Oslo again: best guidebook?

Old February 7th, 2006, 08:09 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Default Oslo again: best guidebook?

Some good people on this NG helped me with travel TO Oslo --- but I
have to buy a guidebook for the city, and I cannot get to a big enough
bookshop to comparison-shop!

Any successes or failures with the standard guidebooks?

We are especially interested in the historica'archaeological/cultural
aspects, but are not going to be driving ourselves. Guidebook
recommendations?

Old February 8th, 2006, 02:34 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

" writes:

Some good people on this NG helped me with travel TO Oslo --- but I
have to buy a guidebook for the city, and I cannot get to a big enough
bookshop to comparison-shop!

Any successes or failures with the standard guidebooks?

Well, since no one else seems to have responded...

We are especially interested in the historica'archaeological/cultural
aspects, but are not going to be driving ourselves. Guidebook
recommendations?

My personal experience as of five (5) years ago was that my Lonely
Planet - that Planet of Loneliness! - was better than my travelling
companions Rough Guide for the glorious history and cultuals of Norway
as a whole, but presumably neither is going to compare to a Michelin
Green or a Baedecker if you are a serious, cardigan-wearing bore.

Des
Old February 8th, 2006, 05:06 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Des Small wrote:
"
Well, since no one else seems to have responded...

We are especially interested in the historica'archaeological/cultural
aspects, but are not going to be driving ourselves. Guidebook
recommendations?

My personal experience as of five (5) years ago was that my Lonely
Planet - that Planet of Loneliness! - was better than my travelling
companions Rough Guide for the glorious history and cultuals of Norway
as a whole, but presumably neither is going to compare to a Michelin
Green or a Baedecker if you are a serious, cardigan-wearing bore.

Des

*** Thank you, Des, Lonely Planet it is. Did I sound like a BORE?
The closest thing to a "cardie" I have is a heavyweight knit jacket
made by the Cowichan First Nation on Vancouver Island, rainproof and
bulletproof.

BTW, nor does Norway mean dullness to me; I'm visiting the homeland of
european dragbike champion Ronnie Aasen (329kph in 6.7 secs), and Stina
Berofsen, the world's quickest female speedway rider. Must be
something in the herrings-------.

Old February 8th, 2006, 05:09 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Oh, and World rally champion Petter Solberg, also known as "The Ego On
Studded Tires".

Old February 8th, 2006, 05:18 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

" writes:

Oh, and World rally champion Petter Solberg, also known as "The Ego On
Studded Tires".

Did you know that Finnish ski-hoppning wizz Janne "The Manne" Ahonen
is also a succesful drag racer? I bet he'd beat any of your precious
Norwegishes in a combination event, for sure.

Des
Old February 8th, 2006, 05:19 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

" writes:

*** Thank you, Des, Lonely Planet it is. Did I sound like a BORE?
The closest thing to a "cardie" I have is a heavyweight knit jacket
made by the Cowichan First Nation on Vancouver Island, rainproof and
bulletproof.

BTW, nor does Norway mean dullness to me; I'm visiting the homeland of
european dragbike champion Ronnie Aasen (329kph in 6.7 secs), and Stina
Berofsen, the world's quickest female speedway rider. Must be
something in the herrings-------.

Oh I see: you're more of an anorak. Good idea, especially if you go
anywhere near Bergen.

Des
Old February 8th, 2006, 05:56 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

"Des Small" kirjoitti
. ..
" writes:

Oh, and World rally champion Petter Solberg, also known as "The Ego On
Studded Tires".

Did you know that Finnish ski-hoppning wizz Janne "The Manne" Ahonen
is also a succesful drag racer? I bet he'd beat any of your precious
Norwegishes in a combination event, for sure.

As far as motorsports is concerned, Norwegian efforts are rather slim.

Old February 8th, 2006, 06:34 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Mister B., who says I'm not at work, swimming in Google images!