22" roll-aboards as carry-on

Old June 7th, 2005, 02:42 PM
spamfree

Default 22" roll-aboards as carry-on

According to most airlines, luggage sized at 9" x 14" x 22" is the
maximum size allowed for carry-on. Most airlines seem to have
luggage templates (Delta calls it Size Wise) that passengers can
drop their luggage into to see if the size is acceptable. European
airports often have a template just before the entrance to the
conveyor belt for the security check to prevent large luggage from
being brought on-board an aircraft. Most luggage makers sell a
wheeled bag sized exactly at 9" x 14" x 22" (Hartmann has one at
9" x 14.5" x 22"). I'd like to hear comments from owners of 22"
roll-aboards on whether their luggage fits through the templates
(please state the luggage manufacturer and airline for the template).

Pete

Old June 7th, 2005, 07:02 PM
Robert J Carpenter

"spamfree" wrote in message
k.net...
According to most airlines, luggage sized at 9" x 14" x 22" is the
maximum size allowed for carry-on. Most airlines seem to have
luggage templates (Delta calls it Size Wise) that passengers can
drop their luggage into to see if the size is acceptable. European
airports often have a template just before the entrance to the
conveyor belt for the security check to prevent large luggage from
being brought on-board an aircraft. Most luggage makers sell a
wheeled bag sized exactly at 9" x 14" x 22" (Hartmann has one at
9" x 14.5" x 22"). I'd like to hear comments from owners of 22"
roll-aboards on whether their luggage fits through the templates
(please state the luggage manufacturer and airline for the

template).

I seen roll-ons MUCH larger than the above numbers on American
Airlines 757 flights to and within the Caribbean. I know my wheelie
just meets the specs and people are carrying-on bags of twice that
volume.

Old June 7th, 2005, 11:43 PM
Timothy J. Lee

In article t,
spamfree wrote:
I'd like to hear comments from owners of 22"
roll-aboards on whether their luggage fits through the templates
(please state the luggage manufacturer and airline for the template).

Regardless of the templates, different airplanes on the same airline
may have different size under-seat and overhead spaces. For example,
some airplanes' window seats do not have enough room for a rollaboard
that fits in the airline's template, due to the curvature of the
fuselage.

Timothy J. Lee
Old June 12th, 2005, 12:16 PM
mag3

On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 13:42:42 GMT, "spamfree" wrote:

According to most airlines, luggage sized at 9" x 14" x 22" is the
maximum size allowed for carry-on. Most airlines seem to have
luggage templates (Delta calls it Size Wise) that passengers can
drop their luggage into to see if the size is acceptable.

[SNIP]
I'd like to hear comments from owners of 22"
roll-aboards on whether their luggage fits through the templates
(please state the luggage manufacturer and airline for the template).

Mostly, for me it's a CO 777-200 (which provides more than adequate space in the
overheads), and a Samsonite 22" hard rollaboard, similar to the one the FA's
use.

The problem with that is that some countries have different rules. Australia for
one, where the maximum length dimension is 20" not 22". So even if all you did
was fly CO going in and then going out, you might get an evil eye from the check
in and/or gate reps, as I did. And God help you if you fly domestic in OZ. You
won't get near a gate ramp with your 22" rollaboard. I had to take everything
out of mine, put it in plastic bags and let the rollaboard be checked empty!!!

I'm flying on an A340-300 out of JFK this summer so we'll see what that brings.

Regards,

Arnold

(formerly )
Old June 12th, 2005, 04:00 PM
Tchiowa

mag3 wrote:
On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 13:42:42 GMT, "spamfree" wrote:

According to most airlines, luggage sized at 9" x 14" x 22" is the
maximum size allowed for carry-on. Most airlines seem to have
luggage templates (Delta calls it Size Wise) that passengers can
drop their luggage into to see if the size is acceptable.

[SNIP]
I'd like to hear comments from owners of 22"
roll-aboards on whether their luggage fits through the templates
(please state the luggage manufacturer and airline for the template).

