NZ Campervan Advice

Old August 22nd, 2006, 04:02 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Vainglorious

Default NZ Campervan Advice

Hello, NZer's!

I am planning a trip to NZ for 3 weeks in February. I am traveling
with a buddy from Austria (I live in the US). Our general itinerary is
AKLHamiltonWaitomoNew PlymouthWellington. (Ferry).
NelsonGreymouthFox GlacierWanakaTimaruChristchurchKaikoura.
(Ferry). MastersonNapierTuarangaAKL.

I can already see that this is too damn much. All driving, no
enjoying. Our current plan is to hire a sizable luxury campervan. With
the van, our flexibility inre lodging is augmented. We can modify our
circuit at will and not worry about scheduled stops and hotel
reservations.

But I have read in this NG's archives that some find the idea of
driving a huge recreational vehicle across the mountains on Rte 6, 8a
and 8 to be a less than brilliant idea, as the terrain is tough and
the giant camper less than agile.

I would appreciate any and all input about the pro's and con's of big
RV's, and the wisdom (or lack thereof) in hoping to circumnavigate the
two islands in 3 weeks.

Thank you muchly,

- TR

Old August 22nd, 2006, 04:36 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
MK

"VainGlorious" wrote in message

[...]

If you are "touring" below the posted speed limit, please pull off to the
side of the road to let the line of traffic behind you pass.

Old August 22nd, 2006, 05:59 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
[email protected]

[Default] On Tue, 22 Aug 2006 13:36:13 +1000, "MK"
offered the following words of wisdom:

"VainGlorious" wrote in message
.. .

[...]

(Hear, hear! I wish the hire companies would get this message through
to their customers.)

Back to the subject:

IMO three weeks is barely enough time to see one island. I recommend
to my overseas friends that they spend at least 3 weeks seeing either
the South Island or North Island. Not both. And February is one of the
busiest times for seeing NZ because it's one of the best.

What is it you want to do while in NZ besides sightseeing?

If you're a beach/watersport person, I'd stay in the North Island
(swimming, diving/snorkeling, surfing, windsurfing, kitesurfing
waterskiiing, fishing, whalewatching, relaxing on beautiful beaches,
etc). But North Island roads are crap and traffic can be very
frustrating. Keep in mind that our so-called "highways" are badly
designed, poorly maintained and usually only two lanes (eg: one lane
each way).

If you're more of a mountain/tramping (hiking) person then I'd
recommend the South Island. Stunning scenery, beautiful lakes, lovely
drives, excellent walking trails and lots of action like
bungy-jumping, whitewater rafting, etc. Also - the roads are much
better and more of a pleasure to drive.

Of course, you can touch these attractions on both island in three
weeks, but I don't think you'll have time to savour them. It would be
like walking through the Van Gogh museum in Amsterdam, MOMA or the
British Museum in three hours. It can certainly be done, but the
experience will be a superficial one.

All the best, b

--

A: Dunno, maybe it's because they're stupid.

Q: Why do some people top-post?

A: Because they are REALLY STUPID!

Q: Why do some people cross-post?
Old August 23rd, 2006, 02:04 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Vainglorious

On Tue, 22 Aug 2006 16:59:52 +1200,
wrote:

[Default] On Tue, 22 Aug 2006 13:36:13 +1000, "MK"
offered the following words of wisdom:

If you are "touring" below the posted speed limit, please pull off to the
side of the road to let the line of traffic behind you pass.

I had already planned on a vigorous "check the mirror and let the poor
buggers pass" approach to driving the campervan. But alas, it won't
matter, as we shall see below...

(Hear, hear! I wish the hire companies would get this message through
to their customers.)

Back to the subject:

IMO three weeks is barely enough time to see one island. I recommend
to my overseas friends that they spend at least 3 weeks seeing either
the South Island or North Island. Not both. And February is one of the
busiest times for seeing NZ because it's one of the best.

snip good advice

Thank you for your input. It has been saved and backed-up.

But as is typical in American companies, my request for 3 weeks off
has been denied, even though I've banked enough hours. They can do 2
weeks, but not 3, and 2 weeks is not worth the cost and effort of
getting to/from AKL then driving around like a madman. Sadly, I will
not see NZ unless I switch jobs, get laid off, or move to NZ
permanently.

That said...NZ single ladies: I'm smart, physically fit, reasonably
attractive, hysterically funny and kind to animals. If you can assist
me in escaping my crumbling Rome of a nation, you will be rewarded
with a lifetime of amiable companionship. Just un-munge my address,
drop me an email and let's get this started.

As Ever,

- TR

Old August 23rd, 2006, 03:33 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Fred[_1_]

news
wrote:

[...]

Will you post any excess offers here please!

