Air travel with a cold - any advice?

Old September 25th, 2006, 06:28 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
[email protected]

Default Air travel with a cold - any advice?

I have heard that it is not always a good idea to travel by air when
you have a cold.

Unfortunately, I can't avoid a particular trip from Sydney to Melbourne
and return.

Any general advice from anyone who has travelled with a cold?

Old September 25th, 2006, 02:40 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Peter Webb

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have heard that it is not always a good idea to travel by air when
you have a cold.

Unfortunately, I can't avoid a particular trip from Sydney to Melbourne
and return.

Any general advice from anyone who has travelled with a cold?

If you are worried by equalising your ears, this should only be a problem if
your sinuses are congested. Most cold medicines contain decongestants and
should fix the problem.

However, if these don't work, buy a cold preparation containing the drug
psuedo-ephedrine. These are available without prescription, but must be
purchased over the pharmacists counter and you will need to provide ID (its
a precursor to amphetamine production, so they keep records for legal
reasons). I have used it on a few occassions for scuba diving, where being
able to equalisie your ear pressure is critical. Take 60 mgs and you will be
fine.

Old September 25th, 2006, 03:21 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
[email protected]

On Mon, 25 Sep 2006 23:40:17 +1000, "Peter Webb"
wrote:

wrote in message
roups.com...
[...]

Provided off course you don't have heart condition

You should check this witha doctor, not online !!!!!!

Old September 28th, 2006, 12:08 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Simon Pleasants

wrote:

If you are worried by equalising your ears, this should only be a problem if
your sinuses are congested. Most cold medicines contain decongestants and
should fix the problem.

However, if these don't work, buy a cold preparation containing the drug
psuedo-ephedrine. These are available without prescription, but must be
purchased over the pharmacists counter and you will need to provide ID (its
a precursor to amphetamine production, so they keep records for legal
reasons). I have used it on a few occassions for scuba diving, where being
able to equalisie your ear pressure is critical. Take 60 mgs and you will be
fine.

I once flew from Athens to Johannesberg, with a quick stop in Mombasa.
I had an awful cold all the way and equalisation was very difficult
and at times the pain was extreme. I would recommend avoiding flying
if you can, which in this case clearly you can't but take note of
advice about decongestants because you will need them.