Help: Going to Hong Kong

Old September 10th, 2003, 09:29 PM
Wanderer

Default Help: Going to Hong Kong

I am going to Hong Kong on the weekend of 5th October. I wanted to get
some info about

- Cheap (but safe) places to stay
- Best way to commute (Comfortable and affordable)
- Sights and places that are a must see
- Things to take back from Hong Kong as souvenirs (Something really
symbolic of HK)
- And best places to shop and if haggling is the norm
- Any suggestions if buy electronics in HK is a good idea (Laptop) and
if it is considerably cheaper than in the US

Would really appreciate all the help I could get.

Cheers!
Old September 10th, 2003, 10:43 PM
Peter L

Default Going to Hong Kong

"Wanderer" wrote in message
om...
I am going to Hong Kong on the weekend of 5th October. I wanted to get
some info about

- Cheap (but safe) places to stay
- Best way to commute (Comfortable and affordable)

When you get out of customs, buy an "Octopus" pass, which would allow you to
ride subways, buses, minibuses, and even some taxis. Subways are your best
bet, they are fast clean and efficient. But you don't get to see any
sights. Buses are great for sightseeing.

- Sights and places that are a must see

Must see? Victoria Peak, the Great Buddha, Star Ferry, Hong Kong Bird Park
and Botanic Garden, Temple Street Night Market, etc.

- Things to take back from Hong Kong as souvenirs (Something really
symbolic of HK)

A face mask.

- And best places to shop and if haggling is the norm

Stanley.

Old September 11th, 2003, 05:35 AM
Miguel Cruz

Wanderer wrote:
- Any suggestions if buy electronics in HK is a good idea (Laptop) and
if it is considerably cheaper than in the US

Highly unlikely. The US is in general the cheapest place to buy electronics
(there are occasional exceptions but not many).

miguel
Old September 11th, 2003, 01:19 PM
Doug T

Place to stay that is great and central =
http://www.ymcahk.org.hk/general_new_e/

MTR buy a travelers pass which is good for something like 3 days and lets
you ride any public transport (which is what every traveler does there,
unless you are loaded). Make sure you pay the extra and get the train
service out of the airport, it is really nice.

I did not find anything cheaper in HK as far as expensive electronics and
then you may have a problem with warranty service if you buy over there too.

Doug

om...

Old September 11th, 2003, 01:21 PM
Doug T

A good thing to buy there is luggage (very cheap), take some old stuff there
and bring some nice new stuff home.

om...

Old September 11th, 2003, 04:14 PM
Spehro Pefhany

On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 12:19:51 GMT, the renowned "Doug T"
wrote:

Place to stay that is great and central =
http://www.ymcahk.org.hk/general_new_e/

MTR buy a travelers pass which is good for something like 3 days and lets
you ride any public transport (which is what every traveler does there,
unless you are loaded). Make sure you pay the extra and get the train
service out of the airport, it is really nice.

Or take the Airbus, a lot cheaper and more end points.. though the
train is nice. Cabs can be useful in some situations, especially
outside the main tourist areas or late at night- they are relatively
cheap in HK.

I did not find anything cheaper in HK as far as expensive electronics and
then you may have a problem with warranty service if you buy over there too.

Not much is cheaper in HK these days. Small computer stuff ($50) at
Golden in Sham Sui Po can be a bargain.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Old September 13th, 2003, 02:53 AM