Travelling w/ Gifts from Canada to the US

Old December 23rd, 2007, 05:33 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

Default Travelling w/ Gifts from Canada to the US

Hi,

I will be travelling to the US with X-mas Gifts for my family. Some
of the family live in the US while others live in Canada, so some of
the gifts will remain in the US while the others will return back
across the border.

What are the exemptions for Gifts and if the value is exceeds, will
there be dual duties on Entry & Exit?

Thanks,

Steve
Old December 23rd, 2007, 09:23 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
medvall

Here is the Canadian customs declaration: http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/E/pbg/cf/...311-07-09e.pdf

Here is the US one: http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/va...ation_form.xml

It seems that the best approach is for the US side of the family to
give each other gifts, and equal for the Canadian side. So make sure
to only give your gifts to members of the same country.

Another good approach is to hand out the packages randomly and not
allow anyone to open until they get home. Then it's more fun for
customs too since it's a 50/50 that the gift is from another country,
plus the recipient has to call all the givers to find out who it was.

Best wishes and good luck, Marcus
Tomlab Optimization Inc.
http://tomopt.com/
Old December 24th, 2007, 10:12 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Binyamin Dissen

On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 20:33:42 -0800 (PST) wrote:

:I will be travelling to the US with X-mas Gifts for my family. Some
:of the family live in the US while others live in Canada, so some of
:the gifts will remain in the US while the others will return back
:across the border.

:What are the exemptions for Gifts and if the value is exceeds, will
:there be dual duties on Entry & Exit?

There is no customs tax on objects that you will be departing with. Only
things that you will be leaving in the US.

Or do I misunderstand your question?

--
Binyamin Dissen
http://www.dissensoftware.com