Travel pack or backpack?

Old September 17th, 2003, 09:18 PM

Default Travel pack or backpack?

John:

The Sport D Duffel is a Tough
Traveler product.

Tom Welch

Oops...... yep you are right...sory abt that!

Question tho.... can this duffle also be worn as a
backpack? Does it have good shoulder straps and a
waist belt?
Old September 18th, 2003, 12:22 AM
Tom Welch

John:

I would strongly recommend a convertible
backpack in your case. They seem to be
very popular in Europe. Do some more research
before making a final decision.

I use Tough Traveler's Sport D Duffel
for short trips and 26' rolling luggage
for longer trips + a small duffel bag.
I still work and travel, but I've learned
to travel lite through experience.

I do not backpack, I'm in my 50's.

Checkout http://www.outdoorreview.com for
reviews on gear.

Tom Welch
Old September 18th, 2003, 04:52 AM
Dan Stephenson

In article ,
wrote:

I have a 'travel pack' - also called a 'conversion pack'. It doesn't
have a cover, but rather the straps tuck into pockets so you can carry
it with a handle like a suitcase.

OK Dan.... that is what Im trying to decide... i.e.
whether to get a "conversion" pack like you have.... or
a real backpack and just carry a bag/cover to put it in
when checking it in to fly.

Well, my point was that keeping possession of your pack means no lost
luggage or waiting around for the luggage carosel. If the pack is
small enough, why not?

Right now Im leaning towards a conversion pack. Now I
just have to decide what brand and model I suppose.
Kind of hard to do as I live in a very rural area and
cant go look at any of this stuff in person very easy

Yeah, too bad.

Im leaning towards the Tough Traveler Tri Zip..... or
maybe the Patagonia MLC.

I looked at the MLC since it was 'official' acceptable to airlines, but
I found the should pads to be too thin - it hurt my shoulder bones when
I weight-tested in my local outtfitter's shop. The Northface Galileo,
while a little too big on the whole, is comfortable enough to carry a
ton of weight _while_ sightseeing all day (which I did, clambering over
the Minoan ruins in Crete last year).

Does anyone know anything abt either of these packs?

Don't know about the Tough.

--
Dan Stephenson
Photos and movies from last year's 3-month European vacation and this year's
Old September 18th, 2003, 04:57 AM
Dan Stephenson

In article ,
wrote:

I have a Northface Gailileo.

Wow that doesn't look like something you could carry
on. Looks to big

It _can_ be that big.

I guess it isn't tho, right?

Well, like I said in the other post, it's a little on the large size,
but when you cinch the straps together with a non-full pack, it can
really get quite shallow. The photo you probably saw was purposefully
ballooned up, with the daypack on the outside, ballooned, too. They
want to shows its capacity. In practice, on my travels it squishes in
depth to 6 to 8 inches deep.

And you can easily get away wit carrying it on a
flight?

yes, because I don't ever need to pack it full, and I believe because I
board the airplane with it in 'suitcase mode'. It's not too wide nor
too deep, it's just theoretically too tall. But I've been on the
smallest puddle jumpers in the Greek Islands and it fits there, too.

Old September 18th, 2003, 02:28 PM

I looked at the MLC since it was 'official' acceptable to airlines, but
I found the should pads to be too thin - it hurt my shoulder bones when
I weight-tested in my local outtfitter's shop. The Northface Galileo,
while a little too big on the whole, is comfortable enough to carry a
ton of weight _while_ sightseeing all day (which I did, clambering over
the Minoan ruins in Crete last year).

Hmm.... too bad abt the Patagonia MLC.

The thing abt the Galileo that I don't like is the
detachable day pack. At least I don't "think" I like
that idea. Id rather not have a day pack at all.....and
instead just carry a super light weight day pack or
belt pack folded up and kept INSODE the main
pack...rather than zipped onto it.

I like the very clean lines of the Tough Traveler for
that reason above.

Maybe Im wrong on that detachable day pack tho? I
don't know for sure. What is your feelings on a
detachable day pack vs one just stored inside the pack?
Old September 18th, 2003, 02:30 PM

Well, like I said in the other post, it's a little on the large size,
but when you cinch the straps together with a non-full pack, it can
really get quite shallow.

Im sorry dan but did you already tell me what SIZE
Galileo you bought?

I see it comes in three diff sizes. How big/tall are
you and what size did you get?
Old September 18th, 2003, 07:48 PM

Well, my point was that keeping possession of your pack means no lost
luggage or waiting around for the luggage carosel. If the pack is
small enough, why not?

Ahhh ..... now I think Im getting you dan...

You are saying that regardless of whether its a
conversion pack.... or a real backpack.... that its
best to keep it small so that it is allowed as a carry
on. Right?

I thought you were advocating one type of pack over the
other..... but in fact you are advocating that WHATEVER
you get.... to try and keep it as small as legal carry
on size as possible
Old September 19th, 2003, 08:09 AM
Miguel Cruz

John wrote:
Maybe Im wrong on that detachable day pack tho? I don't know for sure.
What is your feelings on a detachable day pack vs one just stored inside
the pack?

Having it detachable just gives you more options, right? Nothing's stopping
you from keeping inside if you want.

My pack has the detachable daypack and I very rarely attach it to the
outside. Normally I just use it as a way to organize stuff within the main
pack.

miguel
Site remodeled 10-Sept-2003: Hundreds of new photos, easier navigation.

Old September 19th, 2003, 01:24 PM

Having it detachable just gives you more options, right? Nothing's stopping
you from keeping inside if you want.

True... I suppose

My pack has the detachable daypack and I very rarely attach it to the
outside. Normally I just use it as a way to organize stuff within the main
pack.

But doesn't the main pack look "funny" without the day
pack attached to it? Does the main pack sag or
anything like that without the day pack on it?
Old September 19th, 2003, 06:01 PM
Miguel Cruz

John wrote:
My pack has the detachable daypack and I very rarely attach it to the
outside. Normally I just use it as a way to organize stuff within the
main pack.

But doesn't the main pack look "funny" without the day
pack attached to it? Does the main pack sag or
anything like that without the day pack on it?

Nope, there's just a zipper going around the edge without anything attached
to it. You wouldn't notice if you didn't know what you were looking for.