Transportion to Arles

Old September 29th, 2012, 01:47 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Paul Aubrin

Default Transportion to Arles

On Tue, 25 Sep 2012 11:37:00 -0700, Ken Blake wrote:

In October of 2013, my wife and I will need to get to Arles. We will fly
from the US, probably to Marseilles (is that the closest international
airport?) and then need some transportation to Arles, where we will
board a river cruise ship.

So can sometime tell me what our choices are to get from Marseilles to
Arles? Train? Bus? Taxi (probably much too expensive), approximately how
much they would cost, and something about the schedules of buses or
trains? Or if you point me to web sites with that information, that
would also be great.

Thanks.

There are direct trains from CDG to Avignon.

You can catch the 9H58 train at Roissy TGV station, change train in
Avignon at 13H10 (1H10pm) and reach Arles at 14H20 (2H20pm). 66 EUR.

Select Départ "Aéroport Paris - Roissy - Charles-de-Gaulle (CDG 2) - Gare
TGV" Arrivée: Arles.
http://www.voyages-sncf.com

Old September 29th, 2012, 03:59 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Ken Blake[_2_]

On 29 Sep 2012 12:47:26 GMT, Paul Aubrin wrote:

[...]

Yes, but why would I want to take a 4+ hour train ride for 66 Euro
when I can go much more quickly from Marseilles for much less money?

--
Ken Blake
Old September 29th, 2012, 04:39 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Paul Aubrin

On Sat, 29 Sep 2012 07:59:25 -0700, Ken Blake wrote:

Yes, but why would I want to take a 4+ hour train ride for 66 Euro when
I can go much more quickly from Marseilles for much less money?

Because it is simpler and probably the quickest solution.

From Marseille Airport to Marseille Saint-Charles train station, you need
to take a bus (very 20mn, 1/2H, 8EUR) and then a local train (every hour,
0H50-1H10, 15.60EUR).

http://www.marseille-airport.com/acc.../shuttle-buses

Old September 29th, 2012, 07:12 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
[email protected]

On Sep 29, 5:47*am, Paul Aubrin wrote:
You can catch the 9H58 train at Roissy TGV station, change train in
Avignon at 13H10 (1H10pm) and reach Arles at 14H20 (2H20pm). 66 EUR.

Select Départ "Aéroport Paris - Roissy - Charles-de-Gaulle (CDG 2) - Gare
TGV" Arrivée: Arles.http://www.voyages-sncf.com

When I did this many years ago, the connection between the Avignonn
TGV station and Arles was an infrequent bus (operated by SNCF). I
remember waiting for that bus for more than an hour (possibly 2-3),
but maybe things have improed since then. Still, I think the best way
for most North Americans to get to Arles is by SNCF from CDG.

Back in those days, the SNCF web site nominally did not serve North
Americans (probably out of deference to RailEurope), but you could
call the English language SNCF ticket agent who would take good care
of you.
Old September 30th, 2012, 05:00 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
poldy

In article ,
Martin wrote:

On 29 Sep 2012 15:39:45 GMT, Paul Aubrin wrote:

On Sat, 29 Sep 2012 07:59:25 -0700, Ken Blake wrote:

Yes, but why would I want to take a 4+ hour train ride for 66 Euro when
I can go much more quickly from Marseilles for much less money?

Because it is simpler and probably the quickest solution.

From Marseille Airport to Marseille Saint-Charles train station, you need
to take a bus (very 20mn, 1/2H, 8EUR) and then a local train (every hour,
0H50-1H10, 15.60EUR).

http://www.marseille-airport.com/acc.../shuttle-buses

Is it possible to get to Lyon or Marseilles with Air France or KLM for
the same fare as to Amsterdam or Paris?

That's the key question, though most flights from US are probably going
to connect through CDG.
Old September 30th, 2012, 03:06 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Ken Blake[_2_]

On Sat, 29 Sep 2012 21:00:51 -0700, poldy wrote:

In article ,
Martin wrote:

On 29 Sep 2012 15:39:45 GMT, Paul Aubrin wrote:

On Sat, 29 Sep 2012 07:59:25 -0700, Ken Blake wrote:

Yes, but why would I want to take a 4+ hour train ride for 66 Euro when
I can go much more quickly from Marseilles for much less money?

Because it is simpler and probably the quickest solution.

From Marseille Airport to Marseille Saint-Charles train station, you need
to take a bus (very 20mn, 1/2H, 8EUR) and then a local train (every hour,
0H50-1H10, 15.60EUR).

http://www.marseille-airport.com/acc.../shuttle-buses

Is it possible to get to Lyon or Marseilles with Air France or KLM for
the same fare as to Amsterdam or Paris?

That's the key question, though most flights from US are probably going
to connect through CDG.

I'll be flying American Airlines, with AAdvantage miles.

All the American Airlines flights either go through Heathrow (and
change to British Air) or through Madrid (and change to Iberia
Airlines).

