Another reason to check CC statements

Old March 23rd, 2007, 09:25 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Rog'

Default Another reason to check CC statements

For those of us who local travel to neighborhood eateries, as well
as out of town: Apart from the who-sees-my-CC issue, I recently
experienced a duplicate charge. I tend to pay my CC statement
without question as long as I recognize the merchant, but this one
caught my eye. When I talked to the manager, he said, "This is
happening more with touch-screen systems. Its like when you hit
'confirm' 2x on an internet website." =R=

Old March 23rd, 2007, 10:42 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
DevilsPGD

In message "Rog'"
wrote:

For those of us who local travel to neighborhood eateries, as well
as out of town: Apart from the who-sees-my-CC issue, I recently
experienced a duplicate charge. I tend to pay my CC statement
without question as long as I recognize the merchant, but this one
caught my eye. When I talked to the manager, he said, "This is
happening more with touch-screen systems. Its like when you hit
'confirm' 2x on an internet website." =R=

Minor omission -- It happens when you hit confirm twice on a poorly
designed website.

It's not that challenging from a programming standpoint to avoid
duplicate charges by having the "Checkout" screen include a unique
serial number.

A simpler method is to simply display a confirmation along the lines of
"This transaction is identical to another transaction which occurred
within the last 15 minutes, do you wish to proceed?"
--
Insert something clever here.
Old March 24th, 2007, 03:45 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Rog'

"DevilsPGD" wrote:
It's not that challenging from a programming standpoint to avoid
duplicate charges... simply display a confirmation along the lines
of "This transaction is identical to another transaction which
occurred within the last 15 minutes, do you wish to proceed?"

IIRC, PizzaHut.com does this with online pizza orders to prevent
multiple pizza orders. Why don't the purveyors of restaurant POS
touch-screens so program their systems? Is a waiter assumed to
be /more/ intelligent? =R=

Old March 24th, 2007, 06:20 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Frank F. Matthews

Rog' wrote:

"DevilsPGD" wrote:

It's not that challenging from a programming standpoint to avoid
duplicate charges... simply display a confirmation along the lines
of "This transaction is identical to another transaction which
occurred within the last 15 minutes, do you wish to proceed?"

IIRC, PizzaHut.com does this with online pizza orders to prevent
multiple pizza orders. Why don't the purveyors of restaurant POS
touch-screens so program their systems? Is a waiter assumed to
be /more/ intelligent? =R=

In both cases intelligence will not help. A lack of time pressure might
but that would be viewed as working against 'efficiency'. Alas errors
rarely count against 'efficiency'.