I don't want to be a nervous flyer....

Old January 10th, 2006, 06:43 PM posted to rec.travel.air

Default I don't want to be a nervous flyer....

I'm looking for ways to stop my nervousness of flying. It's gotten to
the point where I think I will never get on a plane again, but that is
debilitating. I've flown many times, at least 35 if you count each take
off and landing. It didn't used to be bad but it's just gotten worse
each time, as if I've become more aware of what's happening and now
expect it before I've even gotten on board. I don't think it's a FEAR;
I'm not affraid of a crash or anything. I think it is more of a
feeling. It's as if I can feel that we're flying, the speed, the
height, the movement..ugg. I also feel a bit disoriented, like I can't
tell which end is up and it always feels like we're tilting or leaning
unnaturally in one direction, or forward or back. I don't feel airsick
or anything, just a feeling like I'm about to freak out and have a
panic attack...all made worse by the fact that that would be
embarrasing, and woulnd't even alleviate the problem. Everything I try
to look up about it deals with a fear/safety issue. Does anyone else
relate to what I'm talking about? I think it might have to do with
control. I hate being a passenger in the back seat of a car as well,
especially if there is no door directly for the back seat. An airplane
is like that for me but of course 10 times worse, and for a longer
time.
The odd thing is I kind of enjoy take off and landing, especially when
being so close to the ground. If the whole flight was say 500 feet in
the air I think I would be fine!

Old January 10th, 2006, 07:00 PM posted to rec.travel.air

In article .com,
wrote:

I'm looking for ways to stop my nervousness of flying... I don't
think it's a FEAR; I'm not affraid of a crash or anything. I think it
is more of a feeling. It's as if I can feel that we're flying, the
speed, the height, the movement..ugg. I also feel a bit disoriented,
like I can't tell which end is up and it always feels like we're
tilting or leaning unnaturally in one direction, or forward or
back... Everything I try to look up about it deals with a fear/safety
issue. Does anyone else relate to what I'm talking about? I think it
might have to do with control.

This is going to sound crazy, but I believe a couple of hours of flight
instruction at your local airport might be a big help. It would help
you understand what's going on with the airplane, and help you connect
the feelings you have as a passenger to what the plane's really doing,
and why.

There are lots of flight schools out there; you can find one, among
other places, he http://www.beapilot.com/ (That site offers a $59
introductory coupon accepted by the participating schools.)

Good luck!
Old January 10th, 2006, 07:03 PM posted to rec.travel.air

That acutally sounds like it would make sense. I wonder if it's worked
for anyone in a similar situation.

Old January 10th, 2006, 08:45 PM posted to rec.travel.air

i'm a private pilot and i agree.

tell the instructor up front your concerns, and you're not interested
in long term plans so they know it's just for a couple classes, and
since you're a nervous flyer will understand that from beginning. tell
the instructor EXACTLY what you posted - you're not freaked out by
flying, but want to understand it more.

sensations are more noticible and direct in a light aircraft, and YOU
will be doing some light turns, banks, climbs and descents. so YOU
will know why and how a plane is doing something.

also GA flights are arond 1,000-5,000 feet around a city, you'l LOVE
seeing sights in your hometown from this level, and probably won't want
to land.

a warning to your wallet: you may like it and want to proceed further

oh and of course schedule in the morning -- 7a - 11am. air is much
calmer.

might want to visit rec.aviation.student and post this with your city,
may get some recommendations.

all the best

Old January 10th, 2006, 08:51 PM posted to rec.travel.air

another tip -- if you have the option fly united and listen to channel
9.

you won't understand everything, but when you hear control talking to
YOUR flight you'll know a few seconds in advance when the plane is
doing something, and will expect it and know why.

if your flight slows in speed for what seems to be a strange reason mid
flight, you'll know it's because they were told to slow for spacing or
whatever reason.

for aviation geeks like me listening to channel 9 is great, and you'll
appreciate the tight control and logistics that make air travel what it
is. (wait i don't know if that statement came out good or bad)

anyway best of luck.

Old January 10th, 2006, 09:43 PM posted to rec.travel.air

How do you get channel 9 while on a plane? That sounds like fun
actually.

Old January 10th, 2006, 10:45 PM posted to rec.travel.air

beavis wrote:
In article .com,
wrote:

[...]

Here's a true story- a couple who survived a crash landing (Hapag-Lloyd
incident at Vienna, a few years back) suffered from fear of flying as a
result, took a course like you describe and- were killed when the
training plane crashed.

T.
Old January 11th, 2006, 12:05 AM posted to rec.travel.air

way to help.

if someone was asking for resources on becoming a flight attendent - i
wouldn't bring up the story about the aloha airlines FA that was sucked
out of the plane.

one morbid coincidence should not discourage.

Old January 11th, 2006, 12:08 AM posted to rec.travel.air

it's up to pilot's discretion. it's been on all about 90% of all UAL
flights, and i wonder if UAL pilot's even give it much thought.

but you could always make a polite request to pilot or FA stating you
chose UAL based on it and were looking forward to it!