Round the world...

Old July 27th, 2007, 02:50 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Marcus Fox

Default Round the world...

I'm putting a few ideas together, and haven't done any serious planning as
regards this yet. I'd like to start off in London, travel to Paris and
through Europe to Moscow, from there take the train to Vladivostock and onto
Beijing. From there fly to Seoul, and onwards to Sydney, via Tokyo and
Manila. Flight to Vancouver and overland to New York, and from there return
to London.

I know this is a group specifically targetted towards air travel, but it's
the one travel group that seems to have quite a bit of traffic and I've
lurked here for a while - if there's any group better I could ask this,
please point me there.

Mainly I was looking about where I'd go to look about planning this, and an
approximate estimate of the cost of travel and expenses. Plan on hostels
rather than hotels, I still have an ISIC card.

Many thanks,

Marcus

Old July 27th, 2007, 09:03 AM posted to rec.travel.air
KGB

On Fri, 27 Jul 2007 02:50:14 +0100, "Marcus Fox"
wrote:

I'm putting a few ideas together, and haven't done any serious planning as
regards this yet. I'd like to start off in London, travel to Paris and
through Europe to Moscow, from there take the train to Vladivostock and onto
Beijing. From there fly to Seoul, and onwards to Sydney, via Tokyo and
Manila. Flight to Vancouver and overland to New York, and from there return
to London.

SNIP

Hi Marcus

I could be wrong but I don't think it is possible to take the train
from Moscow to Beijing via Vladivostok without having to retrace your
route from Vlasivostok back to Ulan Ude - then South to Beijing from
there. There is no direct rail link from Vladivostok to Beijing

However, it is easy to take the train from Moscow to Beijing (omitting
Vladivostok) via Lake Baikal and Mongolia - a trip my wife and I did
in 2004. I can thoroughly recommend it and would love to do it again
some time. We stayed with a family by Lake Baikal and spent a few
nights out in the Mongolian desert in a yurt. The people who
organised our trip were "The Russia Experience" who I can recommend.

Try http://www.seat61.com/Trans-Siberian.htm for more info.

Whilst my wife and I flew back from Beijing to the UK, there were
quite a few other travellers continuing on round the World so your
plans certainly sound feasible.

Regards
KGB

Old July 27th, 2007, 02:13 PM posted to rec.travel.air
A Mate

Marcus - you're a lazy sod!

It's simple enough (but - time consuming) to research your proposed journey!

Why do you not do the hard yards?

Google away!

"Marcus Fox" wrote in
message ...

Old July 27th, 2007, 02:38 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Marcus Fox

"A Mate" wrote in message
u...
Marcus - you're a lazy sod!

It's simple enough (but - time consuming) to research your proposed

journey!

Why do you not do the hard yards?

I plan to - however I was hoping to hear from people who have more
experience than I to get an approximate budget for the trip first.

Marcus