Unexpensive Camper Van/Motorhome in NZ ?? | Or better car + Bed & Breakfast

Old September 22nd, 2006, 01:03 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Sybille Schulze

Default Unexpensive Camper Van/Motorhome in NZ ?? | Or better car + Bed & Breakfast

Does anybody know where we can get a cheap Campervan/Motorhome for a trip on
the south island of New Zealand:

16.12.-24.12.2006 2 adults, 1 daughter (no luxe: but solar shower & toilett
would be great). Maybe later (27.-31.12. on the north island too).

Or is it better to rent a car and use bed & breakfast. Do we have to make
reservations at bed & breakfast places in advance, because of high season?

Thanks!

Sabine

Old September 23rd, 2006, 12:01 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
David Bennetts

"Sybille Schulze" wrote in message
Does anybody know where we can get a cheap Campervan/Motorhome for a trip
on the south island of New Zealand:

16.12.-24.12.2006 2 adults, 1 daughter (no luxe: but solar shower &
toilett would be great). Maybe later (27.-31.12. on the north island too).

Or is it better to rent a car and use bed & breakfast. Do we have to make
reservations at bed & breakfast places in advance, because of high season?

Thanks!

Sabine

I'd say you would be just as well off using a car and staying at motels
(most of which have a kitchenette in NZ). By the time you pay higher fuel
costs over a car, more hire cost, and camp ground fees you have just about
made up the difference.
Bed and breakfast does exist, but you may have to look for it.

Just before Christmas in Australia isn't too crowded, generally the mass
holiday exodus starts immediately afterward - I should imagine NZ to be
similar. But if you're staying on the west coast of the South Island, there
isn't a huge amount of accommodation and booking ahead may be wise.

If you're renting a car, firms like Ace Rentals offer slightly older but
reliable cars at a significantly cheaper rental than the multinational
majors . They use three or four year old vehicles imported from Japan.

Regards

David Bennetts
Australia

Old September 27th, 2006, 11:02 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Fred[_3_]

"David Bennetts" wrote in message

[...]

Yep - car and motels are cheaper and better. Good idea to have sleeping bags
or linen as motor camps often have cabins. Good price but you need your own
bedding. Before Christmas you won't have any problem.

Old October 1st, 2006, 05:39 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
[email protected]

After our holiday there this summer, two of us have created 'Find Me A
Camper' to help travellers choose the right campervan in New Zealand.

We've a few hundred vans on it that you can compare and ask questions
about them.

You can have a look at:

http://nz.findmeacamper.com

Old October 8th, 2006, 01:48 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Sybille Schulze

Default Unexpensive Camper Van/Motorhome in NZ ?? | Or better car + motel

thank you all for all your answers! The findmeacamper-site seems to be very
interesting!

We still didn't book any camper and are still thinking about what would be
better: car + motel (for three persons) or campervan.
Does anybody know if one have to pay in the motel for the room or the number
of persons?

Thank you in advance!

Cheers
Sybille

ups.com...

Old October 8th, 2006, 10:31 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Ross[_1_]

Sure do!

If you hire a room for a "double" you pay for two. Extra persons, even
children, cost extra.

Let's face it. Their laundry bill isn't smaller for the extra person's
stay.

Of course, you could always hire two rooms.

Ross

"Sybille Schulze" wrote in message
thank you all for all your answers! The findmeacamper-site seems to be
very interesting!

We still didn't book any camper and are still thinking about what would be
better: car + motel (for three persons) or campervan.
Does anybody know if one have to pay in the motel for the room or the
number of persons?

Thank you in advance!

Cheers
Sybille