Car rental charges

Old March 20th, 2007, 03:21 PM posted to misc.consumers,rec.travel.usa-canada
rick++

Default Car rental charges

Yes, cities have found tourists a font of revenue.
Many places tax hotels 20%.
Rental car taxes fees approach 100% on bargain
compact cars.

Old March 20th, 2007, 03:28 PM posted to misc.consumers,rec.travel.usa-canada
Jochen Kriegerowski

"Rog'" schrieb

Usually, sales tax is tacked on (unlike the "VAT included" price)

Yeah, ok. That's what always bothers me in some countries. Here
you pay what the price tag says and nothing else.

Caveat emptor anytime you see an absurdly low rate compared
to others.

Of course I do ;-) But only when I book a car abroad. My local
rental agency has no extra charges whatsoever, have my data in their
computer, and I only swipe my 'CarExpress' card through the reader
at the self-service terminal to get the car key and documents. Life
can be so easy...

Jochen from Potsdam
Old March 20th, 2007, 05:28 PM posted to misc.consumers,rec.travel.usa-canada
PeterL

On Mar 19, 5:52 pm, "Rog'" wrote:
Steve wrote:
Seems like things are getting outta hand.
Is this like the phony fees
on telephone company invoices?

If pressed, the company can show you that those fees
do cover actual expenses incurred by the company for
such things as using space at the airport and local taxes.
Better to squeeze hapless travellers than local citizenry.
Rental companies like to quote you al fee of $10.00,
use that to add up the fees, and then bill you $100.00.
=R=

But the rental companies don't get those taxes and fees.

Old March 20th, 2007, 05:30 PM posted to misc.consumers,rec.travel.usa-canada
PeterL

On Mar 19, 7:08 pm, Kent Wills wrote:
As I understand it, on Mon, 19 Mar 2007 16:37:55 -0800, Steve

wrote:
Just arranged a car rental, cost $223 plus these incidental charges
for a total of $302 -

30.00 customer facility charge

???

Just guessing, but this could be a city or county charge for using a
facility such as something close to the airport.

24.71 concession recovery fee

???

Again, another local government levied fee.

15.77 gvt service fee

Could be a tax.

14.00 tax recoupment

A tax for collecting the other taxes?

9.53 license recovery surcharge

Did you misplace your license? :-)

4.76 county car rental fee

Most probably a county tax.

Seems like things are getting outta hand. Is this like the phony fees
on telephone company invoices?

A few look like taxes. The others... I haven't a clue.

--
Kent
Recuerdo del Fin Del Mundo!

Old March 20th, 2007, 05:52 PM posted to misc.consumers,rec.travel.usa-canada
James Silverton

rick++ wrote on 20 Mar 2007 08:21:54 -0700:

r Yes, cities have found tourists a font of revenue.
r Many places tax hotels 20%.
r Rental car taxes fees approach 100% on bargain
r compact cars.

It's a funny thing isn't it to tax people who do not vote? One
of the great slogans of the Revolution was "No taxation without
representation!"

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.not

Old March 20th, 2007, 06:13 PM posted to misc.consumers,rec.travel.usa-canada
DevilsPGD

In message .com
"PeterL" wrote:

On Mar 19, 5:52 pm, "Rog'" wrote:
Steve wrote:
Seems like things are getting outta hand.
Is this like the phony fees
on telephone company invoices?

If pressed, the company can show you that those fees
do cover actual expenses incurred by the company for
such things as using space at the airport and local taxes.
Better to squeeze hapless travellers than local citizenry.
Rental companies like to quote you al fee of $10.00,
use that to add up the fees, and then bill you $100.00.
=R=

But the rental companies don't get those taxes and fees.

So?

I don't care who gets the money, all I care about it how much less money
I will have afterward.
--
Insert something clever here.
Old March 20th, 2007, 10:14 PM posted to misc.consumers,rec.travel.usa-canada
TheNewsGuy(Mike)

Dave wrote:

wrote in message
In article LmGLh.10421$B7.5327@bigfe9,
says...
"Dave" wrote:
What ****es me off about car rental places is that they
always ask you if you want "STANDARD" insurance
coverage or something else (forget what they call it, and
it varies by company anyway). The catch is... snip

It like when you order a combo-meal at a fast-food joint
and they ask if you want curly fries instead of regular, or
a medium drink, without telling you that either is an extra
$ .25 (but at least you get somethig for your money). =R=

No, I would automatically expect that the offered option would
place another line-item on the bill.

Awww, but the car rental salesmen use language that is deliberately
misleading ... "standard" usually implies "included, at no extra cost".
So they ask you if you want "standard" insurance or something else even
more expensive. It's very under-handed, IMHO. I wonder how many people
they catch with that trick? -Dave

Last year I rented a car from FOX in LA. We contracted for a "compact
car". When we got there they asked if we wanted to upgrade to a full
size car and said it would be much better for our trip. I declined and
they then handed us the keys. When we got to the car in the parking lot
it WAS a full sized as they had run out of compacts. So they would have
charged us the extra if we had said, "yes". Nice, eh?

--
Seinfeld Lists
http://tinyurl.com/f7k9d
Old March 20th, 2007, 10:39 PM posted to misc.consumers,rec.travel.usa-canada
The Etobian[_2_]

On Tue, 20 Mar 2007 13:52:28 -0400, "James Silverton"
not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.not wrote:

rick++ wrote on 20 Mar 2007 08:21:54 -0700:

r Yes, cities have found tourists a font of revenue.
r Many places tax hotels 20%.
r Rental car taxes fees approach 100% on bargain
r compact cars.

It's a funny thing isn't it to tax people who do not vote? One
of the great slogans of the Revolution was "No taxation without
representation!"

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.not

I guess you've never lived in one state while working in another.
Old March 20th, 2007, 11:04 PM posted to misc.consumers,rec.travel.usa-canada
sechumlib

On Tue, 20 Mar 2007 13:52:28 -0400, "James Silverton"
not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.not wrote:

It's a funny thing isn't it to tax people who do not vote? One of the
great slogans of the Revolution was "No taxation without
representation!"

You're trying to judge the present, infinitely complex worldwide
society with 18th century standards. Won't work.