Vienna Dubrovnik

Old September 18th, 2012, 12:55 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Ken Blake[_2_]

Default Vienna Dubrovnik

If it doesn't cost a fortune, I may need transportation from Vienna to
Dubrovnik next May 10.

I've looked for flights and they are expensive. Does anyone know of a
cheap airline that would make sense for me, or an alternative
(train?)? What would it cost?

--
Ken Blake
Old September 18th, 2012, 02:05 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Jack Campin

If it doesn't cost a fortune, I may need transportation from Vienna to
Dubrovnik next May 10.

I've looked for flights and they are expensive. Does anyone know of a
cheap airline that would make sense for me, or an alternative
(train?)? What would it cost?

Fly to Split and get a bus?

Old September 18th, 2012, 11:01 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne[_2_]

Jack Campin wrote:

If it doesn't cost a fortune, I may need transportation from Vienna to
Dubrovnik next May 10.

I've looked for flights and they are expensive. Does anyone know of a
cheap airline that would make sense for me, or an alternative
(train?)? What would it cost?

Fly to Split and get a bus?

Isn't any cheaper according to skyscanner- tried from Bratislava too...

David

--
(*) of the royal duchy of city south and deansgate
www.davidhorne.net (email address on website)
Old September 18th, 2012, 01:58 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tom P[_6_]

On 09/18/2012 01:55 AM, Ken Blake wrote:
If it doesn't cost a fortune, I may need transportation from Vienna to
Dubrovnik next May 10.

I've looked for flights and they are expensive. Does anyone know of a
cheap airline that would make sense for me, or an alternative
(train?)? What would it cost?

Eurolines bus? They have a station in Vienna near the train station. I
just looked at their schedule, they have a lot of destinations in
ex-Yugoslavia, I couldn't see Dubrovnik but they have Split and Mostar.
Personal note: some years back I was in Vienna and thought about
taking the bus to Bratislava, but after having seen the weirdos hanging
round the bus station I dropped the plan.

Old September 18th, 2012, 02:13 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Jesper Lauridsen[_1_]

On Mon, 17 Sep 2012 16:55:35 -0700, Ken Blake
wrote:
I've looked for flights and they are expensive. Does anyone know of

cheap airline that would make sense for me, or an alternative
(train?)? What would it cost?

Train seems hopeless. Vienna - Mostar is 15 hours, and still leaves
you short of the target.

The respective national carriers fly the route. Sample dates suggests
300 euro return. Only low cost carrier at Dubrovnik is EasyJet from
Gatwick, which is a bit of a detour.
Old September 18th, 2012, 03:13 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Ken Blake[_2_]

wrote:
I've looked for flights and they are expensive. Does anyone know of

cheap airline that would make sense for me, or an alternative
(train?)? What would it cost?

Train seems hopeless. Vienna - Mostar is 15 hours, and still leaves
you short of the target.

The respective national carriers fly the route. Sample dates suggests
300 euro return. Only low cost carrier at Dubrovnik is EasyJet from
Gatwick, which is a bit of a detour.

Thanks to you and the others who replied. It looks like I won't be
able to do this, and will have to change my plans.

--
Ken Blake
Old September 19th, 2012, 12:09 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Jack Campin

Personal note: some years back I was in Vienna and thought about
taking the bus to Bratislava, but after having seen the weirdos
hanging round the bus station I dropped the plan.

Vienna bus station is quite extraordinarily disgusting for a First
World country. (I went through it getting the bus from London to
Budapest and back a few years ago). But you shouldn't have to hang
around in it long and I think Bratislava is better. Every bus station
I've been to in Croatia or Bosnia is a *lot* better, so once you get
out of Austria you should be fine.

Problem with Eurolines buses. The one I got was heading for Kosice;
I changed for one that had come from, I think, Paris, and was going
to Budapest. The Kosice bus emptied its toilet tank for the first
and last time on the trip at Dover. It was full again somewhere in
Germany making the toilet unusable, and they had very few stops from
then on. The Budapest bus was in a similar state by the time I got
on it, and again had bugger-all stops.

There are frequent and good bus services between Split and Dubrovnik.
Be warned that Dubrovnik bus station is some way out of town, in Gruz;
unless you're staying near there you'll need to use local transport.

Old September 19th, 2012, 03:45 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Erilar

Ken Blake wrote:
If it doesn't cost a fortune, I may need transportation from Vienna to
Dubrovnik next May 10.

I've looked for flights and they are expensive. Does anyone know of a
cheap airline that would make sense for me, or an alternative
(train?)? What would it cost?

Why fly? Is a train journey that much longer over all?

--
Erilar, biblioholic medievalist with iPad
Old September 19th, 2012, 05:15 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Giovanni Drogo

On Wed, 19 Sep 2012, Erilar wrote:

Why fly? Is a train journey that much longer over all?

Apparently yes ... consult wikipedia about croatian railways ...