Mostly, for me it's a CO 777-200 (which provides more than adequate space in the
overheads), and a Samsonite 22" hard rollaboard, similar to the one the FA's
use.

The problem with that is that some countries have different rules. Australia for
one, where the maximum length dimension is 20" not 22".

While you're at it, don't forget the laws about CHECKED luggage in
Australia. There is a weight limit. I recall standing in line to check
in at the Cairns airport. There was a German family in front of me
heading home from vacation. A couple of their bags were over the weight
limit. They had to go buy new bags from an airport shop and repack or
the counter person wouldn't allow them to check them in.

Old June 12th, 2005, 11:00 PM
glenn P

That's not quite correct. Airlines in Australia will charge excess baggage
over your allowance (economy) of 20kg. It would seem the family didn't want
to pay the charge, and looked for a cheaper way out.

From the horse's mouth:

"Baggage Allowances
Restrictions apply to baggage on all airlines. If you have baggage that is
in excess of the free allowance, you will be liable for charges. "

Not refused to be checked in.....

"Tchiowa" wrote in message
oups.com...

Old June 12th, 2005, 11:31 PM
Maxx.

"Tchiowa" wrote in message
oups.com...

mag3 wrote:
[...]

Some of that crap really scalds my ass. I have two check ins. Last
flight to Montreal on American. My tool box was one pound over,
and my personal suitcase was ten pounds under. The ticket agent
asked me to remove a pound and put it in the other case. She was
surprised when I started to laugh. Both cases are going on the plane!
Does transferring *one* freaking pound change the total weight!? She
smiled & said "I don't see anything", and passed them through.

Old June 13th, 2005, 12:30 AM
Alan Street

In article , glenn P
wrote:

€ That's not quite correct. Airlines in Australia will charge excess baggage
€ over your allowance (economy) of 20kg. It would seem the family didn't want
€ to pay the charge, and looked for a cheaper way out.

No. Individual pieces of baggage are limited to 32 kg by Australian law.

"1 For travel on flights operated or handled1 by Qantas, Aer Lingus,
British Airways, Cathay Pacific or Finnair no single piece may weigh
more than 32kg (70lbs). Additionally due to specific country laws, all
flights into Australia, Bahrain, New Zealand, Sri Lanka will have no
single piece weighing more than 32kg (70lbs). Passengers presenting
pieces of baggage weighing more than 32kg (70lbs) will be asked to
re-pack the baggage into units weighing 32kg (70lbs) or less."

http://www.oneworldalliance.com/part...gagepolicy.cfm

€ From the horse's mouth:

€ "Baggage Allowances
€ Restrictions apply to baggage on all airlines. If you have baggage that is
€ in excess of the free allowance, you will be liable for charges. "

€ Not refused to be checked in.....

€ "Tchiowa" wrote in message
€ oups.com...

€ mag3 wrote:
€ On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 13:42:42 GMT, "spamfree" wrote:

€ According to most airlines, luggage sized at 9" x 14" x 22" is the
€ maximum size allowed for carry-on. Most airlines seem to have
€ luggage templates (Delta calls it Size Wise) that passengers can
€ drop their luggage into to see if the size is acceptable.
€ [SNIP]

Old June 13th, 2005, 12:32 AM
Alan Street

In article , Maxx.
wrote:

€ "Tchiowa" wrote in message
€ oups.com...

[...]

The law was implemented to protect baggage handlers from lifting
luggage that is over 70lbs. Frankly, it doesn't sound like such a bad
idea.
Old June 13th, 2005, 01:20 AM
Maxx.

"Alan Street" wrote in message
In article , Maxx.
wrote:

? "Tchiowa" wrote in message
? oups.com...
?

[...]

100% agreed. *But* - 1 or 2 lbs? I *Know* my box weighs 69 lbs.
and I keep it there to avoid the 70+ charge. The ticket
counter scales are not nearly calibrated as often as the scales
which I use. People have to use a little discression too.