GPS Car

Old June 14th, 2005, 08:33 AM
George

Default GPS Car

Hi
ANy Idea which car rental provide GPS like Neverlost of Hertz in
location like zurich , paris brussels, Amsterdam
thanks
..G
Old June 14th, 2005, 09:19 AM
Thomas

Hi
ANy Idea which car rental provide GPS like Neverlost of Hertz in
location like zurich , paris brussels, Amsterdam
thanks

I recently hired a BMW 3 Series from Hertz out of FRA, which came with Sat
Nav, only trouble is I couldn't get it to work in English.

Old June 14th, 2005, 03:04 PM
Frank F. Matthews

Thomas wrote:

Hi
ANy Idea which car rental provide GPS like Neverlost of Hertz in
location like zurich , paris brussels, Amsterdam
thanks

I recently hired a BMW 3 Series from Hertz out of FRA, which came with Sat
Nav, only trouble is I couldn't get it to work in English.

Which points out that you need to get everything that you want to work
working before you leave the lot.

Old June 14th, 2005, 03:25 PM
Jordi

George ha escrito:
Hi
ANy Idea which car rental provide GPS like Neverlost of Hertz in
location like zurich , paris brussels, Amsterdam
thanks

Provided you rent an E class or over, you will get it in all of the
usual Avis, Hertz, Europcar, etc. either free or as an option.

For a smaller budget, it is worth e-mailing every individual office and
maybe you will be lucky.

For some time, the Hertz website allowed to tick GPS navigator as an
option in C class cars although none is (was?) equipped with them. The
result is that if you whined loudly enough (for best results, go with a
prepaid reservation), you got a free upgrade to E or special class.

I never had the chance to use it (at that time I always took europcar)
but my mate got to drive 3 and 5 class BMW, Z3, A6 Audi, etc.

J.

Old June 14th, 2005, 05:15 PM
Karen Selwyn

Jordi wrote:

Provided you rent an E class or over, you will get it in all of the
usual Avis, Hertz, Europcar, etc. either free or as an option.

We'll be renting a Mercedes C-class through AutoEurope and we've
requested GPS, but were told it would be a matter of luck to actually
get one. Dissatisfied, we dug a bit deeper and discovered that
InItaly.com rents portable GPS systems that get mailed to US customers
before they leave for their trips. Interestingly, InItaly downplays the
utility of the units they rent. They say they can't imagine the unit
would work well. Pressed, they add that every customer who has rented
one of their GPS units has praised it extravagantly.

I'll report on this when we get home.

Karen Selwyn

Old June 15th, 2005, 09:33 AM
George

George wrote:

Hi
ANy Idea which car rental provide GPS like Neverlost of Hertz in
location like zurich , paris brussels, Amsterdam
thanks
.G

Thank for replies, I just contacted Hertz Paris , and they have it in
peugeot 407 in Zurich it comes with car by default in S class :-( which
is too expensive, I still need to confirm if they have it in any other
car
Old June 16th, 2005, 03:24 AM
Frank F. Matthews

Auto Europe offers a system for $100/week plus an additional $30/week
for countries beyond the first. Expansive but available.

You could buy a cheap US system for $400 or so and add on the extra maps
for your trip. It wouldn't have the right base maps but if you added
the detailed maps that should be OK.

Again expensive but you would have an US system as well then.

Old June 16th, 2005, 06:46 AM
jcoulter

"Frank F. Matthews" wrote in
:

George wrote:

George wrote:

Hi
ANy Idea which car rental provide GPS like Neverlost of Hertz in
location like zurich , paris brussels, Amsterdam
thanks
.G

Thank for replies, I just contacted Hertz Paris , and they have it in
peugeot 407 in Zurich it comes with car by default in S class :-(

which
is too expensive, I still need to confirm if they have it in any

other
car

actually if one already had a pocket PC or Palm they could get a gps
receiver and the load up Mapopolis trial maps good for 9 days. at a cost
of about $150

--
Joseph Coulter
Cruises and Vacations

Old June 16th, 2005, 03:59 PM
Frank F. Matthews

jcoulter wrote:

"Frank F. Matthews" wrote in
:

George wrote:

George wrote:

Hi
ANy Idea which car rental provide GPS like Neverlost of Hertz in
location like zurich , paris brussels, Amsterdam
thanks
.G

Thank for replies, I just contacted Hertz Paris , and they have it in
peugeot 407 in Zurich it comes with car by default in S class :-(

which

is too expensive, I still need to confirm if they have it in any

other

car

actually if one already had a pocket PC or Palm they could get a gps
receiver and the load up Mapopolis trial maps good for 9 days. at a cost
of about $150

The comparison indicated that the OP wanted a system that would compute
and recompute routes.

Old June 16th, 2005, 04:47 PM
Mark Fagan

You have to be check that the system you buy has European coverage
available. I don't believe that TomTom, for example does. You can buy very
compact units from Garmin, such as the iQue 3600, which I have. These are
quite good, and also are fully funcitonal Palm pda devices and can even be
used for the internet (though you need to drag an external modem with you).
The drawback is that the European maps are around C$500.

Michelin offers some units on its website and their map come complete with
Red Guide and Green Guide coverage. However, again I'm not sure if there
North American maps available, and you would have to check this. The units
are expensive enough that you don't want one that won't work everywhere.

Microsoft (through Costco) sells a very inexpensive unit that plugs into
your notebook's USB port. If you're going to take it anyway, and don't mind
the clumsiness of using a notebook while driving, it is a possibility.
However, I believe they use TomTom again, so that leaves out Europe, unless
Microsoft has another source for the maps and database there.