Passport stamped upon re-entry to the USA

Old October 31st, 2007, 08:54 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
jmccomb

Default Passport stamped upon re-entry to the USA

Can anyone help me? I need to know what the policy is or what the law is
regarding the stamping of a passport after re-entry to the USA after foreign
travel. Is it required? What happens if one is not stamped the next time
you try to travel?

TIA

Old October 31st, 2007, 09:49 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
PeterL

On Oct 31, 1:54 pm, "jmccomb" u38710@uwe wrote:
Can anyone help me? I need to know what the policy is or what the law is
regarding the stamping of a passport after re-entry to the USA after foreign
travel. Is it required? What happens if one is not stamped the next time
you try to travel?

TIA

US passport? They check it, but I don't think they stamp it. They do
pass it through the reader so maybe it's stored in their computer.

Old October 31st, 2007, 10:11 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
jmccomb

PeterL wrote:
Can anyone help me? I need to know what the policy is or what the law is
regarding the stamping of a passport after re-entry to the USA after foreign
travel. Is it required? What happens if one is not stamped the next time
you try to travel?

TIA

US passport? They check it, but I don't think they stamp it. They do
pass it through the reader so maybe it's stored in their computer.

Yes! US passport. I've had mine stamped upon returning to the US, but my
son didn't and now that he is about to start a job in Spain and because it
wasn't stamped it is causing a problem.

Old November 1st, 2007, 01:47 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Brian[_1_]

On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 22:11:26 GMT, "jmccomb" u38710@uwe wrote:

Yes! US passport. I've had mine stamped upon returning to the US, but my
son didn't and now that he is about to start a job in Spain and because it
wasn't stamped it is causing a problem.

What kind of problem?

Old November 1st, 2007, 03:09 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Rog'

"jmccomb" u38710@uwe wrote:
Yes! US passport. I've had mine stamped upon returning to the
US, but my son didn't and now that he is about to start a job in

Spain nd because it wasn't stamped it is causing a problem.
What kind of problem?

I'm guessing that he's trying to get a visa for work in Spain, but his
passport suggests that he never returned from his last foreign trip
and overstayed his visit? Can not his return to the States be
proved, otherwise?

Old November 1st, 2007, 03:51 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
medvall

I would expect 0 problems, but as always when you travel, eventually
you run into officials with no brain. They usually disappear after
spending some time on the issue.

If it's some comfort, I drove my car from San Diego to Panama with my
first passport page taped (from the inside) since the plastic was cut/
broken.

Best wishes, Marcus
Tomlab Optimization Inc.
http://tomopt.com/

Old November 1st, 2007, 06:48 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
AZ Nomad

On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 23:09:02 -0400, Rog' wrote:

"jmccomb" u38710@uwe wrote:
Yes! US passport. I've had mine stamped upon returning to the
US, but my son didn't and now that he is about to start a job in

Spain nd because it wasn't stamped it is causing a problem.
What kind of problem?

I'm guessing that he's trying to get a visa for work in Spain, but his
passport suggests that he never returned from his last foreign trip
and overstayed his visit? Can not his return to the States be
proved, otherwise?

The fact that he hasn't entered spain yet is enough.
Old November 1st, 2007, 10:24 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
A Mate

'Stamping' proves absolutely nothing these days. All passports are read and
recorded electronically in every country (except maybe a few very primitive
national entities - Nauru maybe??).

It's the recorded date which counts and matters. I can't imagine Spain as
not being a country which records information electronically, and the USA is
definitely not one.

Stamps are so easily forged and/or manufactured as to be totally risable as
proof of anything.

Old November 1st, 2007, 01:43 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

Coming back from a serious party bender 4 day trip to cancun my friend
and I asked the guy to stamp our passport in philly "so we would know
e made it home".....

he said they dont usualy stamp US passports coming home, but that it
isnt a big deal and did it for us......

Returning from the dominican with my wife and son, my son had his
stamped, my wife and I did not...

No problems....

I cant imagine a spanish official taking the time to flip through
looking for the return stamp....