--
Ken Blake
Old September 30th, 2012, 09:02 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Paul Aubrin

On Sun, 30 Sep 2012 07:06:19 -0700, Ken Blake wrote:

On Sat, 29 Sep 2012 21:00:51 -0700, poldy wrote:

[...]

I'll be flying American Airlines, with AAdvantage miles.

All the American Airlines flights either go through Heathrow (and change
to British Air) or through Madrid (and change to Iberia Airlines).

The trains to Arles stop at Vitrolles Airport train station. Airport
shuttle leaves 1Omn before platform nb 2.

http://www.arlestourisme.com/from-marseille.html

06h16 Gare "Vitrolles Aéroport"
06h57 Arles ( Gare SNCF )
Train (876510)
Durée : 00h41
Prix : 11,9 €

Départ Navette Airport Train 10mn avant (quai n°2)

06h40 Gare "Vitrolles Aéroport"

07h25 Arles ( Gare SNCF )

Train (879504)

Durée : 00h45

Prix : 11,9 €

Départ Navette Airport Train 10mn avant (quai n°2)

07h22 Gare "Vitrolles Aéroport"

07h57 Arles ( Gare SNCF )

Train (17706)

Durée : 00h35

Prix : 11,9 €

Départ Navette Airport Train 10mn avant (quai n°2)

07h28 Gare "Vitrolles Aéroport"

08h09 Arles ( Gare SNCF )

Train (876512)

Durée : 00h41

Prix : 11,9 €

Départ Navette Airport Train 10mn avant (quai n°2)

08h40 Gare "Vitrolles Aéroport"

09h25 Arles ( Gare SNCF )

Train (879508)

Durée : 00h45

Prix : 11,9 €

Départ Navette Airport Train 10mn avant (quai n°2)

09h22 Gare "Vitrolles Aéroport"

09h57 Arles ( Gare SNCF )

Train (17704)

Durée : 00h35

Prix : 11,9 €
Old September 30th, 2012, 09:12 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Paul Aubrin

On Sun, 30 Sep 2012 07:06:19 -0700, Ken Blake wrote:

On Sat, 29 Sep 2012 21:00:51 -0700, poldy wrote:

[texte cité caché]

I'll be flying American Airlines, with AAdvantage miles.

All the American Airlines flights either go through Heathrow (and change
to British Air) or through Madrid (and change to Iberia Airlines).

The schedule is available on www.voyages-sncf.com (Vitrolles aeroport - Arles).
Or he
http://www.marseille-airport.com/acc...rain-or-by-bus
Old September 30th, 2012, 09:15 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Paul Aubrin

Martin wrote:

On 29 Sep 2012 15:39:45 GMT, Paul Aubrin wrote:

On Sat, 29 Sep 2012 07:59:25 -0700, Ken Blake wrote:

Yes, but why would I want to take a 4+ hour train ride for 66 Euro when
I can go much more quickly from Marseilles for much less money?

Because it is simpler and probably the quickest solution.

From Marseille Airport to Marseille Saint-Charles train station, you need
to take a bus (very 20mn, 1/2H, 8EUR) and then a local train (every hour,
0H50-1H10, 15.60EUR).

http://www.marseille-airport.com/acc.../shuttle-buses

Is it possible to get to Lyon or Marseilles with Air France or KLM for
the same fare as to Amsterdam or Paris?

That's the key question, though most flights from US are probably going
to connect through CDG.

I'll be flying American Airlines, with AAdvantage miles.

All the American Airlines flights either go through Heathrow (and
change to British Air) or through Madrid (and change to Iberia
Airlines).

Access map to shuttles:

http://www.marseille-airport.com/acc.../access/trains
Old October 1st, 2012, 12:38 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Ken Blake[_2_]

Martin wrote:

On 29 Sep 2012 15:39:45 GMT, Paul Aubrin wrote:

On Sat, 29 Sep 2012 07:59:25 -0700, Ken Blake wrote:

Yes, but why would I want to take a 4+ hour train ride for 66 Euro when
I can go much more quickly from Marseilles for much less money?

Because it is simpler and probably the quickest solution.

From Marseille Airport to Marseille Saint-Charles train station, you need
to take a bus (very 20mn, 1/2H, 8EUR) and then a local train (every hour,
0H50-1H10, 15.60EUR).

http://www.marseille-airport.com/acc.../shuttle-buses

Is it possible to get to Lyon or Marseilles with Air France or KLM for
the same fare as to Amsterdam or Paris?

That's the key question, though most flights from US are probably going
to connect through CDG.

I'll be flying American Airlines, with AAdvantage miles.

All the American Airlines flights either go through Heathrow (and
change to British Air) or through Madrid (and change to Iberia
Airlines).

Access map to shuttles:

http://www.marseille-airport.com/acc.../access/trains

It now looks like we won't want the train from Marseille to Arles
immediately after landing at MRS airport. We'll probably spend two or
three days in Marseille before we take the train.

--
Ken Blake