedy is, but not where Montgomery is.

Montgomery is parallel to columbus; one block south.

richk

I don't know where Bentley Ave is, but my house in the Heights (on a
half-width lot) was more than 25% more than that 5 days ago.

That the Heights, north of Journal Square. The original post to which
I responded rthere. It's one of the streets known locally as Doctor's
Row and the district called Silk Stocking.

Something's missing from that paragraph!
--
Peter T. Daniels