Exchanging USD to JYE in Japan?

Old August 3rd, 2007, 07:30 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Rik Brown[_42_]

Default Exchanging USD to JYE in Japan?

Does anyone know typically about "what percent loss" one can expect when
exchanging US dollars in Japan to Japanese Yen at either a major city
bank (such as in Tokyo) or at one of the major airports (Narita or
Haneda)?

They want to take out about 6% for the transaction at the St. Louis
Airport (USA) bank which is pretty steep but I haven't done such an
exchange in a while.

ps: The reason I mention Haneda is that its just a few train stations
from our final destination and would be convenient to run over to if we
don't have the time at Narita.

--
Rik Brown
Message Origin: TRAVEL.com

Old August 3rd, 2007, 09:16 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
PeterL

On Aug 3, 11:30 am, Rik Brown Rik.Brown.2ur...@no-
mx.forums.travel.com wrote:
Does anyone know typically about "what percent loss" one can expect when
exchanging US dollars in Japan to Japanese Yen at either a major city
bank (such as in Tokyo) or at one of the major airports (Narita or
Haneda)?

They want to take out about 6% for the transaction at the St. Louis
Airport (USA) bank which is pretty steep but I haven't done such an
exchange in a while.

ps: The reason I mention Haneda is that its just a few train stations
from our final destination and would be convenient to run over to if we
don't have the time at Narita.

--
Rik Brown
Message Origin: TRAVEL.com

Can't you use your ATM card to take out cash in Japan?

Old August 3rd, 2007, 09:50 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
[email protected]

mx.forums.travel.com wrote:
Does anyone know typically about "what percent loss" one can expect when
exchanging US dollars in Japan to Japanese Yen at either a major city
bank (such as in Tokyo) or at one of the major airports (Narita or
Haneda)?

I have an ATM card for a checking account from Citibank. When I
arrive at NRT, I get some JP¥ at the Citibank ATM in the arrival lobby
(take a right turn after you leave the secured area). They seem to
charge about 1% (better than the exchange rate I get with my VISA
card). Also, there are Citibank branches in many of the major cities
in Japan.

Old August 4th, 2007, 02:11 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
A Mate

Can't you use your ATM card to take out cash in Japan?

The simple answer - not always, nor easily.

ATMs in Japan will generally only accept domestic cards. The exceptions -
the foreign bank ATMs and those of the Japanese Post Office (BUT - only
during the hours of opening of the Post Office).

Finding an ATM that takes foreign cards can be time-consuming and
frustrating!

Fortunately Japan runs a 'cash' society; and personal safety levels are very
high - so there is no real problem with carrying and using large cash sums.

ups.com...

Old August 4th, 2007, 08:57 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
Chris Blunt

On Sat, 4 Aug 2007 11:11:25 +1000, "A Mate"
wrote:

Can't you use your ATM card to take out cash in Japan?

The simple answer - not always, nor easily.

ATMs in Japan will generally only accept domestic cards. The exceptions -
the foreign bank ATMs and those of the Japanese Post Office (BUT - only
during the hours of opening of the Post Office).

Finding an ATM that takes foreign cards can be time-consuming and
frustrating!

I posted the following article on this forum a few weeks ago. Hope it
helps

Chris

ASIA Travel Tips .com, Thursday, 12 July 2007

Travellers to Japan will be pleased to learn that 12,000 Seven Bank
ATMs have been installed which, since Wednesday, 11 July, allow
international Visa cardholders to conduct cash withdrawals in yen.
Seven Bank has installed the ATMs primarily in Seven-Eleven and
Ito-Yokado stores throughout Japan. These ATMs offer service menus and
print receipts in English, Portuguese, Chinese, and Korean.

Most ATMs in Japan, aside from those of Japan Post, a few banks and
credit card companies, do not allow yen withdrawals to be made with
overseas-issued credit cards since these ATMs are based on
Japan-specific standards. As a result, many visitors for business or
leisure have found it difficult to make yen withdrawals in Japan with
their overseas-issued cards. This prompted calls by the tourism
industry for domestic ATMs to be reconfigured based on international
standards so that cards issued by foreign financial institutions can
be used more easily in Japan.

