Bari, Italy - anything to do?

Old June 11th, 2005, 05:48 PM
Jason Wakeford

Default Bari, Italy - anything to do?

Hi there

I am flying into Bari airport in southern Italy early next month and then
taking the overnight ferry to Dubrovnik.

The plane lands about midday but we've got until 10pm that day until the
boat leaves. Is there anything to do in Bari? I believe it's not the nicest
of places, with a lot of crime. Can we take a short train journey to
somewhere nice with some nice places to eat/beach maybe?

Any tips would be gratefully received!

Thanks for your help
Jason

Old June 11th, 2005, 09:01 PM
Zichu

"Jason Wakeford" wrote in message

I am flying into Bari airport in southern Italy early next month and then
taking the overnight ferry to Dubrovnik.

The plane lands about midday but we've got until 10pm that day until the
boat leaves. Is there anything to do in Bari? I believe it's not the nicest
of places, with a lot of crime. Can we take a short train journey to
somewhere nice with some nice places to eat/beach maybe?

Any tips would be gratefully received!

You could always go and have a look at Father Christmas's bones, aka St.
Nicholas of Myra, in the Basilica!.

Seriously, I was there several years ago and it might have changed since
then but I had quite a good time there. The old "Centro Storico" is very
interesting with quite a lot to see, depending on your interests.

Crime is endemic anywhere these days. The trick is not to go around looking
like a victim waiting to happen.

Old June 11th, 2005, 09:31 PM
Donald Newcomb

"Jason Wakeford" wrote in message
Any tips would be gratefully received!

It's been about 10 years but I remember Bari as kind'a neat. Old walled city
with a castle. Lots of restaurants around the old historic area. Port is
nearby, so you shouldn't have to stay far from where the ferry will load.

--
Donald Newcomb
DRNewcomb (at) attglobal (dot) net

Old June 11th, 2005, 10:23 PM
Luca Logi

Zichu wrote:

Seriously, I was there several years ago and it might have changed since
then but I had quite a good time there. The old "Centro Storico" is very
interesting with quite a lot to see, depending on your interests.

Crime is endemic anywhere these days. The trick is not to go around looking
like a victim waiting to happen.

The main sights are the Cathedral and San Nicola churches, both very
beautiful romanesque style, both in the old centre that is very much
like an arab casbah, labyrinth-like and not easy to navigate. My friends
there tell me that even the police may be afraid to enter.

The main danger (however, a very real one) is being pickpocketed or
mugged. It would be clever not to enter that center with a lot of money
and keep all the documents well protected.

The new city is relatively uninteresting. Most of druggies are in some
periferic neighbourhoods that you are not likely to visit.

--
Luca Logi - Firenze - Italy e-mail:
Home page:
Old June 12th, 2005, 04:03 AM
Frank F. Matthews

Donald Newcomb wrote:

"Jason Wakeford" wrote in message

Any tips would be gratefully received!

It's been about 10 years but I remember Bari as kind'a neat. Old walled city
with a castle. Lots of restaurants around the old historic area. Port is
nearby, so you shouldn't have to stay far from where the ferry will load.

Then again, given the crime mentioned what is he to do with his baggage?

Old June 12th, 2005, 05:41 PM

Jason Wakeford wrote:
Hi there

I am flying into Bari airport in southern Italy early next month and then
taking the overnight ferry to Dubrovnik.

The plane lands about midday but we've got until 10pm that day until the
boat leaves. Is there anything to do in Bari? I believe it's not the nicest
of places, with a lot of crime. Can we take a short train journey to
somewhere nice with some nice places to eat/beach maybe?

Any tips would be gratefully received!

Thanks for your help
Jason

I haven't been there for years, but I do know Bari is in Puglia, home
of buratta cheese, which is very hard to find in the rest of Italy.
Domestic versions can be found in the US, but because it is so delicate
& short-lived, the Italian brands that are so much better rarely make
it across. It is totally delicious in salads, with pasta, antipasto,
etc - like a fresh mozzarella ball filled with thick cream - I love it
with tomatoes, basil, olive oil & balsamic, but I'm sure they have many
dishes with it there. Please enjoy some for me! And enjoy Dubrovnik -
God, I loved that city!

Old June 12th, 2005, 06:05 PM
Donald Newcomb

"Frank F. Matthews" wrote in message
Then again, given the crime mentioned what is he to do with his baggage?

It wasn't a concern when I was there. He may be able to check his bags at
the train station. Or maybe read www.onebag.com? The train station seems to
be about 2km from the port, unlike Brindisi where I recall they were next to
each other. It's been a long time.

Old June 13th, 2005, 10:39 AM
Webmaster http://www.discover.it

Jason Wakeford wrote:
Hi there

I am flying into Bari airport in southern Italy early next month and then
taking the overnight ferry to Dubrovnik.

The plane lands about midday but we've got until 10pm that day until the
boat leaves. Is there anything to do in Bari? I believe it's not the nicest
of places, with a lot of crime. Can we take a short train journey to
somewhere nice with some nice places to eat/beach maybe?

Any tips would be gratefully received!

Thanks for your help
Jason

There is a decious small town near Bari. It's name is Trani. It is
wonderful, has a magnificent cathedral and is it completely safe. I
suggest to take a train and spend there your 10 hours.
Old June 13th, 2005, 07:38 PM
Jason Wakeford

Thanks for that. Sounds perfect. Is there a nice beach there too? How far
from the airport to the railway station and how long to/from Trani from Bari
station?

Regards
Jason