Deceptive flight numbering by United Airlines (sham on them)!

Old November 8th, 2007, 07:04 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Nate Edel

Default Deceptive flight numbering by United Airlines (sham on them)!

mrtravel wrote:
The two legs might not even be truly on the same airline; one leg
may be a code share flight.

I have never seen a codeshare using the same flight number as a non
codeshare flight, have you?

No; indeed, I've never seen a US-based airline use the same *range* of
numbers for a codeshare flight as a regular one.

ie. on American, "real flights" are 1-999, regional subsidiary flights are
like 3xxx for Eagle, and codeshares are even higher numbers (6xxx and 7xxx)

Do you think UA codeshares on partner metal when going SFO-HNL?

Probably not, although the opposite - that the UA SFO-HNL flight also has
some partner flight numbers - seems pretty likely.

--
Nate Edel http://www.cubiclehermit.com/
preferred email | "With all the accumulated wit and wisdom in the
Old November 9th, 2007, 06:29 AM posted to rec.travel.air
mrtravel[_3_]

TMOliver wrote:
"mrtravel" wrote...

Nobody wrote:

wrote:

apparent that is not the case. Looks like we have to change planes in
San Francisco. I think this is very deceptive and I have mind to call

There are a couple of advantages to having the multiple flights under a
single number. If there is a snafu, United has greater responsability to
accomodate you than if you had booked the trip on the same planes but
with two separate flight numbers.

Really? Where is this stated?

There are moments in which I must conclude that much posted hereabouts in
respect to your character and conduct must (while somewhat malicious in
tone and tenor) be based upon some original mustard seed of veracity.....

Nope. The previous poster stated that UA had a greater responsibility.
I thought they actually had knowledge of some regulation stipulating
this or were aware of some UA company policy stating this. However,
based on your comments below, you don't know the answer, so you made up 2.

I would not have drawn the conclusion in that fashion, but would expect....

(A) That, if the first leg is late, the second would be unlikely to leave
on schedule since some/many of its pax had booked as a single direct flight.
On the other hand, UA has over the years at least in my case displayed the
occasional ability to f**k up a wet dream....

For a single plane, that might be true. However, airlines often use a
different plane for the other segment. In the reality of the airline
world, if they tie up that plane waiting for a very late connection,
there is a good chance it will cause problems on other flights that
plane has to take.

(B) Under most folks' interpretations of airline practices (and in most
examples I've experienced), by selling the ticket as a single flight number,
UA is an inch or two more likely to pay to put folks up overnight if they
arrive from Denver and circumstances prohibit changing planes and continuing
on the HNL.

Really?
So, if a weather delay stop a UA flight, with the same flight number for
the connecting segments, from continuing after a intermediate stop, UA
would most like put people up for the night at a hotel.

Yeah, right. Do you fly in the real world?
Old November 11th, 2007, 07:23 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Binyamin Dissen

On Thu, 8 Nov 2007 10:14:29 -0600 "TMOliver"
wrote:

:(A) That, if the first leg is late, the second would be unlikely to leave
:on schedule since some/many of its pax had booked as a single direct flight.
:On the other hand, UA has over the years at least in my case displayed the
:occasional ability to f**k up a wet dream....

I have had occasion where the continuation left before my (delayed) flight
arrived.

--
Binyamin Dissen
http://www.dissensoftware.com