Visa International is also launching a new map search function on its
"Experience Tokyo with Visa" website called "ATM Locator". The service
pinpoints ATMs in Japan which accept overseas-issued Visa cards. By
typing in a train station name the ATM Locator will find nearby ATMs
where Visa cardholders can use their overseas-issued Visa cards. The
search then provides a map of the area surrounding the train station,
pinpointing the nearby Seven Bank and Japan Post ATMs. The search
function will be upgraded to show other ATMs near the specified train
station where cardholders can make yen withdrawals using Visa cards
issued overseas. This service is available in English and Japanese so
that English-speaking foreign visitors can locate ATMs themselves
using the English-language search function and hotel concierges and
others can, in response to requests from foreign visitors, locate ATMs
using the Japanese-language search function. This new map search
service will help make the stay of foreign visitors to Japan even more
convenient.

Fortunately Japan runs a 'cash' society; and personal safety levels are very
high - so there is no real problem with carrying and using large cash sums.

oups.com...

Old August 4th, 2007, 12:28 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Chris Kuan

"A Mate" wrote on Sat 04 Aug 2007 07:53:23p

"Chris Blunt" wrote in message

ASIA Travel Tips .com, Thursday, 12 July 2007

Travellers to Japan will be pleased to learn that 12,000 Seven Bank
ATMs have been installed which, since Wednesday, 11 July, allow
international Visa cardholders to conduct cash withdrawals in yen.
Seven Bank has installed the ATMs primarily in Seven-Eleven and
Ito-Yokado stores throughout Japan.

Visa International is also launching a new map search function on its
"Experience Tokyo with Visa" website called "ATM Locator".

Sounds great, Chris. Hope it works as intended.

The VISA website referred to above is he
http://www.visa-e-mailclub.com/visit...tm/index.phtml

It doesn't appear to find anything EXCEPT Post Office and 7-Eleven ATMs,
but that's still a big help :-) I must try the 7-11 ATMs with my
Australian-issued VISA card when I'm over there in 4 weeks' time. I've
tried a Post Office one before and it worked.

--
Chris
Concatenate for email: mrgazpacho @ hotmail . com
Old August 4th, 2007, 01:40 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Dave Fossett

Chris Kuan wrote:

The VISA website referred to above is he
http://www.visa-e-mailclub.com/visit...tm/index.phtml

It doesn't appear to find anything EXCEPT Post Office and 7-Eleven ATMs,
but that's still a big help :-) I must try the 7-11 ATMs with my
Australian-issued VISA card when I'm over there in 4 weeks' time. I've
tried a Post Office one before and it worked.

For anyone interested, the page below gives details of which cards can be
used at Post Office ATMs in Japan.
http://www.yu-cho.japanpost.jp/e_a0000000/aa210000.htm

--
Dave Fossett
Saitama, Japan

Old August 5th, 2007, 02:54 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Donald Newcomb

"A Mate" wrote in message
ATMs in Japan will generally only accept domestic cards. The exceptions -
the foreign bank ATMs and those of the Japanese Post Office (BUT - only
during the hours of opening of the Post Office).

Most Post Offices I've seen have a 24-hour public area where the ATMs are
located.

Finding an ATM that takes foreign cards can be time-consuming and
frustrating!

Very true, except for the Post Offices. The white T on red background is the
traveler's friend.

Fortunately Japan runs a 'cash' society; and personal safety levels are

very
high - so there is no real problem with carrying and using large cash

sums.

Right. I once paid for a soda with a 10,000 Yen note and the clerk didn't
even blink. Try buying a soda in the US with a $100 bill some time.

--
Donald R. Newcomb
DRNewcomb (at) attglobal (dot) net

Old August 5th, 2007, 03:11 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Dave Fossett

Donald Newcomb wrote:

ATMs in Japan will generally only accept domestic cards. The exceptions -
the foreign bank ATMs and those of the Japanese Post Office (BUT - only
during the hours of opening of the Post Office).

Most Post Offices I've seen have a 24-hour public area where the ATMs are
located.

I don't think there are any 24-hour ATMs at Post Offices. It depends on the
location, but they normally close around 6 pm. If you want to withdraw cash
at other times, you need to go to a convenience store.

--
Dave Fossett
Saitama, Japan