Places to drive to from Rome

Old March 21st, 2009, 07:30 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Steve[_20_]

Default Places to drive to from Rome

I'm considering a trip to Italy this summer. I'll be doing a few nights in
Rome, however, after that I'm planning on hiring a car and driving to
somewhere nice, then staying a few nights. I am prepared to drive for six or
seven hours if needs be.

I would like to stay a few nights somewhere else in Italy but my knowledge
of the country is limited. I would prefer somwhere scenic - whether that be
mountaineous or coastal. A beach would be nice (but it's not a must). Some
history would also be nice.

My budget for accomodation is flexible, but I'd prefer to spend less than
£100/?107. I'd happily stretch though for somewhere special.

Does anyone have any suggestions where I can go? Any particular regions? I
hear the "heel" area is meant to be nice?

Old March 21st, 2009, 07:42 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Erick T. Barkhuis

Steve:
I'm considering a trip to Italy this summer. I'll be doing a few nights in
Rome, however, after that I'm planning on hiring a car and driving to
somewhere nice, then staying a few nights. [...]
I would prefer somwhere scenic - whether that be
mountaineous or coastal. A beach would be nice (but it's not a must). Some
history would also be nice.

After staying on Malta for 6 days last Fall, I'm pretty sure this would
be something for you.
Have you considered NOT hiring a car, but instead taking a budget
flight to Malta to enjoy the island using local (awesome) buses, there?

We're talking very scenic places (cliffs, old towns, fortresses,
lagoons), history (see The Malta Experience video in Valetta, then
visit historic highlights) and extremely mixed cultures.

In order to get around, you buy a 3-day or 5-day ticket and enjoy bus
rides that are hardly found anywhere else in Europe. Choose Valetta as
your base town, since this is where all bus lines depart from.
Hotels are available in any price range.

--
Erick

"Despite the cost of living, have you noticed how it remains so popular?"
Old March 22nd, 2009, 10:02 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
JuanElorza[_4_]

On Sat, 21 Mar 2009 19:30:29 +0000, Steve wroteÂ*:

I'm considering a trip to Italy this summer. I'll be doing a few nights
in Rome, however, after that I'm planning on hiring a car and driving to
somewhere nice, then staying a few nights. I am prepared to drive for
six or seven hours if needs be.

I would like to stay a few nights somewhere else in Italy but my
knowledge of the country is limited. I would prefer somwhere scenic -
whether that be mountaineous or coastal. A beach would be nice (but it's
not a must). Some history would also be nice.

Orvieto
Bolsena lake
Assisi
Perugia
San Geminiano
Sienna
Montepulciano
Chianciano Terme
Arezzo

Old March 22nd, 2009, 02:02 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tom P[_6_]

JuanElorza wrote:
[...]

Ditto, that would be my list. In 6-7 hours driving you can get an awful
long way from Rome.
I'd also add Lake Trasimeno. Near Trasimeno and Perugia you can also
visit the Lamborghini vinyard and motor museum.

One poster suggested Naples/Pompeii/Amalfi, which are certainly great,
but the area is not good for driving as the traffic is so bad.

South of Naples the historic site of Paestum has some of the best
preserved Greek temples anywhere.

For beaches there are some pretty good locations on the coast north of Rome.

BTW I guess the poster is aware of the traffic restrictions in Rome?
http://www.civitas-initiative.org/me...l?lan=en&id=38

T.
Old March 22nd, 2009, 07:00 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Piero

Steve ha scritto:

I am prepared to drive for six or
seven hours if needs be.

In six or seven hours of driving from Rome, you can arrive everywhere in
Italy, including Sicily and Sardinia...
Tips I've read here are all good, but if you want you can arrive also
very far, like Venice (4-5 hours driving) or Alps (5-6 hours).
I live in Emilia-Romagna region, and also my region is not too far
(3-3.5 hours from Rome) and is very good and with very good cuisine
(Tortellini, Tagliatelle, Prosciutto di Parma, Parmigiano cheese, Aceto
Balsamico), and very good cars (Ferrari, Maserati, Lamborghini factories
are here).
Our sea is not the best as itself in Italy, but is claimed the best as
amusements (parks, restaurants, disco, nightlife, etc.).
If you, maybe, want to go here, you will find many B&B or 'Agriturismo'
(country B&B), and maybe if you will accomodate around Bologna (the
Emilia-Romagna capitol), you are at 1 hour from the sea, at 1 hour from
Venice, at 45 minutes from Florence and at 1 hour from the entire Emilia
Romagna region with foods, towns and other amenities to see...
(All that if highways are clear...)

Ciao, Piero.

Old March 24th, 2009, 07:36 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Bartc

"Steve" wrote in message
I'm considering a trip to Italy this summer. I'll be doing a few nights in
Rome, however, after that I'm planning on hiring a car and driving to
somewhere nice, then staying a few nights. I am prepared to drive for six
or seven hours if needs be.

I would like to stay a few nights somewhere else in Italy but my knowledge
of the country is limited. I would prefer somwhere scenic - whether that
be mountaineous or coastal. A beach would be nice (but it's not a must).
Some history would also be nice.

My budget for accomodation is flexible, but I'd prefer to spend less than
£100/?107. I'd happily stretch though for somewhere special.

Does anyone have any suggestions where I can go? Any particular regions? I
hear the "heel" area is meant to be nice?

If you're going to another city, you might consider the train, unless you're
particularly interested in Italian Autostrade, traffic, and parking tickets.

The best mountain scenery is in the Alps to the north, a long way from Rome.

Coastal scenery is much more accessible, although it's nicer the further
from Rome you get.

For accommodation I use www.hostelworld.com (also does private rooms).

--
Bartc

Old March 24th, 2009, 09:53 PM
kellogg kellogg is offline
Member

Ok so it's nowhere near the heel and might be a bit of a drive (but no longer than what you specified), but I would definitely recommend Lake Garda! In my opinion it's one of the most beautiful places in the entire world and there's so much to do as well: try http://www.gardalake.it/ for a general overview.

You could travel all around the lake, or stay in one place. You might want to look at hotels at www.booking.com/Lake-Garda or even renting villas/ apartments on a site like this one: http://www.casamundo.co.uk/italy/lake-garda/

Day trips to places like Venice, Milan and Verona would be possible should you wish to experience something different during your trip, but I think there'll be more than enough to keep you occupied! Check out the photos on http://www.lake-garda-revealed.com/ if you're still not convinced