Old August 23rd, 2006, 06:30 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
[email protected]

[Default] On Tue, 22 Aug 2006 18:04:12 -0700, VainGlorious

wrote:

IMO three weeks is barely enough time to see one island. I recommend
to my overseas friends that they spend at least 3 weeks seeing either
the South Island or North Island. Not both. And February is one of the
busiest times for seeing NZ because it's one of the best.

snip good advice

Thank you for your input. It has been saved and backed-up.

But as is typical in American companies, my request for 3 weeks off
has been denied, even though I've banked enough hours. They can do 2
weeks, but not 3, and 2 weeks is not worth the cost and effort of
getting to/from AKL then driving around like a madman. Sadly, I will
not see NZ unless I switch jobs, get laid off, or move to NZ
permanently.

Sounds like your employer thought you might like it too much down
here. It's great to be valued, but not so great to be taken for
granted. All the best, b

and for the same reason."

Wax-up and drop-in of Surfing's Golden Years: http://www.surfwriter.net
Old August 31st, 2006, 07:15 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Chris van Leeuwen

"VainGlorious" wrote in message

Hello, NZer's!

snip
But I have read in this NG's archives that some find the idea of
driving a huge recreational vehicle across the mountains on Rte 6, 8a
and 8 to be a less than brilliant idea, as the terrain is tough and
the giant camper less than agile.

I would appreciate any and all input about the pro's and con's of big
RV's, and the wisdom (or lack thereof) in hoping to circumnavigate the
two islands in 3 weeks.

Thank you muchly,

- TR

We have done part of the trip. Wellington pick up of RV and dropoff in
Christchurch.
RV was a 4p type Explorer from Britz. It was a great trip.
Maybe less holiday traffic but good driving in NZ wintertime. It wasn't that
tough.

Chris in the Netherlands.
remove the xx's in adress

Old September 16th, 2006, 11:50 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
[email protected]

I was there this summer and did a very similar route to your planned
one in 25 days.
On return we made a website seeing a missing gap of information on vans
over there.

See http://www.nz.findmeacamper.com

Hope it helps

-Robin.

Old September 18th, 2006, 10:34 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Martin Hunt

VainGlorious wrote:
Hello, NZer's!

I am planning a trip to NZ for 3 weeks in February. I am traveling
with a buddy from Austria (I live in the US). Our general itinerary is
AKLHamiltonWaitomoNew PlymouthWellington. (Ferry).
NelsonGreymouthFox GlacierWanakaTimaruChristchurchKaikoura.
(Ferry). MastersonNapierTuarangaAKL.

I can already see that this is too damn much. All driving, no
enjoying. Our current plan is to hire a sizable luxury campervan. With
the van, our flexibility inre lodging is augmented. We can modify our
circuit at will and not worry about scheduled stops and hotel
reservations.

But I have read in this NG's archives that some find the idea of
driving a huge recreational vehicle across the mountains on Rte 6, 8a
and 8 to be a less than brilliant idea, as the terrain is tough and
the giant camper less than agile.

A lot of people hire normal size camper vans. A larger-than-normal
camper could be a bit slow and cumbersome.

But, whatever you hire, remember to be considerate to other road
users. Campervans tend to be driven more slowly than cars - a
combination of a large square vehicle which catches the wind, and
overseas tourists slowing to admire the scenery. There are not many
passing lanes down that way, so please pull over and let other
vehicles past when you can. I have been stuck behind a few camper vans
(sometimes traveling in a convoy) where the driver seems to be
oblivious of the queue forming behind him or her.

I would appreciate any and all input about the pro's and con's of big
RV's, and the wisdom (or lack thereof) in hoping to circumnavigate the
two islands in 3 weeks.

A small part of one of the islands can keep me busy for a couple of
weeks - but then, I live here.

One option might be to consider a one-way hire. Drop the van off
somewhere down south and fly back to Auckland. Or, fly out from
Christchurch - not sure where you can get to directly these days, but
they do fly to a few places in the USA.

These means you will have to miss out a few places, but you weren't
going to see every place anyway.
--
Martin Hunt
Ngaio
Old September 20th, 2006, 11:48 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Martin Hunt

On Mon, 18 Sep 2006 10:48:54 -0500,
.. wrote:

On Mon, 18 Sep 2006 21:34:17 +1200, Martin Hunt
wrote:
[MSGE SNIPPED]

One option might be to consider a one-way hire. Drop the van off
somewhere down south and fly back to Auckland. Or, fly out from
Christchurch - not sure where you can get to directly these days, but
they do fly to a few places in the USA.

There are no direct flights from Christchurch to the US.
Air New Zealand re-introduced them last summer then suspended them for
the off-season but made an announcement a few weeks ago that they will
not be bringing them back.

Thanks for the correction. From their route maps, it looked as if
there were flights to LAX. But, checking the schedule it turns out
that you have to go via Auckland. But, still worth considering. It
only takes 1hr 20min to fly to Auckland, then you have a couple of
hours to wander over to International. Your luggage will go straight
through (unless they've changed that for flights to the US).

Cath

--
Martin Hunt
Ngaio